SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
My feeling is that Hitec can expect after-market sellers to comply with their specs.

I'm just delighted that Hitec offers REPAIRS at REASONABLE COSTS, otherwise I would be very angry about this situation.

Addendum: I hope these photos clearly show the plug conforms to Hitec's spec, and the odd red/black negative wire USED ONLY ON THE PIGTAIL/CONNECTOR.

The connector is marked "1HX 250."

I once had a Hyperion Duo charger fail, out of warranty, and had to buy a new one at about 40% of retail, rather than obtain repairs (there were none available from Hyperion), so the fact that Hitec makes repairs for us is just icing on the cake of a very advanced "system."
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Last edited by angelfood; Apr 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:31 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Addendum: I hope these photos clearly show the plug conforms to Hitec's spec, and the odd red/black negative wire USED ONLY ON THE PIGTAIL/CONNECTOR.
The wires in the plug are proper oriented and the splices seem to have proper polarity also. Based on that I would have plugged it into the A9 expecting proper polarity at the cells. I have never heard of the red and black wires being improperly installed on the battery tabs.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,567 Posts
Appears to be wired properly.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Hmm...
Spectra 2.4GHz Module Firmware Version 3.01 - Released April, 18th, 2011

* Changed “Scan Mode” to less complex “Scan Function”
* Added compatibility with Hitec’s non-telemetry 2.4GHz receivers
* Improved LED indicator error after Scan is done
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Appears to be wired properly.
I rewired it post damage: as delivered, AT THE SPLICE, the wires were "reversed," and the odd black/red wire made it less than obvious.

So, again, here is what happened: I plugged it in "as delivered," and it smoked my TX; then, AT THE SPLICE, I reversed the leads and the battery worked fine.

Sum: the wires are properly marked at the "tabs" and the odd "black/red" wire is found only on the pigtail.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Last edited by angelfood; Apr 17, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Hmm...
Spectra 2.4GHz Module Firmware Version 3.01 - Released April, 18th, 2011

* Changed “Scan Mode” to less complex “Scan Function”
* Added compatibility with Hitec’s non-telemetry 2.4GHz receivers
* Improved LED indicator error after Scan is done
Minima RX (non telemetry) can now be released and used with Spectra 2.4GHz modules which have been upgraded to V3.01.
New Manuals:
Spectra 2.4GHz Module Firmware Version 3.01 - manual
Hitec 2.4GHZ Receiver V3.0- manual

The new Smart Scan Function is similar to earlier Tip:
AFHSS - How To Select Optimum Channels - For Your Field

extract from new manual is attached, suggest AFHSS users download and read both new manuals.

"Range Check Function"
=====================================
"Warning!"
- Before each flying session to confirm the radio system is working properly.
- Before the engine or motor is started, turn on the system as explained above"
Make sure all the servos and control surfaces are working properly.
If any control surface is not moving properly, do not attempt to fly the aircraft until the problem is solved.

insert
"- Do the range check with the engine or motor running and whilst cycled up <> down which will highlight any vibration/electrical problems"

- If you are unable to accomplish a successful range check of 30 meters or 100 feet
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLY,
=========================================

see also:
Aurora 9 Range Test Procedure .5 g)

20Apr11 added clarification:
"New "smart scan" is basically an easier way of picking a new set of channels per your environment other than going into scan mode and then back to normal mode which is what is recommended to use. Scan mode was nice that it picked a new set of channels each time, but really unnecessary and some of the downfalls with having to cycle power on the both the TX and RX made it inconvenient. First of all note that the Hitec team has never done the scan mode to normal mode trick as we use the same channels picked by normal mode and have flown at all the major events with zero issues. The only time I would suggest you use the scan function is if you need to avoid another device or if somehow you are having problems at a specific field.
Linking telemetry and non-telemetry Rx's... the technology requires a different binding method. When binding the Optima (telemetry) RX's you would utilize the same exact procedure that you are familiar with, but with the new Minima RX's, you must push the link button again to get the blue light flashing. - Mike. "

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to install & Use Instructions (with screenshots).
"Check all Model Functions. Aurora 9 programming is so flexible that no firmware designer could ever envisage
and take into account all the possible user settings and ensure that absolutely none will be effected during an upgrade
and still get the updates out in a timely cost effective manner. (especially free upgrades..)
Monitor screen assists check of each model.
Another reason recheck all functions each model is essential after an upgrade"

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; May 23, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:29 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
I have seen this asked before, but have not seen an answer (but there are over a 1000 pages here), if I missed it then sorry.

The Boda mount that comes with the Transceivers (Optima 7 & 9), can those be purchased somewhere? I would like to share some of my Transceivers between planes and would like to mount the Boda using these.

Thanks,

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
I have seen this asked before, but have not seen an answer (but there are over a 1000 pages here), if I missed it then sorry. The Boda mount that comes with the Transceivers (Optima 7 & 9), can those be purchased somewhere? I would like to share some of my Transceivers between planes and would like to mount the Boda using these.
Thanks,Mike
BODA Antenna Tip Wire (DIY Security for receivers manufactured pre Apr10.) & Spare BODA Holders #58474.

Few retailers list all their inventory on web page -check/email your favourite supplier or HobbyHorse for part:

# 58474 - BODA Antenna Holder 10 pcs. Pack. (includes 10 x double sided mounting tape cut to correct size)

Alan T.
(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
BODA Antenna Tip Wire (DIY Security for receivers manufactured pre Apr10.) & Spare BODA Holders #58474.

Few retailers list all their inventory on web page -check/email your favourite supplier or HobbyHorse for part:

# 58474 - BODA Antenna Holder 10 pcs. Pack. (includes 10 x double sided mounting tape cut to correct size)

Alan T.
(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Thanks !!
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
No problems, nor problems reported with just wire antenna tip exposed as per:
Carbon Fiber Fuse... Report - from well known Glider Pilot and Fly RC author Mike Lee
Carbon Fibre Fuse...Report - High Speed DS

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.

(quick search = Ctrl+F)

Thanks guys.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:14 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
The link process in the new 3.0 Spectra documentation refers to MINIMA and MICRO series receivers:

"Non-telemetry RXs (MINIMA & MICRO Series)"

Any news you can share with us Mike?
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:32 PM
USA, MA, Woburn
Joined Oct 2008
297 Posts
What does "less complex Scan Function" mean exactly?
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
881 Posts
I had my first hiccup today with my A9. I selected one of my planes, and all the controls were wrong. I had to reassign channels, reverse servos and such. I do not know how it got screwed up, but I was on the right plane. Any ideas to point me in the right direction. I flew 3 of my planes about 20 times, and there was only this one instance of "disorginized".

It was the 3rd model I selected that day. After I reassigned channels, it did not give me any more problems. I am still running 1.06.
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarray View Post
I had my first hiccup today with my A9. I selected one of my planes, and all the controls were wrong. I had to reassign channels, reverse servos and such. I do not know how it got screwed up, but I was on the right plane. Any ideas to point me in the right direction. I flew 3 of my planes about 20 times, and there was only this one instance of "disorginized". It was the 3rd model I selected that day. After I reassigned channels, it did not give me any more problems. I am still running 1.06.
1. TX turned off and on again to quickly after that last flight?
Aurora 9 - Off/On Switch problem? TX Auto Saves (flash) Each Session's Programming and Trim Settings etc on Shutdown. Allow time to complete task before switching on again.

2. Any chance an adjustment was made to any mix, condition etc after last flight which could have had an effect on the total parameters for that model?
Aurora 9 - Programming Problem? - Parameters must be set in correct order e.g. V_tail.

3. A password enabled Aurora, may prevent inadvertant entries by "friends" having a look/fiddle.

Alan T.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
What does "less complex Scan Function" mean exactly?
An extract from new manual attached post #15936 above.

Alan T.