HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch_639 View Post
ok guys I am considering the aurora... tell me is tele included? or is that an extra receiver needed? what packages are available for tele and what sensors are included?
The Out of Box telemetry is included, but it's Voltage only. It's very useful, but that's the only one. If you want more sensors, AFAIK you have to add a sensor box and individual sensors. (You can see the list on Hitec web site, but be warned that not everything listed is actually available yet.) People on this site are gradually reverse-engineering, and 3rd party sensors will eventually be available also, but the prices are "normal" for first-quality, brand-name sensors. (E.g. $110 for GPS is the most expensive.) Check http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYPW8 for other sensors and prices, but it's not a complete list.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,918 Posts
Quote:
ok guys I am considering the aurora... tell me is tele included? or is that an extra receiver needed? what packages are available for tele and what sensors are included?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Some, but not all, telemetry is included in the Optima 7 and 9 receivers, and the transmitter is fully ready for those and the other modules.

Go to Hitec's home page and look under "products."
Quote:
Originally Posted by outngo View Post
yes telemetry in 7 and 9
The Optima 6 also has Rx/flight pack voltage telemetry, as standard, however it cannot be extended to do other telemetry, like the 7 & 9.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Basic Telemetry Includes Battery Voltage Level but not "Range Out warning".

As this forum does not support simple copy/paste inc url, please check
Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features (in need - quick search = Ctrl+F) for
Telemetry - Instruction Sheets & User Guide with pictures plus Enhancements Under Development.
Telemetry - Battery Voltage via SPC and/or HTS-SS Blue for EP Models
Telemetry - Flying Range
Telemetry - HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System Due Jun/Jul' 11
Telemetry - HTS-Navi AFHSS 2.4GHz Wireless USB Telemetry Receiver Due Mar' 11
Telemetry - Full installation in Skylink 50cc - Static & Flying Demo - Video( 6 min 29 sec)
Telemetry - Screens & Displays
Telemetry - Screens & Displays - Video
Telemetry - HPP-22 Screen as viewed live on PC/Laptop. - Video
Telemetry - Download Demo 2D Graphic Flight displays of an actual flight. NB: GPS updates every .5 sec and will be fairly accurate for level flight but not dive speed since it is using ground coordinates for the calculation.
Telemetry - Compatibility & Open Source - status
Telemetry System - Spectra 2.4Ghz installed Alternate TX Connections.
Hitec Homepage - Telemetry

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:35 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,833 Posts
Anyone running an Optima receiver in a Carbon fuse?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
No problems, nor problems reported with just wire antenna tip exposed as per:
Carbon Fiber Fuse... Report - from well known Glider Pilot and Fly RC author Mike Lee
Carbon Fibre Fuse...Report - High Speed DS

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:54 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
I am running the Optic 7 on a Avionik hotliner with only the white part sticking out (BODA inside the fuselage) and have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:06 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,546 Posts
Quote:
If I understand your first paragraph, that is correct: the "plug" is identical in shape, color and polarity to that on the OEM battery.

Mike, I'm not condemning anyone-despite the best of intentions, things sometimes happen.

I don't know what SEFF is, but I'll take your word for it that this is why I have not gotten a reply.

As I said, my TX is functioning so far, so can we speculate that the "main board" didn't get hosed?

Thanks, and if I owe Radical an apology, I'm sorry cuz other than the little surprise, the battery is quite well made!

Photo attached: the plugs are identical, but the "red" wire on the Radical battery ALSO HAS A BLACK "side," (it is black and red!), so maybe that's the source of the mistake. I removed the shrink from the splices, reversed the wires, and used black and green shrink to recover (all I had).

LOOK BEFORE YOU USE THEM, FOLKS!
I made a new battery pack for an Optic 6 and ordered a plug like the one on the Hitec OEM pack. When I got the plug I checked to see if it fit the TX and it did. I soldered it to the pack and plugged it in and got the magic smoke. I finally noticed that the wires were reversed in the plug I received. Totally my fault for not checking. The polarity on the Optic 6 TX socket is not marked. My A9 has a bright yellow sticker around the socket with polarity plainly marked. So always check polarity when installing a non OEM battery whether you built the pack or bought it. Anywho, I sent my Optic 6 to Hitec and had it back in about a week for about $23. BTW, I have had great service from Dave at RadicalRC over the years.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,173 Posts
Final day of seff was pretty much yesterday.Ive been here since wednesday and flown a good bit.I am happy to say I did not lose a plane to lockout at seff this year!!!WOOOHOOOO!!!!! Thankyou HITEC for making a rock solid system.I didnt hear of any lockouts this time either tho until talking to the guys doin the spectrum updates to their dsmx.they said they had a cple of reported issues.
All in all I think the new tx pit rules were a great idea.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:45 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I made a new battery pack for an Optic 6 and ordered a plug like the one on the Hitec OEM pack. When I got the plug I checked to see if it fit the TX and it did. I soldered it to the pack and plugged it in and got the magic smoke. I finally noticed that the wires were reversed in the plug I received. Totally my fault for not checking. The polarity on the Optic 6 TX socket is not marked. My A9 has a bright yellow sticker around the socket with polarity plainly marked. So always check polarity when installing a non OEM battery whether you built the pack or bought it. Anywho, I sent my Optic 6 to Hitec and had it back in about a week for about $23. BTW, I have had great service from Dave at RadicalRC over the years.
Sorry to hear of the Magic smoke problem.

Why can't the manufactures just build in REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION???
HUH??? Are you manufactures listening to us???

Let them know folks, this is just plain BS.

Geeze!

MIke R
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:01 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post

Why can't the manufactures just build in REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION??? HUH??? Are you manufactures listening to us???

Geeze!

MIke R
Hey, I can't blame this one on Hitec. If you use Hitec OEM batteries the plugs are polarity protected. On occasion DIY people like me make mistakes doing upgrades. I used a non Hitec plug that had the pins reversed. Not checking the plug polarity was my mistake, not Hitec's. You can't make everything foolproof. You just try to inform potential fools like me as hope I have done with my posting about what I did.
Last edited by Rickochet; Apr 17, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,173 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3943681
A9 baby!no glitches,no bleeps.cple of scars on the bottom of my rudder tho
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Hey, I can't blame this one on Hitec. If you use Hitec OEM batteries the plugs are polarity protected. On occasion DIY people like me make mistakes doing upgrades. I used a non Hitec plug that had the pins reversed. Not checking the plug polarity was my mistake, not Hitec's. You can't make everything foolproof. You just try to inform potential fools like me as hope I have done with my posting about what I did.
Well, I did everything "right," and I don't think I bear any fault for not expecting the unexpected.

However, I certainly will look before I leap in the future!

Mine was not a "reverse" plug problem, but rather the wiring was reversed at the end of the "pigtail," something I had no reason to expect and something I didn't spot on a reasonable inspection I made before use.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:08 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Well, I did everything "right," and I don't think I bear any fault for not expecting the unexpected.

However, I certainly will look before I leap in the future!

Mine was not a "reverse" plug problem, but rather the wiring was reversed at the end of the "pigtail," something I had no reason to expect and something I didn't spot on a reasonable inspection I made before use.
Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you did anything wrong. I was responding to the other post about making the units reverse polarity proof. The plug that fits Hitec units can be purchased in two different polarity configs as I found out. If I had purchased a pack specifically made for the A9 I would have expected it to work without issues. On the Hitec plug looking at the back of the plug as it is plugged into the A9 the red + is on the left and the black - is on the right. If the pins were reversed in the white plug that was a error on the battery builder. If the red and black wires were on the appropriate sides of the plug but connected to the wrong poles at the battery that would also be an error by the builder. I would be having a chat with the battery builder or vendor.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
I sent an e mail, which, owing to SEFF, may not have been read, so I sent the radio in, on Friday.

With this type of thing, I make the inquiry, and if I'm ignored, just take my lumps.

In looking back, I don't think there was anything I failed to do since, as I've said, the plug had red and black in the right places, and the wiring splices looked well-made.

My life is far too short to get upset about whether or if the seller will do anything, and, like you, I just want others to know that even when you think it's safe to go in the water, BE MORE SURE and use a meter to make sure!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:53 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post

Why can't the manufactures just build in REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION???
HUH??? Are you manufactures listening to us???

Geeze!

MIke R
Sorry but I'm not in agreement with this sentiment. Where are the limits on making everything "idiot proof"? While the additional circuitry necessary for reverse polarity protection is not complicated, it does require additional component(s) and attendant losses just to protect against an easily remedied and rare situation. It would make far more sense for manufacturers to adopt STANDARD CONNECTORS and make this problem go away. Of course that doesn't eliminate the problem of wrong wiring, but it puts the obligation where it belongs - on the manufacturer.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing