HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:16 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Discussion
FSD Segway - Now With Follow-Up Video!

I finally got out today to test fly the Segway. The conditions were outstanding, around 20 mph gusting to 29.

This was a very fun plane, exceeding all of my expectations in nearly every area. Inverted flight and loops were pretty effortless. Outside loops were graceful and predictable. But what stood out the most was the outstanding roll rate which I did not expect.

The AUW for this flight was exactly 12 oz. (no ballast!)

I have not had this much fun flying a small sloper in a very long time.

Well, I'll let the video speak for itself...

http://www.vimeo.com/3087077

Here is the follow-up Video taken yesterday. Winds were between 29-39 mph. Still the Segway required no ballast. AUW exactly 12 oz.

Which one should go on the web site???? Decisions, decision.

Segway Soaring II (2 min 27 sec)
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; Feb 06, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:22 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Awesome!
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:31 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,240 Posts
Very, very nice.

Now that's my sort of roll rate
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Feb 05, 2009, 06:58 AM
Composites Kid
Lima, Peru
Joined Jul 2008
3,122 Posts
Wow!

Impressive roll rate.
Beautiful flying site.
Stable loops.
Great flying!

Paige, you've designed a winner!

I've got to get one of these as soon as I "can" *looks at wallet guiltily*
Alex.Schweig is offline Find More Posts by Alex.Schweig
Last edited by Alex.Schweig; Feb 05, 2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 08:18 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
What kind of damage did the doggie do just after the landing?
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:04 AM
Pinetown,South Africa
Joined Feb 2006
196 Posts
[QUOTE=FSD]
I have not had this much fun flying a small sloper in a very long time./QUOTE]

Heck Paige, now I'm forced to save some $$$ for a Segway to keep my Raptor36 and Weasel Pro company. And I am so broke at the moment I can't even pay attention.Damn this addiction that you keep feeding. LOL
Great video and a nice looking plane - Well done Paige
Glen
absolute novice is offline Find More Posts by absolute novice
Old Feb 05, 2009, 11:35 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Paige:

The Segway looks like a super fun flyer! I enjoyed the video... and of course you know I dig "Satch."

The Segway looks very maneuverable and does indeed have a fast roll rate...very axial. I thought the inside loops looked "juicier" than the outside but still very impressive.

I think if Gort returns for a visit, he will upgrade his ride to something that looks like the Segway.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Feb 05, 2009, 12:37 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,667 Posts
While setting up my hang glider at Crestline Launch I saw something swirling by and then saw Paige standing out in the strong breeze.
I strolled on over and Paige graciously offered me the sticks. I think this new design hits the nail on the head. Fastest roll I've ever experienced!
I darn near lost control of the thing when I first touched the stick to turn it around, I think I did at least two complete rolls before I knew what was happening.
I took her well out out front to give me some breathing room. Paige likes to trim for definite positive pitch and I'm used to adding a couple clicks (beeps?) of down to reach a more neutral handling quality whenever he lets me try his birds.
Once I got her trimmed to suit my style I really enjoyed myself. I almost called Paige a liar when he told me the flying weight was less than 13 ozs.
While Paige prefers to stay close in and do a lot of tight rolls and such, I usually go more for the big tall loops and hammerhead turns.
I experimented with looping and got real close to finding the sweet spot of elevator input to get efficient loops. I was pleasantly surprised to find that full-up didn't exhaust the gliders energy nearly so much as I've seen in past designs, and it didn't snap or flick or whatever it's called now.
The glider behaved like it was much larger than it is in the pitching maneuvers. I got big graceful loops, but as the movie shows the roll is quite fast.
I think as the word gets around I won't be seeing much of Paige at launch. I'll have to go to his shop to find him 'cause he's gonna be busy making these things for us Slope Trash.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:12 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Thanks, Flyzwell.

Sal...I also like very high roll rates. It's probably because I'm not very good at those graceful slow rolls which are so much harder. I really like to crank it.

Thanks, Alex...let's hope so.

Absolute: Sorry to hear about your current financial situation. As far as the addiction goes, you might want to consider a 12-step program.

Kpeevyhouse: The dog didn't do any damage. She belongs to a hang-glider pilot who frequents the launch site. Her bark is far worse than her bite. The only thing she does is slobber a little on the wing. I thought it would be cool to cut it off right when she looked like she was going to chomp it.

Dawson...too funny. The Segway required no adjustment after the first few flights. It simply flew out of my hand as you see it in the video. Having said that, I know with some minor adjustments, the outside loop would improve. Thanks for the kudos...high praise indeed from a premier pilot.

Dayhead (Steve): It was great seeing you yesterday. You have recovered well from your nasty crash a few months ago. And it is good to see you hang-gliding again. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Segway. It was good to get the stick in your hands because it gave me an opportunity to watch a different style of flying and how the Segway reacted to it. Thanks...

----------------

The Segway required no ballast yesterday even though the winds were gusting to near 30 mph. This was somewhat of a pleasant surprise considering its light weight.

I'm convinced that it can be built at an AUW of under 10 oz. I know this because I used larger servos (HS85s) than what I initailly called for (HS 55s)

As it stands, I only had to add less than a 1/2 oz. of lead in the nose to achieve the CG. This was sort of what I was shooting for.

Further reduction in weight can be achieved by using lighter weight hardware, like the pushrods and Kwik Connectors. The receiver was a MicroStamp from Berg. Soi it would be hard to go much lighter in that department.

To further help reduce weight, I used 2 mm coroplast. I normally do not like Coroplast. However, this particular thickness (2 mm) is easier to work with and doesn't look ghetto.

This video was thrown together pretty quickly. I will be shooting more in the next day or two and hopefully I will come up with a "definitive" video for the FSD web site.

I am quite pleased with the Segway so far. It still needs some minor adjustments to make it fly a little cleaner.

Release date is set for the week of the 16th.

-Paige
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:35 PM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Looking good Paige!
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:43 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

I took additional footage yesterday with even heavier winds (28-36 mph)...still no ballast. I'll try and post the video before the end of the day.

-P
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2009, 01:11 PM
Posse Member
USA, CA, Coronado
Joined Dec 2008
568 Posts
So cool!

Can't wait to get one.
bretski is offline Find More Posts by bretski
Old Feb 06, 2009, 07:17 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Segway Follow-Up Video

Here is the follow-up Video taken yesterday. Winds were between 29-39 mph. Still the Segway required no ballast. AUW exactly 12 oz.

Which one should go on the web site???? Decisions, decision.

Segway Soaring II (2 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2009, 07:28 PM
Registered Loser
San Ramon, CA
Joined May 2008
268 Posts
Nice Paige.Very nice.
navin is offline Find More Posts by navin
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:11 PM
Sentient Being