SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:08 PM
Buffalo Intl, New York, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Midi F-4 Phantom II construction

A couple of days ago I decided I wanted to build an F-4 Phantom II. I liked Daren's a lot but wanted a little more scaale look to it (more curvy), so I got a 3 view with cross sections and last night I layed out the fuse formers. Tonight I transfered those formers to 1/8" light ply and cut them on my scroll saw. The formers don't have the lightening hols cut out yet - but you get the general idea from these pics.

I will be putting in a midifan, mega 22/30/2, Hacker 77 3P opto, and 16 cells. This one will not have retracts due to cost but maybe the next will . After the bugs are worked out and the prototype flys I will put the design in cad and make it available.

After cuting with a scroll saw the fusalage formers wold be much better if they were laser cut . Oh well next time!!

Here are some pics of the formers resting on the two bottom braces. Can you see a F-4 there? I can =)

-jer
jet_jer is offline Find More Posts by jet_jer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:09 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
another ...
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
last ....
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:49 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
A tip or reminder for you, I recently sheeted the turtledeck on my A-10 with 3/32" balsa and on one portion only used 1 stringer of 1/8 x 1/4" balsa on the top but not at the halfway points going down the curve. I used windex to wet the balsa, and when it dried the unsupported balsa in the middle of the curve shrank so now I have the 'starved horse' look with concave curves. There's not enough balsa there to sand it out and filler would be a pain. The bulkheads are about 6 inches apart or so. I should have added some more stringers but was in such a hurry to start I didn't add them to the drawing. When I did the aft portion of the turtledick I added them and it fixed the problem. Next time I may try a foam turtledeck sheeted with 1/32 balsa so the balsa is supported everywhere.

I know better than this but every now and then you forget something and blam, right in your face!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; May 05, 2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Ed,
Thanks, I was wondering that myself. I guess I will be adding some stringers cross the middle curves. These are the things you like to find out at this stage - nothing is glued

--jer
Old Mar 14, 2003, 01:07 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
looks like a newborn phantom to me ................gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:41 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Here is a little more progress, I only had this evening due to being at the inlaws and the absolute awsome weather here - had to fly. This pics show the fuse ribs almost finnished.

--jer
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
another ...
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:30 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,335 Posts
Looks like a great start. What are you using for ducting? How will the tail pipes be split?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 17, 2003, 07:36 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
The front ducting will be the normal heavy photo paper, the rear ducting will be fiberglass. I havn't actually sat and though about that piece yet, I know I will create some kind of foam piece first that mimics what the tail ducts will look like. Then fiberglass it and melt out the foam. I have never done anything like this in fiberglass before so any help would be great!! I will be searching this afternoon for some hints on this process. I will also need to create a plug for this so I can reproduce it for the kit (again - I've never done this )

--jer
Old Mar 17, 2003, 09:58 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Question: I have been searching and reading many e-zoners processes for making fiberglass ducts and molds. I think I will be creating a mold out of foam first, covering it with packing tape and then fiberglassing over the top of it, finnally meting the foam away. if the duct works and the plane flys good I will create and actual balsa version of the plug which I can wax and make a male plug from. Now to the uestion ... Am I reading and following things correctly?

thanks,
jer
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:34 AM
Czech Republic, Plzeň Region, Město Touškov
Joined Feb 2002
535 Posts
jet_jer,
However you do your rear ducting, make sure you end up with a zero degree thrustline. My MF480 F4 is a real dog to fly due to 5-10 degree 'downthrust' on the rear ducting. It will now be used as a glider/wall hanging!

ooks nice so far, what's the span/length? I have a plan for a .60 sized one (motor in nose) which looks like a perfect candidate for conversion....
Cosmic is offline Find More Posts by Cosmic
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Cosmic: I don't actually remember the exact length & span measurements, but its something like length= ~43" span= ~32".

I was reading another post that talked about getting the thrust tubes as level as possible. I have drawn up my plans on how to form the exhaust tubes and think I have it, the actual dro from the midifan to the outlets is only about 1/8-1/4" so I can form the duct to fall that amount almost immediatly then level everything out for about 4 inches. Should work ok, but we'll find out

thanks,
jer
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:06 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Well, after some flying of my giles 202, I continued with the F-4, the front portion of the inside ducts and outside forward fuse are almost done, I have yet to glue the farthest point of the sides right infront of the fan. Its looking pretty good and going together real easy.

--jer
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:06 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
another ...