HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2009, 01:56 PM
When RC attacks!!!
Glendale AZ
Joined Jan 2009
87 Posts
Whoops!
My Aerobird Swift + me = Epic Fail

My Swift is dead…pretty sure. Got in a new set of wings yesterday and got it all setup last night. Great day for flying this morning so did my pre-flight and chucked it. Flew just fine, did turns, fly a track, did figure eights…then tragedy struck. Rolled over to do a spirited turn to about 60 degrees and pulled back slightly on the elevator. It immediately rolled on to its side and tip stalled into a death spin. I tried to save it but to no avail. I watched in horror as it spun down down down behind the Misty Mountains into shadow and darkness! “Thud”! See aftermath below.

I pushed the fuse back into shape as much as I could and everything looks aligned. The servos work but the wing shifts in the fuse. When launched even with full counter aileron it just corkscrews clockwise. RIP Swift RIP.
StainlessOne is offline Find More Posts by StainlessOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:40 PM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
906 Posts
I think you can fix that. no biggie. I have smashed up my firebird that badly... Should be able to figure out why its rolling in. This is the damage from a few yeard back on my firebird after a wing folded, flew again later that day.

maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:44 PM
East sussex
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
It wasnt a tip stall, you turned too tightly causing a spiral dive/spin. be careful banking too hard on these planes they can enter a spiral dive suprisingly easily.

EDIT. The thing to do on these planes when they spiral dive is to simply let go of the stick and cut the throttle. it will right itself from where you can advance the throttle and carry on flying. you live and learn, this is how i learnt!
MustangP51 is offline Find More Posts by MustangP51
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:04 PM
Australia
Joined Jan 2009
10 Posts
Oh dear Stainless..

Looks remarkably similar to the end mine gave herself the other day..I say "she" as it clearly had a mind of its own...

I did notice flying the simulation of the aerobird swift on my computer that it did enter a spin very easily...Whilst the recovery was conventional, it did require a lot of space between aircraft and the ground for the recovery to take effect...
It does also stall very easily in a turn with a higher wing loading and the result could be quite aggressive.....
DangerousDavo is offline Find More Posts by DangerousDavo
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Yep, on my sim, the Aerobird Swift and the BeginAir are among the trickiest of the "trainer" planes. I'm guessing in the case of the Swift, it may have something to do with the very high-aspect wings. If I recall correctly, the Swift and the BeginAir both have little or no dihedral.

On the high-wing "cub" planes I can goof off with impunity, but with these two planes, I have to be dead serious when the plane is close to ground.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:54 PM
When RC attacks!!!
Glendale AZ
Joined Jan 2009
87 Posts
[QUOTE=maverick06]I think you can fix that. no biggie. I have smashed up my firebird that badly... Should be able to figure out why its rolling in. This is the damage from a few yeard back on my firebird after a wing folded, flew again later that day.

The supports in fuse for the wing are completely torn out so even pushed in tight the wings move around. Any idea why it corkscrews so badly?
StainlessOne is offline Find More Posts by StainlessOne
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:36 PM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
906 Posts
my guess is something is either loose, is out of place, or is damaged. If it is damage that is causing it, then either fix or replace the airfoils. Look for something that is loose, like the carbon fiber tail boom. Glue whatever is loose. If something is out of place fix it. The broken mounts are easy to fix, mine were broken. The plastic spars inside can be replaced with bamboo skewers (cheap at the grocery store).

Pretty much, make sure its all secure and if it is broken fix it. should work out. Just use your brain, I bet you will get it working. Goodluck!

Rick
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06