HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:18 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Any good slope sites in Thousand Oaks, CA area?

Any good slope sites in or around the Thousand Oaks, CA area? Camarillo, Moorpark, Simi, etc. I'm looking at getting a sloper, but want to know if there are any areas that are practical before spending the hard earned $$$. Thanks in advance for the help.

Later,
Scott
smsgill is offline Find More Posts by smsgill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:53 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
Hahahahahahah.....yes. There's flyable hills all over the place.

The most notable:

Smith Hill (aka Glider Hill). This is near the North East corner of Erbes Road and Hill Creast Road. Sorry, I don't have the exact road you take to get up it, but if you're going East on Hill Crest, you pass Erbes, and then make a left turn into one of the small residential streets just a bit past Erbes. One of those roads leads to a dirt road that goes right up the face of the hill. You'll need a four or front wheel drive car or truck to make it up (or you can walk).

Snake Hill: A good, consistant hill in Calabasas, off of Mullholland highway. I can give directions if that's not too far for you.

We also used to fly at Wildwood Park, which is a ridge on the North side of Thousand Oaks that over looks the Santa Rosa valley. Huge lift when conditions were right, but it wasn't always consistant, and access can be a problem.

As for Camarillo, there's a pretty popular site called "The Cross" in Ventura. I think it's somewhere near California street, but I've never been myself.

I'm pretty sure Simi Moorpark has some good hills, but I don't really know offhand.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:34 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
There is also a hill overlooking Oak Park High School. You have to hike up it to get there. Get off of the 101 SB at Kanan Road. Turn left over the bridge and head up Kanan for a couple of miles. Eventually on the left you will see Oak Park High. The hill is overlooking the school. Continue up Kanan. Just over the top of the rise there will be a signal, make a U turn and park. There are a set of railroad tie stairs, start climbing. There are 3 popular ridges to fly off of. Kind of a rough climb, but the view is worth it and the lift is pretty good, from what I have seen, having never flown there. DS'ing is also a possibility if the winds are right.

Enjoy!

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Mar 14, 2003, 07:53 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
I wuz wondering when you'd get around to exploring the area, Scotty! Stop in if you gets down this way. Hope the move went ok and yer having as much fun as I am!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:51 AM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the response and info. Smash/bjaffee, Either of you fly any of these slopes on a regular basis? I'd love to hook up with some locals and pick their brains. I figured there had to be some good spots with the number of hills around here. Maybe I'll take a drive this weekend and see whats up.

Mark, errr Groundloop. Yeah, move went great. I'm definately enjoying the weather this winter. Although the recent articly in Quiet Flyer on the RAMS indoor fly-in made me miss my old e-flying buddies from the great NW. BEC, Todd, Grant, etc. Haven't been doing as much flying lately what with the new arrival and all. I'll definately look you up if I make it to SD. Do the same if you head up this direction.

Thanks,
Scott
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:56 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
Yeah, I actually live near Snake Hill, though I fly most often at the Oak Park hill Smash mentioned (it's near where I used to live). Snake tends to be a major foamie hang out, and I tend to avoid it unless I want to do combat. We fly mostly crunchies at the Oak Park hill.

Reason I didn't mention the Oak Park hil, btw is that it's right in the middle of a neighborhood, and there are lots of hikers constantly walking through the flying area. If you go there, be VERY courteous to any hikers or neighbors you see. We have to be very careful about what the neighbors think of us. Also, make sure you park on Kanan Rd, and NOT in the neighborhood streets.

We once almost lost the hill due to neighbors complaining to the park rangers that what we were doing was dangerous. In reality, they were just upset that we were parking on their block. Once we got access to the hill from Kanan, this wasn't so much of the problem, but I think they still look at us rather suspiciously.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:00 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
BTW, I believe there's a group of indoor fliers that fly at Thousand Oaks High school some nights. That's about all I know, though.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 02:32 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
bjaffee, if you find out more about the indoor stuff, I would like to know. I live in NP and would like to find some indoor stuff to check out. I understand what you mean about Oak Park and fully agree with you. I didn't think about it until you mentioned it... (Jedi Mind Trick)(Smash's hand waves) This is not the glider hill you are looking for.

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Mar 14, 2003, 02:50 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
Sorry, not really being an indoor flier myself, I don't know. You could probably ask someone down at Marty's Hobbies about it though.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:57 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Looks like I need to order that Bluto 56". If either of you find our more about the indoor flying let me know as I'd be interested in that too. Got to have somewhere to fly my GymFlyr. I'll PM you guys my number and home email. Give me a call or email next time you head out. I would love to meet you both.

Smash, I live in NP as well, if by NP you mean Newbury Park. Wherabouts do you live?

Later,
Scott