SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:55 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
I took the P40 for a couple of short flights on Friday. Evidently I changed something on the new monobloc as I had to add some right and downthrust on this one. She flies quick and nice just like they were supposed to. No video this time since the camera I got last year ground it's self to a halt the other day.

Any suggestions for a camera adaptable to the "Noggincam concept"? Any input will be appreciated.

Here's some pics showing the damage, before the rebuild and the repaired bird ready for combat.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:36 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,785 Posts
She's looking Good again! Great you got her flying good too!

My son got me the Canon A640 for Christmas a couple of years ago. it's what I shoot all my vids with. seems to fit my hat/head ok as well.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Bob, I just found this thread and "Omigod, I'm speechless" The P40 is a thing of beauty. You do great work bringing my humble little drawings to life. Thank you and congratulation on another superb build.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:50 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Tony

Welcome back!

If you need assistance finding your threads just use the sticky at the top of the forum.

Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:29 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Bob, I just found this thread and "Omigod, I'm speechless" The P40 is a thing of beauty. You do great work bringing my humble little drawings to life. Thank you and congratulation on another superb build.

Tony
Thanks Tony.... This one is my favorite. It really looks the part in the air. On another note... Jofrost is sponsoring a funbuild contest over in Scale Electrics, so I decided to enter a Hawker Typhoon in the building from plans catagory: Check it out when you get a chance. Bob

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956299
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:35 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
Tony

Welcome back!

If you need assistance finding your threads just use the sticky at the top of the forum.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I appreciate all the work you did and I definitely owe you a beer.

Tony
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:41 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Thanks Tony.... This one is my favorite. It really looks the part in the air. On another note... Jofrost is sponsoring a funbuild contest over in Scale Electrics, so I decided to enter a Hawker Typhoon in the building from plans catagory: Check it out when you get a chance. Bob

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956299
Very nice Typhoon. That's a difficult plane to model but you've captured it. As always, well done.

Tony
Old Mar 09, 2009, 11:16 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2006
74 Posts
Cg??

Hello Tony and Foamenator, where is the CG on this bird? I just wanna thank you for sharing the plans, and I'm building one now using a A22-20L from HobbyCity and we'll see how she flies
Zummy74 is offline Find More Posts by Zummy74
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:16 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummy74
Hello Tony and Foamenator, where is the CG on this bird? I just wanna thank you for sharing the plans, and I'm building one now using a A22-20L from HobbyCity and we'll see how she flies
Zummy the cg is 4" aft of the leading edge. At the point the main chord is 10". I orginally had it 3.75 and it seemed to fly tailheavy although it was balanced on the machine. Bob
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Zummy the cg is 4" aft of the leading edge. At the point the main chord is 10". I orginally had it 3.75 and it seemed to fly tailheavy although it was balanced on the machine. Bob

If it "seems to fly tail-heavy" at 3.75", wouldn't it be worse at 4"?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:05 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
If it "seems to fly tail-heavy" at 3.75", wouldn't it be worse at 4"?

chewy
Hi Chewytm... I may have my terminology wrong. Here is a pic with the bird balanced at 3.75" aft of the leading edge and one balanced at 4" aft. I used the 3.75 when I did the video and crash. Now it is at 4.0 and behaves much better. I may move it forward 1/8th for the next flight. Bob
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:15 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,785 Posts
Now you got me confused, how does it get nose heavy when you move the cg aft?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Now you got me confused, how does it get nose heavy when you move the cg aft?
I guess it is my karma. lol. To me it was balanced perfectly slightly nose heavy at 3.75 for the first flight. It seemed tail heavy during the brief flight.
When I rebuilt it, I may have changed the thrust line or wing incidence because when I took it back out, it seemed tail heavy for sure. I was ready for it and landed with no problem. Next I rebalanced it at 4" with the same battery (as in the pic). It handled much better but on the balancer you can see how nose heavy it looks.

I going to get one of the guys over at the RC Club who's the designated test pilot to fly in and get a second opinion. Plus I can make some video, with a regular video camera. Bob
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,785 Posts
ok, I think I understand, the tips of the balance jig are at 4" aft of the leading edge and the plane sits nose "down", so if you moved the tips forward so that the plane thrust line sits parallel to ground/level, where would they be? In the first picture it looks like the thrust line is also slightly down to front, i.e. slightly nose heavy if the design cg is at 3.75 and the tips are at 3.75. In the second pic, if the tips are at 4.00, then you would expect the plane to be more nose down, even though it isn't really anymore nose heavy. When you say it "balances at 4.00", does it look like the second picture?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:55 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
ok, I think I understand, the tips of the balance jig are at 4" aft of the leading edge and the plane sits nose "down", so if you moved the tips forward so that the plane thrust line sits parallel to ground/level, where would they be? In the first picture it looks like the thrust line is also slightly down to front, i.e. slightly nose heavy if the design cg is at 3.75 and the tips are at 3.75. In the second pic, if the tips are at 4.00, then you would expect the plane to be more nose down, even though it isn't really anymore nose heavy. When you say it "balances at 4.00", does it look like the second picture?
Not exactly. I had to move the battery as well to get the balance point in the picture. Just moving the tips of the balance jig wouldn't have any affect on flight characteristics.

I remember those five cent gliders from when I was a kid. They came with the nose weight attached. To get the type of flight characterisics you wanted, slid the wing forward or aft until you got the flight pattern. More forward for tight loops and rearward for speed.

Fact is I need to get another (better) pilot to help me sort it out and avoid more rebuilds.
Last edited by Foamenator; Mar 11, 2009 at 07:47 AM.