HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:05 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Me too, flew the red and blue ones this week, gonna have to repaint the wing of blu, keep losing orientation - fortunately doinked three times in foot of snow, so no damage! Mini pete (24") almost done, then the P40! Have you remaidened with the new nose?
Haven't re-maidened yet ( interesting word "re-maiden') yet . We are having lousy weather. Hopefully sometime this week will work out. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Dec 2005
39 Posts
I love the Mooney! You have to post more pictures!!! PLEASE!

Quote:
Coop: monoblocs rule! you can make almost any fuse with the monobloc concept and it will go together quick and easier than any other method, and will be strong and square. Rounder fuselages just a little more "interesting".
tr3kilroy is online now Find More Posts by tr3kilroy
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:05 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,410 Posts
Kilroy: i posted two vids in the electric planes vid forum - do a search on Mooney Mite - they are back a ways. also did a build guide thread on this scratchbuilt forum - check the Tony's Planes thread for link.
Bob: sorry to hijack the thread. Back on topic - what are your thoughts on bolting the wing on vs. 4 rubber bands? I've only done rubber bands.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:31 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Kilroy: i posted two vids in the electric planes vid forum - do a search on Mooney Mite - they are back a ways. also did a build guide thread on this scratchbuilt forum - check the Tony's Planes thread for link.
Bob: sorry to hijack the thread. Back on topic - what are your thoughts on bolting the wing on vs. 4 rubber bands? I've only done rubber bands.
I bolt my wings on anytime I can. Its almost a necessity on this bird as the bands would need to stretch about 14" to get across the wings. Bob
Last edited by Foamenator; Feb 10, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:12 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Building up my nerve

Well I think she is ready to go again. The weather here is lousy and it's too cold to paint in my garage, so I slopped some on here in my office.

This crash could be a monument to "monobloc" and the ease of repairing it, if there ever was one.

Weight held to 30 oz.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,410 Posts
Three bolts in a row, I wouldn't have thought of that, but I understand the 13" stretch problem. She looks good as new! Hopefully some nice calm weather for the next flight!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:40 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Hey Foamenator, I think I jumped the gun a little and started cutting/glueing up my P40 already, before you have everything sorted out.

The landing gear mounting you are using and the drawing do not match. I can change things still, but I need a measurement.

Can you give me the measurement from the front of the monoblock to the leading edge of the wing?

Your plane is looking great. I'm a little concerned about the 3 mounting bolts all lined up in the center. I'd think having a couple side by side would prevent wing rocking, but maybe that isn't a problem. Does yours really seem secure?

By the way, I flew my Hurricane a couple days ago. Great plane! It looks beautiful in the air.

Thanks for sharing all your work!

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:18 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Hey Cliff... sorry for the missing info on the gear detail. You could follow Tony's drawing if you wanted to glue the gear in place. I had the idea to make it removable and repairable when I made a bob-boo.

Originally the gear was too flexible and would spring backwards as the plane hit bump. Rather than bend a new gear with heavier wire, I added the "L" flex braces. After the "L" braces, the gear worked great with the slots to guide the wire. Make sure the wire fits tightly into the monobloc slot and snug against the inner sides of the fuse panels. I would cut the slot to match the gear. This will eliminate any rocking of the wings. I missed the original slot so I cut the new slot matching the gear exactly. I just took the material from the newest slot and filled the old slot with glue and let it dry. It is really strong.
Hope this helps, if not let me know. Bob

PS. Do you have any video of the Hurricane? We would love to see pics, etc.
Last edited by Foamenator; Feb 11, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
can't dance..so let's fly.
da zenith of indecision..
Joined Jun 2008
132 Posts
nice build.!

please continue the build & flight report Foamenator,I think I'm going to start the P-40 build sometime soon.I will use your ideas & suggestions.Thanks..!
JOE-TELLY is offline Find More Posts by JOE-TELLY
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:12 AM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
It's good to see and that the WWII series wasn't grounded! Nice job Tony, and to everyone that makes these builds possible. This one is definitely getting built just as soon as i finish our home and set up shop again. Plumbing, electric and spackling are not as much fun as building planes!!!
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,480 Posts
1:1 Scale P-40

This is the P-40 that was at the Gathering of Legends and Mustangs.
It may be of some help to those building this model.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus

What great pics! The old P-40 may not have been quite the performer compared to some other WW2 fighters, but it sure is one of the coolest looking!
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:10 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,558 Posts
Quote:
Wow!! Nice shots, and of interest is a P-40K model which I think is one of the rarest models left extant, often referred to as the "ugly Ks" due to the fillet attached to the leading edge of the vertical fin to increase it's area and help with torque correction on take-off.

Foamenator - Hoping for the best 'next flight'. I'm interested to see if you add the flowing wing fillets of the P-40 to your build.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Feb 14, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:45 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Interesting that it bears the Flying Tigers markings but has USAAF roundels. Must be one of the late-war "Tigers".

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:47 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82
Wow!! Nice shots, and of interest is a P-40K model which I think is one of the rarest models left extant, often referred to as the "ugly Ks" due to the fillet attached to the leading edge of the vertical fin to increase it's area and help with torque correction on take-off.

Foamenator - Hoping for the best 'next flight'. I'm interested to see if you add the flowing wing fillets of the P-40 to your build.
Thanks Gnats.... I'm sure she will fly fine. I won't be adding the fillets to this one. The KFm wing doesn't have a conventional airfoil and the fuse is square to the wing. I'm currently building a Hawker Typhoon and it will have some serious ones due do the fat built up wing. Here is a link to that build. Let me know what you think. Bob
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post10979429