HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2009, 06:13 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,616 Posts
Cliffh: is it as cold in your barn as in mine? 0F and wind chill -????? (darn global warming!)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:27 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Oh man I have been busy these last 2 days so I am just now getting around to finding this thread. Damn she was pretty. Plans downloaded and going to print them tomorrow. lol man is my wife going to be so happy I have ANOTHER plane to build. Nice work as usual Bob, you always seem to set the bar kinda high for follow up builds .
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:05 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan
Oh man I have been busy these last 2 days so I am just now getting around to finding this thread. Damn she was pretty. Plans downloaded and going to print them tomorrow. lol man is my wife going to be so happy I have ANOTHER plane to build. Nice work as usual Bob, you always seem to set the bar kinda high for follow up builds .
Jhtitan.... Welcome aboard. This bird will continue the test program. She's all back together except for painting the new nose section. I was tempted to fly her and then finish the painting later, I think I'll get a test pilot so I can get some good video of it.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:49 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Cliffh: is it as cold in your barn as in mine? 0F and wind chill -????? (darn global warming!)
Yes it is! But the good news is that it is warming up....into the 40's and 50's next week. MORE good news....my wife has decided to make one of Tony's Hurricane's. I just finished my Hurricane and starting on the P40. I have the plans printed and cut out....now just need to tranfer to foam and start cutting.
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:01 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
Foamenator it would be nice to have a build thread on this. I do not understand what a monobloc is and what it is made of. Is this a depron plane or epp?
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:25 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop
Foamenator it would be nice to have a build thread on this. I do not understand what a monobloc is and what it is made of. Is this a depron plane or epp?

monoblock is the main fuse component, if you look on the plans its marked, its cut from 2" foam. I use Blue Core from lowes. it can be done from lots of materials, EPP and even stacks of Fan Fold or Depron. it gives 2 nice square sides to work with makes the build much easier and it adds tones of strength to the fuse, for those of us less than excellent fliers .

I have my plans ready to be printed. build may have to wait a few weeks. hoping to be moving soon and my wife will not be happy if I start un-packing stuff lol

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:41 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Coop... The monobloc is shown in the first post in about the 5th picture down. The P-40 is third in the series. The first one was the MO-109 and I wrote a complete build log on it. Take a quick glance at it and you will be able to see the typical construction methods. Here is the link:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794317

My favorite material for the monobloc is EPP but I ran out. The monobloc shown in the P-40 log is from a piece of 2" packing material I rooted from the trash. The replacement monobloc was cut from the same piece and I was able to attach it to the salvaged fuse with no problems.

If you need specific pics or info as you go along, just sing out and we will get them to you asap. Good luck with your build... Bob
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:37 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,616 Posts
Cliff: You are an exceptional man! To have my wife interested in the hobby would be amazing! We, like most, I suppose have mutually exclusive hobbies.

Coop: Lurk any of Tony65x55's threads and search on monobloc, you'll find a wealth of info on how they look, work, materials, etc. He's the master of monobloc!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2009, 01:44 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
WARNING: Once you build a plane using the "monobloc", you will be hooked. There is no turning back. The plane will come out square, easy to build and fly nicely.

If you don't have a bandsaw or a scroll saw, try to find someone who does though. It will make cutting the monobloc very easy.
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Feb 06, 2009, 02:24 PM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
I understand it makes it easier but looking at the 109 that was done with this method it was too square for my taste. The P-40 is a good plane for this method though.
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:11 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
785 Posts
I Love P40 B Models There's just something a little Snarly about a B Model

Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:29 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
I understand it makes it easier but looking at the 109 that was done with this method it was too square for my taste. The P-40 is a good plane for this method though.

Coop... You are right about this particular use of the monobloc. However you can use the concept to acheive other designs while keeping the essential monobloc benefits which to me are 1) strength 2) ease of repair 3)easy and accurate construction. Here are a couple of other monobloc design uses.: Hope it helps.
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:12 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,616 Posts
Coop: monoblocs rule! you can make almost any fuse with the monobloc concept and it will go together quick and easier than any other method, and will be strong and square. Rounder fuselages just a little more "interesting".
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:18 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Springer..... I love those Petes... Classic Classic
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,616 Posts
Me too, flew the red and blue ones this week, gonna have to repaint the wing of blu, keep losing orientation - fortunately doinked three times in foot of snow, so no damage! Mini pete (24") almost done, then the P40! Have you remaidened with the new nose?
RCG Plus Member