HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2009, 03:21 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Discussion
Introducing the **P-40 Blu-Tiger** designed by Tony65x55

Last fall Tony and I started working on his latest addition to the 1/10th scale WWII warbird fleet. I finished the prototype sometime ago, but as the video will attest, I need to do a little more tweaking.

The specs are: WS 44"; length 38"; AUW with 1500 mah lipo is 38 oz. Power is a BP-21. I deviated from Tony's specs to make a few scale like changes mainly to the canopy.

Construction is strictly conventional monobloc, and I'm sure anyone who has built a AP Blu-baby can build this plane. Take a look at the pics and if you have any question, ask me. I have Tony's complete pdfs. Enjoy the flight.... especially the debris field. Bob

Link to the video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995261
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Feb 03, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2004
789 Posts
What a piece of art gents!!! Very nice. Should get a lot of people building again
MadDuc is offline Find More Posts by MadDuc
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:06 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Yee haw!!! What timing - I've been away from RC groups and just today at lunch went looking to see if Tony' secret project had ever been posted.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:12 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
51 Posts
sweet as usual!
r1chard is offline Find More Posts by r1chard
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:24 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Another gem guys! I can't wait to build one.
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:27 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
That's beatuiful, Bob! The canopy looks great. What's in there that makes up 38oz? Looks more like a 20oz bird.

Vid looked like an aft CG. You really kept your composure though. When I make a vid like that it ends up containing language not suitable for children.

Maybe this will get Tony to log in again.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Feb 03, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 06:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,851 Posts
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright, gotta clear off the build table! Will watch the vid tomorrow at library.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Feb 03, 2009, 07:24 PM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
I assume the wing is removable? Could you show more about the wing saddle or whatever meathod you us to attach/remove the wing?
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:40 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Wing Saddle details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod333
I assume the wing is removable? Could you show more about the wing saddle or whatever meathod you us to attach/remove the wing?
Here is the detail of the wing setup. Let me know if you need anything else. Bob
Old Feb 03, 2009, 09:22 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
That's beatuiful, Bob! The canopy looks great. What's in there that makes up 38oz? Looks more like a 20oz bird.

Vid looked like an aft CG. You really kept your composure though. When I make a vid like that it ends up containing language not suitable for children.

Maybe this will get Tony to log in again.

kendall
LOL... The weight is in the wheels ... I thought the wing would bend when I hung them on the first time. Of course my paint systems (brush it on heavy and often) probably adds a little.

I've consistently had problems with the CG location on the KFM wings. Here are the pics of my balance point prior to the first flight. I'm obviously missing it somewhere.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 09:41 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the comments for everyone. I think this design will be very popular. I apologize for the delay in getting it back in the air, but I got side tracked as usual.

I've entered a monobloc design in the Funbuild II contest over in Scale Electrics. The fuse is monobloc based but will have built up wings to accommodate retracts, and flaps.

I have the P-40 ready to paint, but I'm rushing to finish the fuse of this one to paint them both at the same time using my new paint system from Mrs. Santa.

For those of you who are interested, here is the link to the build thread. Your comments will be much appreciated over there as well. Bob
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post10979429
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:12 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,851 Posts
Bob: just watched the vid. eeeeeehhhhhwwww! Bummer! She did seem tail heavy. where was the balance point for that first flight? Fortunately foam repairs well. Hope to see a new vid of the remaiden and some super swoops!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:31 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Bob: just watched the vid. eeeeeehhhhhwwww! Bummer! She did seem tail heavy. where was the balance point for that first flight? Fortunately foam repairs well. Hope to see a new vid of the remaiden and some super swoops!
The balance was the one shown as pic #5 in post ten. I don't know if the balance point was wrong, but it sure seemed like it. I'll recalculate it when I get it back together. Bob
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:41 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,851 Posts
Wow, still looked like she was slightly nose heavy - a good thing for a maiden. (I only looked at the thumbnails, didn't see the comment) Doesn't KFM like a more aft cg though? I'll be happy to let you do the detective work on this one, and provide guidance when I get ready to build her!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:08 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Well, I built 2 of the Blu-Babies, one for my wife and one for me.
Also the Hurricane and the Challenger biplane. All great fliers. Now I'll need to go out to the barn and get a couple sheets of FFF and do another.

THANKS!
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh