SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:31 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
doing harrier rolls inches off the ground.
N I C E ! (no need to holler L O W E R !) Sorry bout you catching a tip Losi and your friends 51". Done the same thing....TWICE My NEW saying to others while I'm doing wing-up and pre-flight---STFU (Shut the F**K UP)
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:41 PM
Dacono, CO
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
Since I got my 42 Slick in December I have read all 510 pages of this thread, watched all of the videos at least twice. I look forward to the new posts each day. What amazes me is how well all of you fly this thing. I bought the Slick to learn some pattern flying and perhaps a couple of 3D moves. I crashed my fist slick on the 10th battery. Not just a pancake or some cartwheel either. I have bugs on my car windshield that didn't hit that hard. I read one post where someone called that "rekitting". I may need to get 2 more to hide in the closet for "rekitting" the way I fly.
I took my second Slick out today. I decided to fly three mistakes high until I get the hang of it. I could barely make the plane out up there. I am certain that DIA approach had to redirect planes on final and I am 40 miles away. What are those FLY LOW stickers that came with the plane for? I was a little nervous on this maiden since I still don't know what mistake I made to pile drive other one. A "little nervous" could be an understatement. I could have made diamonds with coal dust between my butt cheeks. I had a buddy do some video but it came out too shaky. Not because he is bad with a camera, he was just laughing too hard.

I got three batteries through the slick today and I love flying this plane. Can't wait to get good at it.

So anyway I have one question. The instructions for control throws for low rates say 25mm for aileron, 20 mm for elevator and 40 mm for the rudder. Is that each direction? I am serious, it really isn't clear.

Thanks for the help
blamo
blamo is offline Find More Posts by blamo
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:53 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blamo View Post
So anyway I have one question. The instructions for control throws for low rates say 25mm for aileron, 20 mm for elevator and 40 mm for the rudder. Is that each direction? I am serious, it really isn't clear.

Thanks for the help
blamo
Yeah, that is travel in one direction. It's good to fly 3 mistakes high when you are first learning. Just remember that landing is the only maneuver that is required.
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:28 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,897 Posts
Quote:
I got three batteries through the slick today and I love flying this plane. Can't wait to get good at it.
blamo

Are you flying off of LAMA Field??
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:41 AM
Winter is getting closer!
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Since I got my 42 Slick in December I have read all 510 pages of this thread, watched all of the videos at least twice. I look forward to the new posts each day. What amazes me is how well all of you fly this thing. I bought the Slick to learn some pattern flying and perhaps a couple of 3D moves. I crashed my fist slick on the 10th battery. Not just a pancake or some cartwheel either. I have bugs on my car windshield that didn't hit that hard. I read one post where someone called that "rekitting". I may need to get 2 more to hide in the closet for "rekitting" the way I fly.
I took my second Slick out today. I decided to fly three mistakes high until I get the hang of it. I could barely make the plane out up there. I am certain that DIA approach had to redirect planes on final and I am 40 miles away. What are those FLY LOW stickers that came with the plane for? I was a little nervous on this maiden since I still don't know what mistake I made to pile drive other one. A "little nervous" could be an understatement. I could have made diamonds with coal dust between my butt cheeks. I had a buddy do some video but it came out too shaky. Not because he is bad with a camera, he was just laughing too hard.

Thanks for the help
blamo
Welcome!!!!!!!!!! I noticed that was your first post
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:02 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the help
blamo
Welcome, Yes thats both directions. The easiers way I have found for setting up control throw is with a AJ throw meter from 3dhs. Well worth the few dollors for it.

The slick is the plane that everything started clicking for me. I could harrier all day and do some knife Edge spins, tumbles and stuff like that before. I got the slick when it first came out in July. Few big for its size(it was so much smoother and slower flying than the other planes I had) B/c it was so smooth and stable I was able to hover really for the first time(I had hovered before buy always fell out or yanked the wrong input, so it was my frist contoled hover) Since then I have really worked on hovering better and then rollling harriers, blenders, and such. I highly recommend watching bone docs 3d clinics(they are what taught me)

Good luck with the slick
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:19 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I guess with these weights I will never get to experience the full 3D potential of the Slick.:
Don't believe that. Does the plane fly well to you? When you look in the sky do you have a large smile? Does the plane perform maneuvers to your liking?

If "yes" to the above, your plane is flying to the potential of the Slick.

"The full potential of the Slick" could only be fully realized by the perfect setup, perfect pilot flying perfectly.

You can worry about making changes to your setup or you can fly what you have with great enjoyment.

My plane is not a lightweight and everytime it flies I smile and I am happy with what I pull off as a fat plane 3D pilot.

If you seek to get that perfect setup, I would say go buy a new one and do it from the beginning and have two slicks

I may do that so I can finally realize all the nirvana I have been told I am missing out on

Remember.... Happy with the plane, smiles when you fly, competent in the maneuvers you are attemping. That is having fun
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:47 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
... The easiers way I have found for setting up control throw is with a AJ throw meter from 3dhs. Well worth the few dollors for it.....
Or better yet, buy a 51" Slick. The meter comes free with it.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:07 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,288 Posts
Quote:
I was a little nervous on this maiden since I still don't know what mistake I made to pile drive other one. A "little nervous" could be an understatement.
It would be easier to help if we knew your experience level. New guys face a little different challenge from those who have the basics mastered.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:18 AM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Yeah it does sound like he needs some good low throw suggestions to smooth things out.
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:57 AM
Dacono, CO
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
It would be easier to help if we knew your experience level. New guys face a little different challenge from those who have the basics mastered.
I am a product of the PNP industry - strictly sport flying, all park flyers. I can fly on the sim as far as hover and some other 3D but after dumping the first Slick I am probably over cautious.
I am working on basic pattern flying for now.
If I try to hover or harrier it will be up high.
I am using the recommended throw for low rates with 35% exp.

Looks like I can fly again today.
Where do I finds Docs instruction video?
Thanks for the input guys.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:11 AM
Waco, Tx
Joined May 2008
240 Posts
Blamo Bone Docs 3d clinics are a sticky at the top of the 3d flying thread.
waco-rc is offline Find More Posts by waco-rc
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
Dacono, CO
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waco-rc View Post
Blamo Bone Docs 3d clinics are a sticky at the top of the 3d flying thread.
Okay - Thanks - I found it at the "electric airplanes / 3D flying" Looks like everything one would need.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
I am a product of the PNP industry - strictly sport flying, all park flyers. I can fly on the sim as far as hover and some other 3D but after dumping the first Slick I am probably over cautious.
I am working on basic pattern flying for now.
If I try to hover or harrier it will be up high.
I am using the recommended throw for low rates with 35% exp.

Looks like I can fly again today.
Where do I finds Docs instruction video?
Thanks for the input guys.

Oops posted it and saw you found it. :-). Welcome bTW:

A EPP foamy will also help you get some nerve. They are so disposable nowadays even if you manage to destroy one.. You pull out your electronics and move it into another one.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
Don't believe that. Does the plane fly well to you? When you look in the sky do you have a large smile? Does the plane perform maneuvers to your liking?

Remember.... Happy with the plane, smiles when you fly, competent in the maneuvers you are at temping. That is having fun
Shoot I'm smiling about it right now sitting here in totally IFR conditions unable to fly in the foggy, drizzling, rainy sky! Wish I could get out there this afternoon, worse WX than I thought it would be. Tomorrow still looks good.

What is your AUW and with what packs?

I know what you are saying and I do see that, but I have to always be careful or it bites me. Yesterday I got slow (up high fortunately) and it started walloring the wings all over the place rolling left then right then left, maybe my sloppy rudder BB-373MG was jittering again, seemed to be Yawing back and forth, got very unstable, had to hit the gas and get out. It was flying level with 30% power. Could have been the wind up above was a little stronger. Had to fight it to get it back under control. Strange.

Going to try my 1300 20C tomorrow (if it is no more than 5mph) and see how it behaves at the "Light" extreme. Then maybe get some 1350 Rhino's and 1600 Flitemax Zippy's. My 1800 Zippys will be come my new Heaviest Pack for windy flying.

I have now thought about a Yellow one as a "Light" Setup and fly the Red one for high speed aerobatics. Or with this weight, maybe do it up in a WWII Fighter Scheme and turn it into a Tank Buster.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer