HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:08 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,187 Posts
Tim, a credit card slipped between the velcro makes it easy both ways. You can get fancy and make a "tool" out of 1/32 ply with one end rounded like a tongue deperssor. Then it's easy to work it in between.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:46 AM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
148 Posts
Finished my Slick and waiting for some snow to melt before maiden. I was thinking about wing loading and wanted to figure out what my Slick came in at but I can not find any specs on the wing area, 3D Hobby does not list this figure. Does anyone know, not sure I know how to figure square area correctly.

My all up weight was 34oz, 2oz over weight from what I've read. I don't think this will be a problem though. Just interested in the numbers and dreaming of flying days to come.

Robby
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:19 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
34oz is a light set up. I dont know anyone thats at 32oz. Mine with 72G motor, 65mgs all around , 136Gram battery, 72 omega is 34 oz. I am sure I could lose some weight if I went to lighter servos and a smaller battery but it flys so good the way it is , there is really no need. Most of the slicks are comeing out around 34 to 36 ozs

Good luck on the maiden
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:22 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonicMan View Post
Finished my Slick and waiting for some snow to melt before maiden. I was thinking about wing loading and wanted to figure out what my Slick came in at but I can not find any specs on the wing area, 3D Hobby does not list this figure. Does anyone know, not sure I know how to figure square area correctly.

My all up weight was 34oz, 2oz over weight from what I've read. I don't think this will be a problem though. Just interested in the numbers and dreaming of flying days to come.

Robby
Says 373 sq in. on the AEF Phoenix Demo Vid Intro screen.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Last edited by heritageflyer; Jan 24, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wrong city for vid
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:31 AM
Team CAPACITY
United States, IN, Osceola
Joined Feb 2008
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782 View Post
speaking of avatars. why wont it let me change mine? sorry for off topic can someone PM me for help on changing avatar?
make sure your changing your avatar and not your profile pic on the "My Rc Groups" tab.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.
pstrdenver is offline Find More Posts by pstrdenver
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
Enjoying the nice weather
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post
make sure your changing your avatar and not your profile pic on the "My Rc Groups" tab.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.
Thank you! I was changing wrong thing.
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
Team CAPACITY
Joined Feb 2008
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782 View Post
Thank you! I was changing wrong thing.
Have you maidened your slick yet?

I haven't. Waiting on a prop.

Waiting a prop for my 47" SHP now too. Chipped it pretty bad yesterday on a botched landing.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:03 PM
Carteret, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
1,256 Posts
Took out the little slick this afternnon and moved the cg back some more. It feels like a whole new plane now. I think I'm happy with it there. I just need to take a touch of the expo out next time because it feels a little too soft at certain times.

Chris
cje0114 is offline Find More Posts by cje0114
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:20 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,834 Posts
Two Successful Aftermath Test Flights

I got to fly too. Had been running errands all around town and had the Slick in the trunk. Was hoping the higher than forecast winds would die down the later it was. When I got to the field, flags were straight out flapping. More wind than I was looking for to try some (after the repairs) test flights. but it was steady.

Used my 2200 20C's due to the wind and had two nice checkout flights. Easily trimmed it out then flew inverted. Still slightly nose heavy with the pack all the way back. Was hoping for little wind to try the 1800's a little farther back since there is actually room to go back with those. Also had two 1300 20C's with me to try, but no way in that wind! Thinking about ordering a couple 1600 20C's to play with.

Was very pleased with the way it handled even in the cold stiff breeze today. Everything seems to be working smoothly again. Spent a lot of time practicing Harriers, Elevators to Harriers, maintaining altitude in Harrier turns and worked on lazy Snaps. I love to see the Slick do those! Didn't attempt the Hover after the Snap, just worked on smoothing out the Snap at different speeds and exiting in a vertical attitude, then just fly away.

The biggest thing I was happy about today was that all the Throws were set to the 3DHS recommended settings last night on the radio. On Low Rates, 30% Expo. Have never tried Expo that low before on the Slick and it flew perfectly for me. Felt good! On High Rates, had 55 Elevator before and more than the recommended Aileron, but now 45 Elevator and 30 Aileron with the recommended Expo. Seemed very well behaved even in the wind. Had two smooth landings and the freshly glassed CF LG held up just fine.

Was feelin' pretty chilled after that so headed for the hanger. Was very satisfied with things back to better than normal.

Hoping Monday's forecast sticks and I get to have more time in warmer air.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:59 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
We're definitely Blessed with the weather we've all been having in the North. Great to hear your flights went well
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Team CAPACITY
Joined Feb 2008
1,361 Posts
heritage, good to hear it still flies beautiful for ya!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:49 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,834 Posts
Flying Tank

Well guys, just found out some very revealing info on my Slick...

I bought a new 10# Digital Food Scale today at Walmart before flying. Brought it home and broke it out for some checks empty and with each of the 4 different battery sizes I have.

Apparently since the Nose Rebuild, (Motorbox, 3 front bulkheads, LG box) back in Nov. when the PowerUp 480 fried, I have gained significant weight. Actually I gained mine over the Holidays, but the Slick got it probably during the rebuild and some since.

Looks like it is in the A-10 Warthog category now weight wise,,,

Empty Airframe: 35.3 oz.

Zippy 1300 20C AUW = 39oz.
(which hasn't flown yet)

Zippy 1800 20C AUW = 40.6oz

Zippy 2200 20C AUW = 41.2oz

Zippy 2200 30C AUW = 41.9oz

(Guess I'll relegate the 30 C's back to the EDF)

Looks like I'll have to get some 1550-1600 size and use the 1800's. Save the 2200 20C's only for 10+ Mph days like tonight was. Stop using the 2200 30C's. Seems awful heavy to me although it does wicked Tumbles with the 30's in it. Just not a Harrier machine or Floater at that point.

I guess with these weights I will never get to experience the full 3D potential of the Slick. Save an ounce with a 72g, but it would probably be working hard to pull this load around.

Anyone else (including Losi) with the 103g or CJE and Wedge with your Turnigy's have some weights for me to compare how over the top I am??

Good thing I fly with the wheel pants off! Could be the straw that breaks it!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
At your weight there is no way tha 72G motor will handle that for very long.

Mine has an Auw of 35.2 ounces with the 103 in the front and a 1800mah lipo in it
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:58 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
I do have to do a little fixing on my slick tomorrow as I droped it today doing harrier rolls inches off the ground. My wind tip hit and it did a really nice cartwheel. That was th esecond time the tip hit. The first time it flip right onto the gear and I kept on the throttle and took off again. It looks as though its just going to need sone CA on a few parts and thats about it. I got really lucky.

A friend of mine didnt get so lucky with his 51 slick as he had to buy a new one today. (he forgot to plug the ailerons in before he took off and it didnt end well)

I crashed my heli today too. Wasnt a good day(weather wise it was perfect though)
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,834 Posts
Man, sorry about your buddy's Slick, but that's what Preflight Ground Checks are for. I trashed my P-47 last June because I failed the Controls Check and didn't catch it. Had the radio still on the EDF. 15 sec flight and then a new Fuse...

All I can do on my Slick is remove the pile of white gorilla overflowed from the gear box repair, maybe kill an ounce there, at least half an ounce. Other than that I'm stuck with it now. Next time if I ever get another 42 Slick, going to be the 72g and light as possible.

Knowing what I know now, amazed at how well it performs overweight, like your brother's Heavy 51. My sink rate in Elevator is probably about like his! No wonder it wants to fall out when slow. Even laterally balanced it this time. Now I'm thinking take that nickle back off, save the weight. Just disappointed I'll never feel the real potential with this one running this heavy. Kind of explains why it KE Spins so hard and Tumbles hard too.

Sorry to hear about your Heli too! That repair can't cost as much as what I bought today! Ordered my new Frames and Lenses today, $449 w/tax. (and that's discount price). My lenses have to have 5 options in them, Transitions, Safety etc., and have to have Stainless Frames due to metal allergies. I could have had a finished 51 Slick for that price probably! Hope they make a HUGE DIFFERENCE for that price!!! They'd better! Hope they make flying easier and not harder.