Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:53 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
No, I don't think we're connecting on this topic. If you want test production outrunner motors looking for big efficiency gains, be my guest. At the end of the day, we'll still be using 70-80g production outrunners to 3D this size of plane, and having a great time.
And still only getting 6 to 7 minute flights...

If the omega manufacturer actually tested their motors and put the specs out in plain sight for buyers to see, I never would've brought anything up to begin with - heck, I might have even bought one.
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
With a 2200 mah pack I get 8 minutes
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
Carteret, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebergy View Post
And still only getting 6 to 7 minute flights...

If the omega manufacturer actually tested their motors and put the specs out in plain sight for buyers to see, I never would've brought anything up to begin with - heck, I might have even bought one.
That's what made me shy away from them and go with the Turnigy 35-36C instead. There was plenty of real world testing and numbers to sort through on HK's website. I'd rather see real world numbers and testing rather then, "Yeah it works good and doesn't get too hot".

BTW..I'm not saying the omega is a bad motor. I never used one so I wouldn't be able to make that statement.
cje0114 is offline Find More Posts by cje0114
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:14 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,816 Posts
Ok, this is a question for the motorheads on here since lots of talk about motors. This would involve my ESC and the Omega 103g.

Is there any setting besides Hard Start on an ESC that might help get more rapid acceleration or Throttle Response in the lower range? I think one of the reasons I am having trouble preventing fallouts or recovering in time before dropping the nose off too much is I can't get the motor to spin up fast enough when I hit the gas. I know KM said something about this on another thread just the other day about cheaper ESC's and slow throttle responses. It just seems lazy on the throttle until you get up to the higher end.

Running a BP-45A ESC (Suppo) I believe.

Here's the tunable settings in the programming related to this:

Throttle Setting:

Auto Throttle Range (Default)
1.1ms to 1.8ms
Hard Start (Default)
Soft Start

Not sure how you can have both the Auto and Hard as Defaults, when it shows each as a separate setting in this group... I have run both Hard and Soft Start. Soft right now, going back to Hard Start again.

Timing Mode Setting:

1 - For lowest current/higher efficiency w/low RPM
7 - Compromise for higher RPM than 1, lower current draw than 15
15 - Higher current draw, low efficiency with high RPM
30 - For High-RPM Outrunner Motors

I chose the last one, 30 and tested on wattmeter, gave me highest output.

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Setting:

8khz - For low RPM and low pole count motors (Default)

16khz - For most Outrunner motors

I chose 16khz.

Any ideas especially about the Timing or PWM?? I'm thinking the Throttle Setting/Starting is the closest thing to "Acceleration" as on other ESC's.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Last edited by heritageflyer; Jan 13, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:50 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
Warren, I had the same issues with 2 of the esc I bought from hobby king. After buying a good esc I found that they are much better and smoother. I wont buy another cheap esc again. You really need a good esc to 3d
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
If you are running APC props, they are heavier and tend to be slower because of their weight. Try switching to a Xoar prop or similar. At least that is what I found.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:14 PM
Carteret, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Ok, this is a question for the motorheads on here since lots of talk about motors. This would involve my ESC and the Omega 103g.

Is there any setting besides Hard Start on an ESC that might help get more rapid acceleration or Throttle Response in the lower range? I think one of the reasons I am having trouble preventing fallouts or recovering in time before dropping the nose off too much is I can't get the motor to spin up fast enough when I hit the gas. I know KM said something about this on another thread just the other day about cheaper ESC's and slow throttle responses. It just seems lazy on the throttle until you get up to the higher end.

Running a BP-45A ESC (Suppo) I believe.

Here's the tunable settings in the programming related to this:

Throttle Setting:

Auto Throttle Range (Default)
1.1ms to 1.8ms
Hard Start (Default)
Soft Start

Not sure how you can have both the Auto and Hard as Defaults, when it shows each as a separate setting in this group... I have run both Hard and Soft Start. Soft right now, going back to Hard Start again.

Timing Mode Setting:

1 - For lowest current/higher efficiency w/low RPM
7 - Compromise for higher RPM than 1, lower current draw than 15
15 - Higher current draw, low efficiency with high RPM
30 - For High-RPM Outrunner Motors

I chose the last one, 30 and tested on wattmeter, gave me highest output.

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Setting:

8khz - For low RPM and low pole count motors (Default)

16khz - For most Outrunner motors

I chose 16khz.

Any ideas especially about the Timing or PWM?? I'm thinking the Throttle Setting/Starting is the closest thing to "Acceleration" as on other ESC's.
If your transmitter has a throttle curve, you can raise the lower points up some so that the motor spools up faster. I believe my 9303 has a 6 point curve, but i' m not positive. It might only be a 5 point. I've used it to soften up the curve around center so that electric planes would feel a little more sluggish in a hover like my gasoline powered planes. It got rid of that pogo stick effect and made the planes react much more like the bigger planes that I'm more used to.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:23 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cje0114 View Post
That's what made me shy away from them and go with the Turnigy 35-36C instead. There was plenty of real world testing and numbers to sort through on HK's website. I'd rather see real world numbers and testing rather then, "Yeah it works good and doesn't get too hot".

BTW..I'm not saying the omega is a bad motor. I never used one so I wouldn't be able to make that statement.
I just compared my experience with Chinese motors/HK and my experience with Ben and it was a no brainer to go with Ben's recommendation. Not that HK or Chinese motors are bad, they have their place. But not on my first string planes.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:52 AM
Enjoying the nice weather
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
I just compared my experience with Chinese motors/HK and my experience with Ben and it was a no brainer to go with Ben's recommendation. Not that HK or Chinese motors are bad, they have their place. But not on my first string planes.
I like that! " First String Planes"
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:42 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I know KM said something about this on another thread just the other day about cheaper ESC's and slow throttle responses. It just seems lazy on the throttle until you get up to the higher end.
All of the guys at my field who fly Omega are also flying Airboss ESCs and they love them. I think if you replaced your ESC with an Airboss 45 you'll be delighted, and you can also use that ESC in the 47" planes.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:09 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
55 Edge (recommended setup) = zero issues
40 Edge (recommended setup) = zero issues
49 Sukhoi (recommended setup) = zero issues
46 Vyper (recommended setup) = zero issues
51 Slick (recommended setup) = zero issues
42 Slick (HK Motor/HK ESC) = zero issues*

* that I am aware of.

I feel left out here. I just plug the stuff in as recommended and seem to do all right. Lately, this has been like reading one of my Medical textbooks..... I am searching for all the diseases I think I have now

Can't wait til Spring ;-)
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:12 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,816 Posts
At least you're close to the Cleveland Clinic....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
Pretty sure that just about every motor aside from Neu, Hoffman, or any of the other big names are made overseas.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:31 PM
Carteret, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
55 Edge (recommended setup) = zero issues
40 Edge (recommended setup) = zero issues
49 Sukhoi (recommended setup) = zero issues
46 Vyper (recommended setup) = zero issues
51 Slick (recommended setup) = zero issues
42 Slick (HK Motor/HK ESC) = zero issues*

* that I am aware of.

I feel left out here. I just plug the stuff in as recommended and seem to do all right. Lately, this has been like reading one of my Medical textbooks..... I am searching for all the diseases I think I have now

Can't wait til Spring ;-)
it seems that hobbyking has taken over my local field in the past year and I am yet to see even one failure from a motor, esc, or lipo. It think it's safe to say that hk components are ok. Well as long as they are used properly anyway...

The only thing that I don't like and will not use from hk are the servos. I had one explode on a 450 size heli last year. That was the first and last time I used cheap servos.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:37 PM
Carteret, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
All of the guys at my field who fly Omega are also flying Airboss ESCs and they love them. I think if you replaced your ESC with an Airboss 45 you'll be delighted, and you can also use that ESC in the 47" planes.
I use a mystery 40a esc on my little slick. The throttle response is silky smooth. I have read reports though that they come from the same factory as the airboss esc's. I'm not 100% on that but there have been some comparison tests done out there to back that statement up.