Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Take a look at this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22686
much better than the original hobbyking one. The space inside is tighter, and the little window actually rubs my hands a bit, it doesn't arch up real high like the original one. But this has a fuzzy lining and small sleeves for your hands to go into. It is very warm down to 25-30 degrees for your hands. Would probably be fine even colder, but we don't really get colder than that here.
Keeps the wind out nicely. I sold my old style turnigy mitt after getting this one.
Looks like a pair of wool lined kids shorts with a plastic fly window lol

I need to see my DX8 screen and not have the glove sitting on my thumbs while I move the sticks around. I think I'm too picky for any of the gloves or mitts I've seen. I admit the ones made by the gut here on RCG look like the best and since he makes them custom per order if I decide I want one in the future I would probably use him.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:50 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,114 Posts
That is one of my complaints, not being able to see the screen on my 9503 very well through it, but I can fly without it. It is harder to hear the timer through this one though! With a dx8 that wouldn't be a problem since it vibrates too.
I've seen the guy who custom makes them, but aren't they something like 75 bucks?
This one is nice since it is so darn cheap.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:12 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,475 Posts
Some things just aren't worth going cheap on imo of course. I found that removing the tip of the thumb and index finger from a pair of cheap brown cotton gloves worked great. I can work the sticks fine and have the finger tips at the ready to flip my switches. Last Sunday was great that way. Heck my feet got cold long before my thumb did. I need better shoes
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
There is also a guy on RCG who makes some pretty smokin warm ones.
Warm is good!
The tx goes out with a fresh charge. Batteries go in inside pockets.

Frost bite sneaks up on ya. That I know.

The problem I keep in countering is my eyes some times start tearing
uncontrollably. That becomes trouble.
Two hands on the sticks! Chris
Oh! bicycle, driving and golf gloves are too tight.
Try hunting gloves
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Last edited by Wamp; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: additional
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:25 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
I use cheap jersey gloves. They keep my hands warm enough to get a few flights in when its really cold and they are only a dollar a pair.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:03 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
First time out after repairing my little Slick, this AUW is a bit lighter then the first build that comes around 36 oz with 3s 1800. Kid of forgetting how floaty this little one is. Have three flight this morning before my fingers became numb and the wind started picking up- 25 degree/ 10+ mph. However, I did my first crankshaft today, have three full rotations and loud roars, I thought the plane was falling apart!

I cannot fly with gloves on, also my eyes will tear that is really bothersome, especially there are kids watching me flying. Can't wait for spring.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:21 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,528 Posts
Mine is up for sale with omega 103 and solar servos. 2 zippy compact 1800's. 150+ship pnp.
Thanks!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
Shot in the dark here. ... I've been looking to get the 51" AJ Orange for a couple months now, and haven't seen them in stock....

Well.... was at a RC auction yesterday and saw an old Red 42" AJ and was able to get it for $95. As you can imagine I was ecstatic, got home last night, checked out the plane, set up my radio, charged batteries and took it out today for a flight.

I was amazed and impressed. I have a Crack Yak Lite so this AJ is my first Balsa 3D. I was enjoying this airframe when things took a change for the worst. Plane got squirrely and she fell out of the sky.

Post-crash analysis determined that the prop nut came loose in the spinner and hence no power from the prop. It is a scorpion SII-3014, 1040kv motor and one of my checks was the prop nut, but somehow it backed off.

I was able to get the plane flat, but with no airspeed she dropped out of the sky. She nosed down pretty hard and busted up the nose real bad. All other surfaces are good to go, so I think a new fuse and Im back in business. Battery box took the worst hit. The sides of the fuse are still good, pretty much anything that the battery box is connected to, broke.

I looked on 3DHS and saw they had a fuse for the 42" (no image available) for $79.99. So trying to see if that is the right fuse, or if there is one anywhere out there, or if I should just order an entire new airframe. Thoughts?
AK Flyer 76 is offline Find More Posts by AK Flyer 76
Last edited by AK Flyer 76; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:20 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Flyer 76 View Post
Shot in the dark here. ... I've been looking to get the 51" AJ Orange for a couple months now, and haven't seen them in stock....

Well.... was at a RC auction yesterday and saw an old Red 42" AJ and was able to get it for $95. As you can imagine I was ecstatic, got home last night, checked out the plane, set up my radio, charged batteries and took it out today for a flight.

I was amazed and impressed. I have a Crack Yak Lite so this AJ is my first Balsa 3D. I was enjoying this airframe when things took a change for the worst. Plane got squirrely and she fell out of the sky.

Post-crash analysis determined that the prop nut came loose in the spinner and hence no power from the prop. It is a scorpion SII-3014, 1040kv motor and one of my checks was the prop nut, but somehow it backed off.

I was able to get the plane flat, but with no airspeed she dropped out of the sky. She nosed down pretty hard and busted up the nose real bad. All other surfaces are good to go, so I think a new fuse and Im back in business. Battery box took the worst hit. The sides of the fuse are still good, pretty much anything that the battery box is connected to, broke.

I looked on 3DHS and saw they had a fuse for the 42" (no image available) for $79.99. So trying to see if that is the right fuse, or if there is one anywhere out there, or if I should just order an entire new airframe. Thoughts?

well... a) 51" is promissed to be in stock at adc at 11.02. b) why fuse? why not motorbox? c)next time get omega, motrofly or hacker... and d) if all is not complete splinters,you might be able to patch it up?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
a) adc, Googled. Looks like you said 11 Feb. They dont however have a motor box available. Back Order...
b) I dont think the motor box is the worst of it. it seem to be anything that the motor box was attached to.Patch work might be possible, but I am concerned that with almost every cross-member from the firewall to the wingtube broke, there would not be enough structure to deal with torque. Also blew out whatever the LG was mounted to. He (previous owner) had put individual CF Landing struts on this bird, and both of those broke off the plane as well landing hard on the belly. (See pics attached)
c) Figured the motor was fine albeit that's what he must have been flying, but if I get a 51" AJ I will be getting the Omega.

Trying to best determine the best way to go...
AK Flyer 76 is offline Find More Posts by AK Flyer 76
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:12 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
a) adc, Googled. Looks like you said 11 Feb. They dont however have a motor box available. Back Order...
b) I dont think the motor box is the worst of it. it seem to be anything that the motor box was attached to.Patch work might be possible, but I am concerned that with almost every cross-member from the firewall to the wingtube broke, there would not be enough structure to deal with torque. Also blew out whatever the LG was mounted to. He (previous owner) had put individual CF Landing struts on this bird, and both of those broke off the plane as well landing hard on the belly. (See pics attached)
c) Figured the motor was fine albeit that's what he must have been flying, but if I get a 51" AJ I will be getting the Omega.

scorpions has collet style adapters, unlike motrofly/omega/hacker which has bolt on adapters... some people doesn't like collet style adapters because of your 'reason'..

and khmm... there is no omega for a 51" best motor is motrofly 3615... hacker is also good but some people doesnt like it and motrofly is definetely better!
and well, yeah... motorbox would be your best option.... but since they are out of stock...
your slick is old version so it has weaker lg mount and if you order a new fuselage it would look funny with a new scheme fuselage and old scheme wings!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:14 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:

The original red slick had the two individual LG struts. Frame patchwork is ok if you have all the pieces and the time. I would look for another one or possibly someone elses wreck that has an intach motorbox and if all else fails order a NIB. Best plane out there in its size.
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:48 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,475 Posts
Motorbox for the newer version is in stock but not sure how well it would fit. You should call 3DHS Monday and ask if they match up or not. Their MB kits come with the first 3 formers LG plate and battery tray. If it matches up def. the cheapest way to repair it since the wing sleeve is intact.

Otherwise just order a new one. Great little plane. I will say if this was your first Balsa plane you should probably get the edge instead. Much easier to learn on due to very stable post stall flight. It's also onlt 109 bucks as apposed to 149 for the Slick and like I said the Slick is not nearly as forgiving if your not out in front of it. jmo for sure
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:51 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:

Am I missing something The orange 51" is in stock. They no longer sell the old 42" fuselage. The one you see is for the new red one.

https://3dhobbyshop.3dcartstores.com...e_p_15855.html
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:57 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,475 Posts
I had a great afternoon with the Slick. Got 7 flights in while some light snow fell. Not too breezy. Warmed the hands every other flight. I can say without doubt that the CF gear is stronger than they used to be. Dropped it hard from a Harrier landing last week and broke the both wheel hubs and zero damage to anything else. I put some larger wheels on for the rough soccer field I fly at close by. Getting much better at Harrier flight and landings. left turns at me are still not natural but I am allot more comfortable that I'm not going to drop a wing. 4 minutes of hard flight on the new TP 2100s left 35% so I should get another 30sec. easy.