HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:44 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter0509
I have a question on tracking. When it is said that one plane tracks better than another, is this refering to up lines and down lines or is it something else?
Scott
All the above... it's simply it's ability to iron out whatever it's flying through, and just how well it "stays where you put it". If you've only flown sports planes (and these 3D birds depending on how you set them up), a properly trimmed pattern ship will blow your mind in this regard.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:51 AM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan
What weight is your battery? Just wondering where I should put my velcro.
The one I put in last night is a 3DHS 3s 2200 20C which is probably pretty close in weight to most of the 3s 2100-2200 packs out there. I put my velcro right over the 3D Hobby Shop logo...sorry Ben. Pretty sure the battery will be all the way back on the tray when it's all said and done....that's for a slightly tail heavy bird. With that said, getting ready to order some 30C Rhino 3s 1550's which will be lighter but I doubt it will change the placement that much. Also...I have not flown it yet and basing my statements on my experience with the 51" and Bob's flight report this morning.

Steve
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:55 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,685 Posts
Just ran home on lunch to check the UPS guy came through! I opened it up quickly and I am dieing to get back home to start building. It just feels big even though it is such a little plane. The coverings are top knotch. Beautiful plane guys!
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:56 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Mar 2006
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
All the above... it's simply it's ability to iron out whatever it's flying through, and just how well it "stays where you put it". If you've only flown sports planes (and these 3D birds depending on how you set them up), a properly trimmed pattern ship will blow your mind in this regard.
Thank you. This is what I kinda thought but I thought it was best to ask. I have thought about a dedicated pattern plane recently but my fundalation has been squeaky. I would probably go with the Aspera but I think I would like something a bit larger. I have a Hacker A30-10XL and a Hacker 55, a receiver, servos waiting for something to put it in. I was saving it for the 51" Slick but would consider a Pattern ship for it.
Scott
Scooter0509 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter0509
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:57 AM
Joined Jun 2007
57 Posts
just thought id chime in and say i just ordered my first taste of the kool-aid lol just been flying about 3 months and mostly just sport flying the eflight stuff now im gonna see what all the talk is about these good lookin planes
peeworm is online now Find More Posts by peeworm
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:58 AM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,643 Posts
It is overall, when pulling from a downline how does the airplane lock into a line and how does it track overall. The track of an airplane could feel almost like an elevator servo is not working correctly. It just does not seem to lock onto a line.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:08 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Mar 2006
943 Posts
Thank you Andrew. I switched my lunch hour with a co-worker so I am hoping the package gets dropped before 2:30 so I can grab it. Pretty amazing how this hobby turns this 40 year old into a 12 year old at Christmas. You guys are doing a great job.
Scott
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jesky
The 42" Slick was designed to have a little higher cubic loading then the 51". The plane will 3d as well as the 51" but should actually track just a little bit better. I have been flying mine quite a bit and it seems to do everything that I could have wished for.

Andrew
Can someone explain cube loading in laymen terms? I have read a bunch of technical stuff and get that it seems to be about scaling of a plane and know where to find the calculator but that is about it. Does it equate to buoyancy of a boat?
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:09 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Scooter,

I ordered a 42" slick and an Aspera (pattern plane)... I get the slick today and the Aspera should show up tomorrow!!! KOOL AID OVERLOAD!
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:11 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeworm
just thought id chime in and say i just ordered my first taste of the kool-aid lol just been flying about 3 months and mostly just sport flying the eflight stuff now im gonna see what all the talk is about these good lookin planes

Oh boy, you are in trouble.

There is no turning back...............

Welcome to the group
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:14 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Mar 2006
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsy
Scooter,

I ordered a 42" slick and an Aspera (pattern plane)... I get the slick today and the Aspera should show up tomorrow!!! KOOL AID OVERLOAD!
Is there such a thing as KOOL AID OVERLOAD Conrats on your new planes.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:28 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan
Can someone explain cube loading in laymen terms? I have read a bunch of technical stuff and get that it seems to be about scaling of a plane and know where to find the calculator but that is about it. Does it equate to buoyancy of a boat?
more or less. weight for a given area of wing. planes with higher cube loadings will have more inertia, will track a little better, fly better in wind, because they're more resistant to being pushed around. Can also mean that it's harder to recover them from flying errors, though you could probably also say that they resist being flown into errors a little more.

Planes with lighter wing loadings are generally easier to fly, pushed around more in wind, will happily change direction in a heartbeat, have less inertia to carry out maneuvers with energy alone, if you get into problems it's easier to fly out of, but it's easier to fly them into problems also.

A short example... my 47" Edge is really slick and smooth and axial for rollers. Ultimate AMR is super floaty and gives you a ton of chances to flit and float about, bounce out of issues. While the AMR can get really slow and by a lot of measures is easy to roller, the Edge is easier to roller because the stirring is more consistent and even because it has more weight carrying it through the maneuver. Ask me which one I like to roller better, and it's not an easy choice
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:37 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Look who just pulled up to my house!!!

Working in my Home Office, and glanced to my right......Oh Yeah!!!!!

Welcome to your new home Mr Slick!
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:38 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,643 Posts
Sweet!!! Have fun building the rest of the day.
Andrew Jesky is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:42 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing
Working in my Home Office, and glanced to my right......Oh Yeah!!!!!

Welcome to your new home Mr Slick!
So much for that work day LOL
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa