SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:09 PM
Registered User
ambientech's Avatar
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
Have you guys tried the Spyder batteries? I've got some 3s 2200 25c batteries that have been good and are only 29.99. You can charge at 3-5c and they have a 10% off going on right now.
Some of the local heli guy's have been beating on some Spyder packs with great results. I plan on getting some to try in the spring. Kevin is a local to me and is a top notch guy.
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
I got 4 flights on the 42 in today with my brother(we both have new 42 slicks ) We stopped b/c the winds was a bit rough and the rain was comeing. It then rained the rest of the day . So 17 flights in 3 days. Man im slacking. I used to get that easly in a day
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:14 PM
Team 3DHS
wamsy55's Avatar
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I was only tested by the WIND.
Hahah .... Lucky ....
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
Registered User
ambientech's Avatar
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I got 4 flights on the 42 in today with my brother(we both have new 42 slicks ) We stopped b/c the winds was a bit rough and the rain was comeing. It then rained the rest of the day . So 17 flights in 3 days. Man im slacking. I used to get that easly in a day
We got to fly in 15-30 mph winds today Talk about fun
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Yeah we maidened my brothers in 20 to 30mph winds. Its fun BUT when you are trying to work on a maneuver its a pain. It was a north wind today and thats the worst at our Field as it creates alot of turbulence

Oh Chris I am really starting to get TRing! I had it down about 1 foot off the ground yesterday . I even got a tail touch while doing it!! I was soooo excited I almost crashed
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:31 PM
Registered User
ambientech's Avatar
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Yeah we maidened my brothers in 20 to 30mph winds. Its fun BUT when you are trying to work on a maneuver its a pain. It was a north wind today and thats the worst at our Field as it creates alot of turbulence

Oh Chris I am really starting to get TRing! I had it down about 1 foot off the ground yesterday . I even got a tail touch while doing it!! I was soooo excited I almost crashed
LOL Congrats I have been working on other maneuvers lately and my TR has suffered. I can still do it fine but it isn't as smooth as it used to be. So much to learn and not enough time to fly.
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:56 PM
Team 3DHS
wamsy55's Avatar
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,479 Posts
I saw on a thread where guys were setting up an idle up or slight throttle hold with their electric planes ....

Has anyone here tried this ?
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
There are a few that do it. Safetyhawk and heritageflyer. I haven't done it and I have never had an issues but its one of those personal preference things
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:08 PM
Landings are not optional
DeuceTrinal's Avatar
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
I do it on one of my small profile balsa planes because the prop spin up time from off is way too long. I already use a throttle cut religiously, so I just use the throttle trim to set the idle and the switch to turn the motor on and off.
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:50 PM
You're good!
Safety Hawk's Avatar
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
There are a few that do it. Safetyhawk and heritageflyer. I haven't done it and I have never had an issues but its one of those personal preference things
I don't set it up small planes like the 42 Slick.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:10 AM
Registered User
twistedgrim's Avatar
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrinal View Post
I do it on one of my small profile balsa planes because the prop spin up time from off is way too long. I already use a throttle cut religiously, so I just use the throttle trim to set the idle and the switch to turn the motor on and off.
I really dont see a need for it as long as your brake is turned off. Your prop should be freewheeling anyway. On smaller planes like foamies sometimes the magnets will be too strong and stop the prop. Like the new EPP Extra 330 thats about out. Other than that like the 72g or 103g motor on my 41 edge or 42 slick they never have problems freewheeling.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:18 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,211 Posts
I use the idle on a switch on my 42" and 51". I've noticed my landings are smoother. Not a clue why.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:54 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
I saw on a thread where guys were setting up an idle up or slight throttle hold with their electric planes ....

Has anyone here tried this ?
Not sure what Radio you have but here is how to do it on a DX7. Off the Gear Switch. It definitely smooths things out on landings and spins it up faster in Hovers if you are trying to catch it like in a tail slide or pogo.

The bottom -number has to be tuned to idle for different ESC's/Motors. Greater -number raises RPM's.

I set the Trim to zero before I adjust the number.


heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:08 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
well it doesnt look like Im gong to be able to fly for the next week . 30 for the highs and 20 to 30mph winds. Not happy about that at all. I got the 42 flying and just got my heli fixed back up and now I cant fly(never fails)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:15 AM
3DHobbyShop.com
horton's Avatar
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
I use the idle on a switch on my 42" and 51". I've noticed my landings are smoother. Not a clue why.
It is helpful to have an idle up, as the slow spinning prop (not free-wheeling) helps to slow on final. Might be why your landings are smoother.

I have an idle up on everything. Well, except for foamies.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video 3DHS 51" AJ Slick - Cow pasture 3D blucor basher Electric Plane Talk 33 Dec 04, 2010 08:52 PM
Video 3DHS 89" AJ Slick Electric blucor basher Electric Plane Talk 28 Dec 04, 2010 05:31 PM
Sold 3DHS AJ Slick NIB trade for trex 450v2 hairymuffin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 11, 2008 09:39 PM
Video 3dhs AJ Slick harrier machine FlopGun Electric Plane Talk 3 Oct 09, 2008 12:04 AM