HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2009, 11:40 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined May 2004
68 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyzone Super Cub...new radio system?

Hello all, I have gently used Hobbyzone Super Cub that is in good shape. I have flown it several times with no problems at all, including acceptable performance. Everything is stock...no upgrades.

Should I upgrade the radio system to 2.4 or can I use 27MHz for awhile longer? Is the electronics in the cub okay for casual use or is it a crash waiting to happen? How about a low cost 72MHz system...should I upgrade? I all keep everything else stock (motor, etc).

Thanks,
Mike
Mikefly562 is offline Find More Posts by Mikefly562
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:27 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,188 Posts
If it flies with no problems, then just fly it, enjoy it, and gain experience.

Start saving for some good RC gear that will see you though the coming years, (as you're probably getting addicted to RC now).

The better the gear, the less need to replace it. A computer based Tx will always win over a straight simple, (cheap), one. You may not need all the 'bells and whistles' now, but a few models down the line you may find they come in very useful. More channels than you need now could be a must in a couple of years.

A 2.4Ghz 6 ch minimum, preferably 7 ch, Tx should last for years. Remember just because the Tx is 7 channel, doesn't mean you have to buy 7 ch Rx's, less channel Rx's, (i.e. cheaper), still work as well.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:20 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I see no reason to replace the radio either if it's all working OK. I used mine stock quite a while and never had any problems with it.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:55 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,241 Posts
The so called 'glitches' newbies use to justify buying a Spectrum TX are generally due to some other problem they did not identify. I've had 2 RX's go bad (broken solder joint at the servo connector) that made the plane go nuts. Thought it was a glitch.

If it's not giving you hassles-fly it.
BUT- DO replace the Tamiya connectors. They ARE a problem with a crash waiting to happen.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:11 PM
Jupiter, FL
Joined Jan 2009
9 Posts
"BUT- DO replace the Tamiya connectors. They ARE a problem with a crash waiting to happen."

I agree. I couldn't figure out why my motor kept cutting out in turns. It was the Tamiya connectors (on my last flight the negative wire separated completely - thank goodness the SC is such a good glider and that I was 2 mistakes up). I am in the process of replacing all my Tamiyas with Deans (and I have a LOT of batteries).

Here's a good video on how to do it:

http://www.ezonemag.com/~awilletts/deansultra.mpg

I do have a DX7 but haven't installed the AR6100 Rx in any of my SCs. I am adding ailerons to one, so it'll get the AR6100.
Ripcurl869 is offline Find More Posts by Ripcurl869