Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Discussion
About electrical connectors

Hi guys,

Some noob questions about connectors.
1. What are deans T connectors for? How to set it up?
2. What is the difference between JST female and male and their varieties?
3. Why do some Lipo batteries have a thick wire + balance connector and others have a JST connector? What is the recommended way to connect that thick wire?
4. I use a thin wired switch harness to connect to that thick wired battery. Is that ok?
5. Is it better to charge a battery through the balance connector or the main wires?

Thanks.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 01:56 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,461 Posts
I can't answer all your questions, but just to get the ball rolling here's what I know

1. Deans Ultra connectors (the T type) are used when you have medium to large currents. Personally I use them for all my models (so I don't need adapters for my charger, wattmeter, etc.), and my amperages are in the range of 10 to 40. If you look very closely you'll see a + and a - moulded into the plastic body -- you simply solder your wires to the appropriate tags, using a "female" Deans on the battery and a "male" on the ESC.

2. Most plugs have a "male" and "female" version: The male version has the pins sticking out whilst the female version has corresponding sockets. You need one of each to make a connections. Because the female part uses sockets it has no exposed parts and, thus, is the one you fit to the battery so that it won't be able to short anything if it touches. You then have to fit males to anything that you want to plug into the battery, such as ESC, wattmeter, and charger.

3. All batteries need the thick + and - (red and black) wires to supply current. What plug goes on the end of should depend on how much current they're designed for. Personally I wouldn't trust a JST for anything more than a few amps, and I've standardised on Deans, so if I get a battery with a JST on it (some manufacturers install them as standard because they're cheap) I cut them off an solder Deans on. LiPos and A123s really should also have balance leads and a balance plug on them, but it's not mandatory but it significantly reduces the risk of premature failure if you balance while charging.

4. Without seeing it, I would say your "thin wire switch harness" is a no-no. Generally speaking, your connector to the ESC is the on/off switch. If you put any switch in your power circuit you run the risk of it failing during flight due to the high currents it has to carry, and that then leaves you without power or control. So, after you've switched on your transmitter you power up your model by plugging in its battery; when you've finished your flight you unplug the battery and then switch off your transmitter.

5. You can get chargers which charge through the balance wires, and charge each cell individually to make sure none of them go above the permissible limit. But you don't have to have one of these -- you can use a standard LiPo charger that charges through the main leads, and plug a stand-alone balancer into the balancing plug to take care of the balancing. Some stand-alone balancers plug onto the charging leads too, so that they can terminate the charge if they're unable to keep the cells balanced.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 02, 2009, 02:46 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Quote:
2. Most plugs have a "male" and "female" version: The male version has the pins sticking out whilst the female version has corresponding sockets. You need one of each to make a connections. Because the female part uses sockets it has no exposed parts
One minor correction and it is one that causes debates so....

The JST power connections which are used on some LiPolys and Ni batteries and the matching JST that is used on ESC in fact do not have thier sex labeled by the pins and sockets but rather by the plastic housings. The male housing has the sockets in it and the female housing has the pinsin it. Balancing connectors are the same. Male housing has sockets(female) ,female housing pin (male).

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...ctors&scat=JST

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 02, 2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:43 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Hi abenn,

Thanks for taking the time to give a very detailed explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
I can't answer all your questions, but just to get the ball rolling here's what I know

1. Deans Ultra connectors (the T type) are used when you have medium to large currents. Personally I use them for all my models (so I don't need adapters for my charger, wattmeter, etc.), and my amperages are in the range of 10 to 40. If you look very closely you'll see a + and a - moulded into the plastic body -- you simply solder your wires to the appropriate tags, using a "female" Deans on the battery and a "male" on the ESC.
Do you have any photo example of how to do this and with the heat shrink also? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
4. Without seeing it, I would say your "thin wire switch harness" is a no-no. Generally speaking, your connector to the ESC is the on/off switch. If you put any switch in your power circuit you run the risk of it failing during flight due to the high currents it has to carry, and that then leaves you without power or control. So, after you've switched on your transmitter you power up your model by plugging in its battery; when you've finished your flight you unplug the battery and then switch off your transmitter.
Ok, you are suggesting I just use a Deans and throw out the switch harness.
You are right, I always thought that thin wire switch was ridiculous being hooked up between my battery and the ESC (both thick wires). Silly me.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/connectors_1.shtml
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:17 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Thanks for the link.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 05:38 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman
Hi abenn,

Thanks for taking the time to give a very detailed explanation!

Do you have any photo example of how to do this and with the heat shrink also? Thanks.

Ok, you are suggesting I just use a Deans and throw out the switch harness.
You are right, I always thought that thin wire switch was ridiculous being hooked up between my battery and the ESC (both thick wires). Silly me.
How to solder deans: http://www.ezonemag.com/~awilletts/deansultra.mpg

If you want to use a switch it goes on the power wire (middle) of the cable between the ESC and the receiver.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 02, 2009, 05:43 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,461 Posts
Quote:
... Do you have any photo example of how to do this and with the heat shrink also? Thanks. ...
If you search on "solder" and "Deans" in this forum, you'll get lots of good links including this one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671169

Quote:
... Ok, you are suggesting I just use a Deans and throw out the switch harness....
Yes, just rely on the Deans (or whatever you decide on) plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
... One minor correction and it is one that causes debates so....
That's why I qualified my statement with "Most"
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:38 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
But most of mine are not as you described.

Only my Deans Ultras have male pins exposed(sticking out) .
My JSTs as psoted have male housing with female pins(?) in them which are not exposed and the JST female housings have male pins which are receased in the housing . All of my balancing leads which I have many of are same as JST power connectors.

Order some PQ/Hyperion. female pigtails to add balancing taps to a pack you are building or order a JST male to make a charging lead and see what you get?

No big deal just trying to point out that the actual connector does not always determine sex of the connector and that JST and most balancing leads are just the opposite .

Charles
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:09 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
How to solder deans: http://www.ezonemag.com/~awilletts/deansultra.mpg

If you want to use a switch it goes on the power wire (middle) of the cable between the ESC and the receiver.

Glen
Now that's an excellent video! Thanks I learnt a lot from you guys!