HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:55 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Discussion
What wood do you use and where do you buy it?

I bought some balsa from Michael's and it is not cheap at all. I also bought some Gorilla Glue over there and a day later find it cheap in Home Depot. So I'm wondering if there is a cheaper place to buy balsa.

Also, I'm wondering what kind of wood everyone uses for their RC needs?

-BK
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:20 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
BK, Wood! this thread is for planes made of FOAM..... No seriously.. I might use the odd barbeque skewer and a some ply for horns or motor mounts...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:40 AM
;-)
birmingham
Joined Apr 2008
87 Posts
balsa wood , plywood for wooden planes

foam for fomies

john
akz12 is offline Find More Posts by akz12
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:49 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
Basswood. My LHS (more a model train store, no RC stuff at all, but a balsa/basswood rack and some plywood and stuff) carries that and I've come to using if for spars on KFm wings and motor mounts.

It is about 2-3 times the weight of balsa and much stronger too. Great for motor mounts and other parts too.

At Lowes, Home Depot, etc., you can find some shapes (strips, squares, etc.) in clear pine, spruce and some hardwoods, intended for trim carpentry work, that are useful. A lot of times, if you are focused more on strong than on light, those are cheap and readily available building materials for use in conjunction with foam.

If you have access to a nice table saw and pick up some odds and ends of lighter, well dried and stabilized woods, the sky is the limit on usefulness of good wood (pun intended).

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:36 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
I have aircraft grade ply from the LHS and birch ply from hobby lobby(craft). Hobby lobby had quite a sellection of balsa, birch and basswood.
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:38 AM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
Palupe

Palupe - its a hard red wood used for expensive outdoor decks. When I get done planing it it looks just like plastic. Not bad for weight and it is stiff and hard. Outlasts the planes. Got mine from my son - he was working for a company that was building some expensive lake houses in Indiana.
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Feb 02, 2009, 01:53 PM
Roflsauce Noobcopter!
Joined Feb 2008
129 Posts
There's hobby plywood at my LHS that's not particularly cheap, but it's light and strong. It tends to come in pretty useful thicknesses; great for motor mounts and stuff.
LlamaFragments is offline Find More Posts by LlamaFragments
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:34 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Thanks for the information guys. I figure, I can use wood in conjunction with foam to make a stronger frame and stuff, you know.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy