HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Discussion
Scale RR V-12 for P-51 Mustang

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get on here and get some feedback from all of the giant scalers.

I own and operate a very sophisticated CNC machine shop. I have been toying with the notion over the past few years of building a scaled down version of the Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 used in the p-51 Mustangs. This model engine would be the most complex of its kind. Of course it would be a V-12, but would also be liquid cooled and supercharged. Personally there is nothing that ticks me off more than heaing a weed wacker motor in a giant scale P-51. It just isn't right, but hey...everyone works with what they have. The plans are in the design stages right now with prototyping to be underway soon. One design offers a 48 valve overhead cam to get as realistic as possible. The entire block will be machined from billit material and will use glow fuel.

My question is....Is this something of intrest to the general public?

Feel free to email me.

Koppelindustries@aol.com

Regards,
Matt
Matt Koppel is offline Find More Posts by Matt Koppel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:08 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Matt,
It was at least several yaers ago I read an article on a guy who built a large scale P-51 with a scale V-12 Merlin in it
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:09 AM
My Lipo is Bigger than Yours!
Chesterfield,Missouri
Joined Sep 2003
495 Posts
I think it's a great idea!All Mustang lovers would love to see something like this,as far as interest in the general RC population being in the market for one,I'm sure the cost would be very restrictive.Hope to see it!
gjmjoe017 is offline Find More Posts by gjmjoe017
Old Feb 02, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
I suppose it would not be for the faint of heart or wallet for that matter. I would rather build somthing that is affordable. But what is? Robart charges $4000 for their radial and the jet people are in the neighborhood of 2-3k. What P-51 model is out there that would handle a 8-12 pound engine that is roughly 8 inches long by 5 inches wide?

Matt
Matt Koppel is offline Find More Posts by Matt Koppel
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:24 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,481 Posts
Matt,

A few years back I spoke with a gentleman who had a 1/4 scale Merlin and wanted a Mustang airframe constructed for the engine. The problem we ran into was that the engine was too heavy and did not have the power to adequately fly a 1/4 scale Mustang. I have no idea if that was just his particular engine design or if that would be indicative of any such undertaking. Not sure if they are still available but there used to be a company which offered castings for a scaled down Merlin, though I do not recall what scale. Interesting idea which would result in a truly unique project. Good luck with it if you decide to move forward.

Regards,
Chad Veich
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:09 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
There was one at the Toledo Ohio Expo some time back. This guy also had a scale Harley engine, and a scale Ford 427 V8 he built an RC dragster for.
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
Joined Apr 2008
16 Posts
Hi Matt.

I think that if you're able to make an engine that will the have the power and weight to adequately fly a 1/4 scale Mustang several people will be interested in buying. Not just here but in Europe too.
I'm from Fl and I've seen people expending more than 20K on their Jets airplanes. A single turbine cost about $2500.00
People are buying twin cylinders in-line engines like the ZDZ's and 3W's for the CompArf P-51 kit and price is about $2000.00.

Take a look on this site for the 3W-110iR2
http://www.cactusaviation.com/produc...0/engine2.html
Weight: 7.69 lbs incl. ignition
Power: 10,5 HP; 7.83kW
$1,950.00

Also take a look on this site:
http://dynamotive.netfirms.com/merlin/index.htm

They made a merlin Kit, not sure of it's weight or power but you could get a better picture.

I'm actually building a 1/4 scale mustang and would buy a scale engine if available.

Thanks,

Roger
rdefrei2 is offline Find More Posts by rdefrei2
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:11 PM
Atlanta & Pretoria
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
P 51 Engine

I would surely want such an engine for my 1/4 scale P51! There's someone at http://dynamotive.netfirms.com/merlin/ who has made the castings. From what it looks like all they need would be a high tech machining operation and we could have a good engine...... If jets are going for $4000 there should be enough market for this too and margin....
DirkVisser is offline Find More Posts by DirkVisser
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:13 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
584 Posts
Yeah the DIY on that dynamotive would be over my head.
Supercharged, liquid cooled, gear reduction too?
Interested.
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
818 Posts
1/4 Scale Merlin

It will depend to a large degree on the cost. I think that $4000 target price will make quite a few of these sell. Question is: Can you make them for such selling price. I for once am looking at buying a Robart's radial in the near future - primarily because it is (almost) a scale model of the Jacobs R-755. Bear in mind that most people will probably buy them to fondle - not neccessarily to fly. The good thing is that this kind of engines end up being collectors item and rarely loose value over time unless actually flown.
N99JH is online now Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:39 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
584 Posts
They only lose value if you play lawn dart with them.
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven