HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Discussion
Spketrum dx6i and crash of new p-51

I have (or had) a new p-51 mkii I have been praticing on the sim for countless hours and while doing so discovered that my TX had a problem with the elevator going completely out of whack. (I have posted about this before) Well anyway I got an exchange at the LHS and got a new dx6i. Everything was fine for the first 10 hours or so and the same thing happened but with the throttle. exhanged it again got another new one! Everything seemed to be fine with this one on the sim for some time. So I take off for the field to meet an instructor to get checked out for the flying site. we checked all controls, range checked, etc.
instructor takes off and trims my plane and it is flying good. he hands me the tx and I fly the pattern for for a few minutes. handed the TX back and he wants to do a pass at about 20 ft he comes around, plane is level flying full throttle. the plane all of a sudden takes a nose dive with no input of the elvator control at full throttle unexpectedly right into the ground smashing into pieces.

Bottom line the 3rd dx6i is garbage and it was the direct cause of my plane crashing. Instructor checked the monitor on the tx and found that the elevator pointer on the monitor was on the high side when at mid stick and would only jump to low side when he pushed the elevator full up. He said "well your tx is not functioning correctly now."

I came home plugged into the sim and the p-51 in the sim could not even take off it just kept nose diving even at full up elevator. messed arounf with tx trims and sticks. finally get the plane into the air and trimmed, worked for 5 or so minutes and then in a turn the plane nose dives and crashes. back to square one!

at this point I am highly discouraged and ceratinly do not trust a dx6i to fly another plane. someone is going to get hurt while using this and it's sudden eratic behavior

I am out of a plane now and can't continue further until I get another or can rebuild this one costing about as much as buying the p-51 kit.( If I even decide to at this rate) I would have completely understood and accepted this if it was my fault and just chalked it up to learning, but this is ridiculous!

any suggestions?
pmedicj is offline Find More Posts by pmedicj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 01:30 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,541 Posts
It really is bad luck that you've had 3 faulty Spektrums in a row. I've never flown a sim, but I can't help wondering if that's something to do with the failures. How does the transmitter connect to your PC?
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 01, 2009, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
I know I can go to my LHS and switch out tx again, but I am also in need of a new p-51, what do you think the chances are of them letting me have a new fuselage,canopy and wing set and transfer over the elec. and motor or even better replacing the whole kit?

even if I can get a new RTF kit, would it be better to upgrade to a dx7? Is anyone else having these problems with spektrum?
Old Feb 01, 2009, 03:54 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Call horizon tomorrow. Tell them of the instructor and hobbyshop that can verify your claims. Be nice. I'm guessing they'll deny responsibility but replace the plane and radio. If not, the pen is mightier (or the keyboard).

I've had a dx7 for almost a year. I used it with the fs one sim some, but not too much. I've had no problems with it. This is the first I've heard of it. Have you been on the radio forum of this site and asked about it.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Just found this....... http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1885

Figures the day that this came out is the day my plane crashed! I guess this would explain 3 bad dx6i as the one I have now is date coded 810E

Upon further reading it says that if your tx passes the test then their is no need to send it in! Well this is where I say "hog wash" mine was obviously performing well for quite some time without issues until I took my plane up then it decided to fail....the other 2 times was on the sim!

So what about all the other people that have dx6i date coded models with "Potential issues" that pass the test and experience a dreaded crash?

They should recall these radios and have LHS change out radios in kits when you buy them with these date codes. or at the very least replace the pots in these radios free of charge. cant wait till someone's face gets mangled (god forbid) by a stray prop because the plane could not be controlled.

If you have a dx6i in this date coded range that passes the test, I have to ask this question.......

Do you feel comfortable taking your plane up on it now?
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
I will update after I call horizon hobby tomorrow and see what they can do for me. I am hoping they will help me out as I have had fantastic customer service with them in the past, thats why they have kept me as a customer and I mainly buy their stuff.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:47 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,937 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Please let us know what happens when you call Horizon.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Feb 02, 2009, 06:14 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,187 Posts
I just heard of the service bulletin..I thought of your post as soon I read the bulletin. and was searching for it.....anyway I'm glad you got the info Good Luck getting the problem fixed
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
I contacted product support and it did not really go to my liking! I sent in this e-mail to customer service as a follow up after contacting support. I will post the response when I get one.

"I found the bulletin for the dx6i after I experienced a crash related to a bad elevator pot. that ruined my brand new plane. this is the 3rd dx6i that I have had elevator problems with.

You said in your bulletin 'If you did not find any irregularities, your DX6i does not need to be sent in for inspection. As always, please
conduct preflight checks and range testing prior to each use of your product according to the DX6i programming guide. "

I was unaware of the bulletin at the time of the crash however before flights range and pre flight checks along with monitoring servos as you explained was performed. the radio performed flawlessly for many hours and then decided to fail in mid flight so I believe that even though your product passes the test it is irrelevant and should be repaired or upgraded.

I contacted the support dept. to get answers to my questions and about repair with dissatisfaction!
I was told that I can send it in to have it looked at and possibly repaired. Upon asking him how the repair would be conducted ie. using new, redesigned potentiometers or just new replacements. your support told me that it would be repaired using new potentiometers but not redesigned ones and they are the same kind that is already in the radio.
My issue with this is...I am going on my 3rd dx6i due to these bad pots only to have the "Potential stick pot issue" still remain or repeat itself! knowing this I believe I should receive a new radio that is not affected by these date codes or have the opportunity to upgrade to a dx7 (I would gladly pay the difference). I do not feel comfortable taking another $500 plane into the skies using this radio (would you?) not to mention the potential negligent liability if a stray prop severely injured someone due to a plane or heli that could not be controlled due to a manufacturer defect that was know to be an issue. there should be a recall on these radios with defective date codes. injury as a result could lead to a product liability suit in the future. we are not playing with harmless toys here!

I would like to kindly ask, is it possible to have you at the very least replace the broken parts of my plane, send me a new dx6i not affected by these date codes or let me upgrade to a dx7 so that I can continue to enjoy this hobby.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:55 AM
Huntsville, TX
Joined Jun 2008
20 Posts
I too lost an Alpha which took a nosedive while using my DX6i. Not sure if that is what actually caused it.
I got the bulletin on the DX6i issue and have tested it using their recommendations.
It appears to be working OK but I do not feel comfortable with it now.
Let me know how you come out on yours.
Greggo is offline Find More Posts by Greggo
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
I would not doubt it! I have played around with it some more this a.m. on the sim I got it to work fine, checked out the servo monitor and all was fine took plane up flew it for 5-6 minutes. let the plane fly straight with no input to elevator and all of a sudden before my eyes the plane took a direct nose dive and crashed, checked the servo monitor and the elevator was not functioning properly! gently tapped on the elevator side of the radio and it started working again. took it for another sim test and it did it again this time with radio siting completely still on table. Same thing happened on my first dx6i. So I believe the "TEST" on the bulletin does not mean doodly squat! Something has to be loose inside the pot itself it seems to only make a connection when it feels like it! they need to use brand new pots from a different mfg. because just replacing the ones in the radio with the same defective pot will not work. the rep said they just replace the bad ones using the same type of pot....Probably hoping to eventually get a good one!

I have lost all faith in the dx6i until this pot problem is resolved. no matter if it was tested for 1 hour or 50 without problems. I have a feeling it will fail resulting in another $$$$ crash. Product support when asked for replacement plane told me that they are not responsible for collateral damage! I said "Even though it was a direct result from a known problem?" and he said YES Even though the radio was faulty but you can send in the radio to have it looked at.

I think I am going to call the LHS and explain my situation and see if this time instead of exchanging it upgrading to the DX7 paying the difference and have them deal with the bad radio (again) and horizon. I did ask product support if they used the same pots in the DX7 and they said it was completely different pot. they would not let me upgrade.

I will see if I get a response back from CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo
I too lost an Alpha which took a nosedive while using my DX6i. Not sure if that is what actually caused it.
I got the bulletin on the DX6i issue and have tested it using their recommendations.
It appears to be working OK but I do not feel comfortable with it now.
Let me know how you come out on yours.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 11:41 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
It would be great if you could film it acting up on the sim - of course, I know it's random and catching it may be difficult.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Feb 05, 2009, 10:41 AM
OKC
Joined Dec 2008
20 Posts
My first flight went fine yesterday...halfway through the second...lost all control...straight into a tree..destroyed my mach1..sure its a cheap plane..but so what..I have to check my tx out now.....I dont want to fly my heli till I know for sure whats going on with it....Keep us posted as to your situation with product support..
Daddywarbucks is offline Find More Posts by Daddywarbucks
Old Feb 05, 2009, 12:59 PM
Bear, DE
Joined May 2006
14 Posts
I'm now questioning my upcoming purchase of a DX6i...

And here I thought I had it all figured out!
jmshipe is offline Find More Posts by jmshipe
Old Feb 05, 2009, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
do yourself a favor and buy a DX7, They use completely different components!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshipe
I'm now questioning my upcoming purchase of a DX6i...

And here I thought I had it all figured out!