HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:58 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Here a few pics, SWSA use very nice frames which support two front parellel lines for sighting. Base man sits inside the frame - rear support string is not used.

At the Midland league we simply use 2 x garden poles. Front one has a flag to help the pilot to see it.

Mike
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:06 AM
Sidanee, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
217 Posts
There are a few of us Ozzies that would like to come to NZ and join in with your F3F comps, perhaps you can send some info on what is coming up and some info on your best slopes? Thanks, Jacob.
memoryjb is offline Find More Posts by memoryjb
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:05 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Well now Mark.....

You're off and running!

Make it regular over there, the details will fall into line.

If you find a willing and knowledgeable individual there amoungst you, make them the "competition director" of the club, allow them to research any unknown rules and regs for your group; you can manage the scheduling and keep the turnouts coming.

Good luck!

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 02, 2009, 05:44 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonfibre
Jon Eddsion ??
Hi Mark

Sorry.

And sorry to any UK fliers I inadvertently upset with what follows. I have acted as CD, for at least part of the time, in almost as many events as I have flown. And I admit - thats not all that many.

Jon Eddison is the F3f man at the Hole of Hocum club, and basically created the system of choice for UK F3f. In my humble opinion.

Its a computor based system and does everything a CD needs on the day.

In advance, its loaded with the pilots names and a flying order is created, never been quite sure how, other than if you off the CD on the day, you get to fly first...

This flying order is published, on a white board and on various bits of paper..

It is the responsibility of every pilot to know where he fits in the order, and be ready at the appointed hour..

A "Buzzer Supremo" is nominated - his job is to look at the flying order and detail appropriate people (who are not going to be flying anytime soon..) to man the buzzers.

He keeps an eye on the flying order, who has flown this round, who isn't going to for some time, and who needs to be getting ready, and shouts at various people to go man the bases.

The CD benefits from an assistant who yells at the assembled throng the names of the next three fliers at the start of every flight, thereby ensuring everybody - who already know it is their responsibility to appear on the line ready to go, really does know it's their turn soon..

Then the computor has a countdown facility, so the CD says "Name" working time starts - computer displays time remaining, so if someone is out to play the system, the data is available to crush him.

After launch, 30 second countdown is intitiated and the various on and off- course noises result.

Then it records each leg time and predicts a fininshing time - this gives the CD something to look at and allows him to make informed smart comments if asked by the pilot after the flight...

eg - "you really co ed up leg five mate"

And finally, the computer works it all out and announces the winner. Jon Eddison does this in the car park.

Which, in my case, is usually embarrassing

Key points?

Publish a flying order

Make sure the CD is in control - take no argument from anybody.

He needs to know where the competitors leeway is.

Allow no deviation from the rules - the rules are there to protect the CD

Plan it so the next flier is always ready to launch as the previous one exits the course.

OK - helps if LZ is away from the course and everyone knows how to exit the course and go away and land.

But like I said - just get yourself a Jon Eddison and it all happens!

Tim

Who knows dam well that Jon Eddison would take no from Chuck Norris
The.Timinator is offline Find More Posts by The.Timinator
Old Feb 03, 2009, 01:29 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
242 Posts
Hey Tim - thanks a lot for that.....That really gives me a great idea how you guys run things.....got lots of great tips and ideas from it.....Brilliant - is this computer system available for purchase? sounds real good.

Thanks for taking the time with your post - I appreciate it....
carbonfibre is offline Find More Posts by carbonfibre
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:38 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,994 Posts
Quote:
Being very new to F3F too, I would be very interested in what your setup looks like. Can you guys please post some pics of your poles, buzzer setups and scoring systems?? Do you have a laptop on site to record results? I have downloaded a spreadsheet from somewhere to record results, but it doesn't seem to roll up on going season results - only rounds 1-10, which I presume are held over the same day or so. What about the next 'event'? Is there anything out there to roll these all up simply in the one spreadsheet?

Mark
Hi Mark,

I have a spreadsheet that might meet your requirements to do a "roll-up" for the entire season...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533780

This sheet will handle up to 90 pilots over 40 rounds - far more than is probably possible even for an event lasting a week, but it's easier better to have too much capacity than not enough! I created it at the request of Miguel Angel Torra Ratia - Miguel is part of the team that organises the F3F event in La Muela, Spain, and he is trying to automate his scoring system in real time, but needed a larger sheet. Feel free to use it, though I agree with previous comments that you're far better scoring events individually rather than rolling them up over weeks and months, where conditions and peoples ability to attend may overly affect the results.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:05 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tim - thanks a lot for that.....That really gives me a great idea how you guys run things.....got lots of great tips and ideas from it.....Brilliant - is this computer system available for purchase? sounds real good.

Thanks for taking the time with your post - I appreciate it....
Hi Mark

No problem.

I am in no way an expert (I'm no w er either, I don't think), but I have been around R/C comps of one sort or another for many years, and particularly at club level the problem always comes between balancing the need for fairness, with not embarrassing newbies and not allowing pot hunters to bend the rules...

At one of the UK 60" National races I flew I vividly remember the CD, as part of the briefing, saying words to the effect

"And if any of you want to complain to me about the prize you get I WILL come and jump on your model"

I think he was joking (right Paul?) but this is the most important advice I can give you - The CD is in charge and what he says goes. Full stop.

I could probably hook you up with Jon Eddison if you want further details on the computer side? Chuck Norris won't mind.

Pm me if you feel that woud benefit your sport.

Best of luck!

Tim

Contemplating 18" of Snow on the road outside, and wishing he didn't have to go to work in the morning
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:19 PM
west yorks. UK..Home of the Hudds mafia
Joined Apr 2006
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Timinator
Hi Mark

No problem.

I am in no way an expert (I'm no w er either, I don't think), but I have been around R/C comps of one sort or another for many years, and particularly at club level the problem always comes between balancing the need for fairness, with not embarrassing newbies and not allowing pot hunters to bend the rules...

At one of the UK 60" National races I flew I vividly remember the CD, as part of the briefing, saying words to the effect

"And if any of you want to complain to me about the prize you get I WILL come and jump on your model"

I think he was joking (right Paul?) but this is the most important advice I can give you - The CD is in charge and what he says goes. Full stop.

I could probably hook you up with Jon Eddison if you want further details on the computer side? Chuck Norris won't mind.

Pm me if you feel that woud benefit your sport.

Best of luck!

Tim

Contemplating 18" of Snow on the road outside, and wishing he didn't have to go to work in the morning
Only 18" of snow Tim...you were short changed
yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by yellowblue
Old Feb 03, 2009, 09:53 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
242 Posts
learning lots.....learning lots.......
carbonfibre is offline Find More Posts by carbonfibre
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:42 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
what about reflights??
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:57 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
996 Posts
guidelines

Hi,

You will also find an organiser's guide at the following addess:

http://rcsoaringpictures.free.fr/Ope...guidelines.htm

It is base on our experience in organizing competition, but it focuses more on major international competition. I'm sure there are some tips that can be reused.

Regards,

Pierre Rondel
www.planet-soaring.com
prondel is online now Find More Posts by prondel
Old Feb 04, 2009, 01:13 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
what about reflights??

See Scoop. :-)

Dan
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:19 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
Quote:
what about reflights??
Space bar and something else I think - I just call on Jon or Richard Bago if it its needed....

Are you really sure you know what you've let yourself in for?
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:28 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
I'm not CDing the events, I'll tell you that much!
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:48 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
Quote:
I'm not CDing the events, I'll tell you that much!
Ah ha!

So you do.....