Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:24 PM
Semper Fidelis...........
United States, CA, Calimesa
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
Build Log
FW 190 A model

Hey Gents,
Just before the Fest of 07', I did a build thread of a Tucano in about three weeks. It was quite the effort for me. This year, am working on a 1/6 scale FW 190 A model I picked up from a gent on RCUniverse. So far I have aquired the canopy, the cockpit kit, and am hopefully cutting out the wing blocks this weekend, to be cut and bagged by a good friend of mine with a larger CNC machine then I have. So, biting the bullet, and going public to help push me along. As Bill "microrotors" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992515
said in his Dauntless thread, 90 days to go. Yeee Hawwww.

Should come in with just around 64" WS with the wingtips, and looking for a target weight of 120 oz. AUW. I'll be using the proven E-374 airfoil. It won't be a high penetration plane, but it should carry the weight nice and look good in the air. Hats off to Bill and his Dauntless build, Hoping the FW will be ready to roll at the upcoming Festival. My mentor, Carl Maas, likes the winter schemes, so I decided to go with the probable scheme of the JG54 series to properly honor his help all these years and for putting up with me at the wild ISR meetings!!! Yeah Baby............. Later,

Doogie

P.S. It should be easy to find if Bill shoots me down if it is white..........
Twinboom is offline Find More Posts by Twinboom
Last edited by Twinboom; Apr 04, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:40 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,240 Posts
Doogie,

Looks like an interesting project. And I really like the colour scheme you've chosen.

I'll be watching with great interest.
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:11 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,363 Posts
Boy, if you guys get some of these big planes finished, I may just have to come to the Fest this year...
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:36 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,456 Posts
nice doogie!
i like the fest direction sign in the background!

no hurry yet.

marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Feb 01, 2009, 12:28 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Shoot you down, ..... your 190 should slide right on by me. I really think we will keep each other motivated. Well at least you have a big jump ahead of me, ... you already have the fuselage.

I really cant say for sure .... but I don't think a Dauntless and a 190 ever seen each other in the air ... until MAY 2009!

RAT, tat, tat, tat, tat, tat ...........

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Feb 01, 2009, 02:06 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
I'm subscribed Doug. Looks like a great project. Looks like Joe and I might go way outside the box and build a couple of Jacks 72" P51's. Joes never built a foamie so it should be fun. Make sure you PM me after you have your meeting, I believe on the 9th?

Good luck!

Dan.
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:05 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
Hey Dan,
The meeting is mostly for the permits and meeting the new forester in charge of such. She is very personable on the phone, so am hoping the process goes smooth.

The FW was one I could not pass up. I sold a plne, saw this in the back of the guys truck, and took it home. There you go. Hope I can get it all together before the Fest. I have two other projects I am working on so I'll have to kick it up a few notches.

I'll be cutting the tail groups out today.....that's what's on the agenda right now anyway...you know how that changes.

Doogie
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:15 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,895 Posts
That's a beautiful fuse Doug! Throw and engine on that baby and come fly with Ian and I. I've got a fuse that is very similar. Just got a 3W-75 for it last week. Ian is using the same engine in his Zero.

That is going to be one heck of a sloper! Looking forward to watching your build.

Russ.
slopeiron is online now Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:35 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
Hey Russ,
I have a OS 91 four stroke BNIB sitting on the shelf for another project someday. I wonder if that is big enough.....hee hee.

Doug

I should be posting some pics of the tail group this evening.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 01:14 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
Well, I was able to get the horizontal tail group cut out today. I have cut off the front 1/2" for a Balsa LE, the rest will be sheeted and then Balsa blocks on the wing tips as well.

I'll start on the Vertical stab tomorrow, and then on to the main wing. I want to get the lane together so I can test fly it, and find the proper CG before I start detailing it out. Carl has already placed the CG, but I'd still like to dial it in before the detail work.

Doug
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:23 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Dang, them there look like mini wings!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2009, 04:03 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Doug,

Hows the wing coming along?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2009, 04:27 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
As soon as I post this, I am going out with my measuring tape in hand, and cutting out my blanks so Dan can cut them on his machine. Mine is a tad to narrow, and not deep enough for the root cuts. Thanks for the kick in the butt. I can see we are going up against each other. Good for the progress..........

Doogie
Old Feb 08, 2009, 05:12 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Going to need a bigger display area at the fest this year...

Nauga,
who had to make his wings removable
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Feb 08, 2009, 05:57 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinboom
As soon as I post this, I am going out with my measuring tape in hand, and cutting out my blanks so Dan can cut them on his machine. Mine is a tad to narrow, and not deep enough for the root cuts. Thanks for the kick in the butt. I can see we are going up against each other. Good for the progress..........

Doogie
I wouldn't say that.

You are far, far ahead of me. I need to build the fuse to make a FG mold of it, then build a FG fuse. I just want to see some big wings!

If my math is correct, we have 103 days left and we both got a lot left to do.
RCG Plus Member