HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:59 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Discussion
The Cats Meow!

Hi guys, a couple of days ago I went to my local rifle range and scored huge! The bow & arrow range was being dismantled and everything was 60% off. I scored on Beeman Hunter 500 carbon arrow shafts for 2 bucks each so I picked up a bunch, drew a small wing outline on my work bench and came up with this little wing. It looks a lot like the Diamonddust of old but much smaller and with the arrowshafts it is sturdy and light! I hope to maiden within the next few days. I also saw the cg calculator on this group, wheewww that's going to save me some head aches. Keep building 'em! Joser.
Thermaleer is offline Find More Posts by Thermaleer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
That's a great looking build. Super clean!!! I'm impressed. Did you happen to take any pics before it was covered? Also, what is the wing span.

Good luck on your maiden.

Greg
Wingnut62 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut62
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:40 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Hi Greg, thanks for the kind words. I did not take pictures of the build but I will be putting a few togetehr for the gang. I'll take lots of pics and do a build thread. It has three arrow shafts and about ten pieces of wood and goes together in a couple of hours. Keep 'em flying! Joser
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts
Cats Meow

Oh my gosh, there really is another draw a outline and build nut in the world. I frequently draw it in my head then lay it out on the balsa sheets starting with the fuse. For what its worth, have found I can cut 1/2" sheetrock sheets to my workbench size and save the bench finish. You can then draw on them, use them as a pin board, cuttenboard, and use both sides. Have 4 layers on the bench now which will last me many years. Try it, you will be happy you did. ENJOY
Roger Menke is offline Find More Posts by Roger Menke
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Roger, I tried your idea of sheetrock and it worked beautifully! Thanks, I will be posting a build thread soon.

BTW I maidened the wing and all I can say is WOW!!! how much fun can be had for so little. A 15 dollar motor, 20 bucks for an 18 amp speed control, 10 bucks each servo and away we went and oh...so fast! I will post the plans and everything else here for those that want to give it a try. Later, Joser
Last edited by Thermaleer; Feb 13, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
Your wings look absolutely fantastic. So smooth and clean . I hope you do a video as I would love to see it fly. Lately I have become more interested in front drive wings....yours is an awesome example.

Greg
flywhizzz.com
Wingnut62 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut62
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:25 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Thanks Greg, I will have one of the guys at the field do some video work for me and I'll post it. Tractor wings, for some reason, are a bit easier to build & launch for me. I do have a stable of wings that I have built over the past couple of weeks and tested, most are very good machines and I will post the cats, that is one good flying wing! Keep up your endeavors with the whizzz. Also , have you been to Martin Hepperle's web page? He has a bunch of very good data for flying wing airfoils. I made 65 different wings for a particular wind tunnel study at a very prestigious university back in the eighties and we made a flying model that reached over 200 mph on the slope. Keep developing and testing your ideas, they'll pay off if you stick with them, Joser.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:54 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
That's a smooth looking little wing!

I like it!

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:29 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Thanks Jeff, awesome website!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:41 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
LOL.. Thanks..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:46 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Building this wing should start like any other scratch, cut all the parts out first to make a kit. The hatch is a piece of phenolic. All parts are 1/8 balsa because I have more than 100 sheets of it!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:50 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Here I am putting the fuselage together. A small triangle and some quick Ca make this an easy job. The motor mount is made from 1/8 ply.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:56 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Next is to align the trailing edge. Here we are using a couple of jigs to level the TE to the fuse and make sure it's square. Then do the same thing for the spar.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:03 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
After all is square and true, glue the wingtips and anti-torsion webs between the spars.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:07 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
830 Posts
Now install the L.E. and don't omit the gussets!