HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Low cost XBee/GPS plane locator plans

I thought this might be of interest to those involved with UAV or FPV activities. Due to many email requests I've put together plans for a low cost XBee/GPS interconnect circuit that lets you know where your plane is even when it goes out of sight. Sometimes this is because it goes behind trees or altitude is too high for visual contact.

Parts only cost a couple bucks and take a few minutes to assemble. Four components are required: regulator, two caps, and a resistor. A wiring diagram is available in the DIY area:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post11472407

The idea is to connect output from a low cost Globalsat GPS receiver to input of an XBee 2.4ghz radio module. GPS and RF modules can be had for as low as $20 each. A ground tracking station consists of any laptop with serial or USB ports and another XBee module. I found the best software to track position of the plane is Delorme Street Atlas but many prefer Google Earth.

The GPS receiver is used as-is but XBee must be configured so it has same baud rate. Attached is a picture of the assembled unit and Delorme screen capture of a test flight of my Solar UAV. Let me know if you see any errors or have questions.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Last edited by rich smith; Jan 30, 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
338 Posts
our techFX Motion OSD already does that

and comes with an OSD too!

and software etc.

stop on by and check us out.

www.thesiliconhorizon.com
drex is offline Find More Posts by drex
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
...Due to many email requests I've put together plans for a low cost XBee/GPS interconnect circuit that lets you know where your plane is even when it goes out of sight. ...
Parts only cost a couple bucks and take a few minutes to assemble.
Drex, I truly hope you aren't comparing your $120 dollar solution to these requirements to Rich's, are you?
And wouldn't you still need to buy a Xbee and a GPS module to achieve this goal?
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Last edited by rob10000; Jan 31, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:18 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Does it cost $2? I'm sure it's a fine product but maybe we're talking apples and oranges here. Kinda like Attopilot vs. Ardupilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drex
our techFX Motion OSD already does that

and comes with an OSD too!

and software etc.

stop on by and check us out.

www.thesiliconhorizon.com
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:55 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,834 Posts
Thankyou very much Rich, super useful

G
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
338 Posts
yes i suppose so

just another option for an all in one solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
Does it cost $2? I'm sure it's a fine product but maybe we're talking apples and oranges here. Kinda like Attopilot vs. Ardupilot.
drex is offline Find More Posts by drex