HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:28 PM
Sarasota
Joined Aug 2002
98 Posts
New Florida Aerials

The weather was beautiful today in sarasota, got a chance to fly this morning before work. Here is a takeoff shot form our club. You can see the the float plane pond, and runway.

Kevin
capnkt is offline Find More Posts by capnkt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:40 PM
Sarasota
Joined Aug 2002
98 Posts
another shot

A shot looking west.

Kind of a boring shot, but lots of greenery compared to the shots from up north.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:46 PM
Sarasota
Joined Aug 2002
98 Posts
a few members

A few club members watching a fly by.

These shots are pretty lame compared to most I've seen, but it is great practice learning to line up shots. I'm definately going to go brushless. My current set up is tough to get much altitude before the BEC brings me down.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:20 PM
Medina, Ohio
Joined Oct 2002
131 Posts
capnkt
These pictures are not lame. You have captured the escence of the hobby. A group of guys kicking back having a good time flying airplanes.
Mikes Machines is offline Find More Posts by Mikes Machines
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:30 PM
Sarasota
Joined Aug 2002
98 Posts
thanks

Your remark hits home.

You are right on the money. We have a great field (private club-electric only), and a fantastic bunch of guys that share a common interest. Below is our club's website. It is way out of date, but still pretty cool.

http://www.payrollprocessing.com/ssf/tower_ie.htm

I guess what I should say is I have alot of respect and admiration for the the ever growing group of people that consistently take such amazing shots. They've certainly raised the bar for the rest of us.

Kevin
Old Mar 13, 2003, 04:59 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hi Kevin,

First off I am envious of your club' site. Two types of 'runways' and a nice big field to fly in!

I wholeheartedly agree with Mikes Machines, A.P. should not be considered to be just about elevation, pixel count...to me it's been (and always will be) the simple pleasure in actually being able to send up a camera and getting pictures.

Now it would be a neat shot (or video) of one of your float planes with the camera strapped to it showing us a water takeoff!

Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:19 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
1,284 Posts
I am "GREEN" with envy. We are still stuck in ice and snow. That is the first time I have seen parallel asphalt and water runways - very neat.

I have an ACE PuddleMaster electric flying boat that might be persuaded to lift the Mustek Mini 3.

Your float flying members might want to have a look at:

Port Perry Float Flyers

David
Ironsides is offline Find More Posts by Ironsides
Old Mar 13, 2003, 09:12 AM
Sarasota
Joined Aug 2002
98 Posts
Thanks for the link

David,

Thanks for the link to your website. I have already been all over it. I really enjoyed it. Your site, along with all of the posts relating to the Aiptek Mini Pencam and Wild Moose's conversion/mod on the AP forum prompted me to get into this madness in the first place.

Roger,

I am planning to put floats on my slowstick and take some video of takeoff/landings.

Our club has so many talented pilots and builders. One member has scaled up a puddlemaster (110" wing span) and powers it with 8 speed 400 motors. Really cool!

I am fairly new to the hobby (9 months or so) but thanks to the Ezone, and numerous patient people I am HOOKED!

Kevin
Old Mar 15, 2003, 11:14 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
1,284 Posts
Forgive my northern naivete, but does the pond attract alligators?

We have a terrible time up north in winter flying avoiding snow snakes and ice worms on the runway

David
Ironsides is offline Find More Posts by Ironsides
Old Mar 15, 2003, 02:54 PM
It just keeps getting better!
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,533 Posts
Those are really nice shots, even from a technical standpoint.
The focus is sharp, there is no blurring from either vibration or
motion. It is very tough to get low altitude photos that look this
good!
What camera setup are you using?
Perhaps your altitude problem can be cured with a change to
diffrent batteries. What are you using now?
I'm sure you'll WOW us with more great pictures!

-Dave
Blue Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue Sky
Old Mar 15, 2003, 05:33 PM
Sarasota
Joined Aug 2002
98 Posts
gators & camera setup

Ironsides,

Just about any pond (including the"cement Ponds") will get it's share of gators from time to time. The area where our field is located is rapidly becoming an industrial park. Where the human population goes up, the gator population tends to drop. It is not uncommon in most freshwater areas (rivers, lakes, ponds, drainage ditches) to see half a dozen gators at any given time. You kinda get used to it.

Blue Sky,

Thanks for the compliments.

I am flying a slowstick w/ aiptek mega 1.3 modified by Wild Moose (Roger). For the money it sure is hard to beat. Especially since he even deals with the focus issues.

I have been flying a couple of old 7 cell 500 AR nicad packs from a speed 400 glider. I just got a 8 cell 1050 NIMH pack. It should provide me with quite a bit more time in the air. I'll just have to watch the heavy hand on the throttle with the 8 cells and the stock 300 motor. Upgrading the powerplant to a eps 400 c-f gearbox from Aeromicro should also help. My guess is I'll eventually graduate to a brushless.

Kevin Tippen
Old Mar 15, 2003, 05:40 PM
It just keeps getting better!
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,533 Posts
Sounds good! The new pack should help alot.
Now, you just need to get some daring aerial "gator" shots!

-Dave
Blue Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue Sky