HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Ed, it sure looks great! Looking forward to some close-up pics when it's finished.

(had to have my puter rebuilt, so just getting back on-line--sorry I missed your thread earlier)

Ooby
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:27 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Thanks bboarder711,
I really enjoy sailing the EC-12.

ooby,
Sorry to hear about your computer. I understand you guys had a rough winter up north.

I started planking the mahogany. I tacked a piece of 1/4 inch basswood to the chine to give me a straight edge for the planks, also because I rounded off the sharp edge of the chine when I was fairing the balsa planks. On some of the planks I glue one end then lay a strip of damp towel over the plank and go over it with an (OLD) iron, it steams the top and lets it bend easy but leaves the bottom dry so it can be glued.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:16 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Finished planking the bow and started on the sides. I am happy with the basswood planking on the bottom it came out very flat and smooth. It should be able to get up on a plane. The mahogany so far is bending OK and not breaking.

Ed
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
oh!!

I thought you were just going cover the balsa with a mahogany stain and seal it with polyurethane . I had no idea you were going to do this. WOW!! This is really some serious craftsmanship.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:01 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
black strips

Hi Ed,
Your doing a great job on the hull.
Here is what I have just found & started using.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-DYED-ANIGR...QQcmdZViewItem

The thickness may be too thick for your use & can be reduced with a thickness sander (1/36" tick and they sell it in qua of 10 strips also or by the sheet)
So far I have found that it glues well and I have not had any dye stains when wiping with solvents.
Reg Hinnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
Thanks Jon,

But I am going to stick with the black strips.

Ed
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Hi Reg,

Thanks for the link, I saved the seller in my favorites. I am sure I will have some use for his wood products in the future. I found some black fiber material used for guitar construction called purfiling; it is .020 thick or about 1/2 mm and .100 high or around 2 1/2 mm and 34 inches long for .75 cents a strip if you buy at least 5 or more. Here is the link http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...spx?q=purfling you can also get it .010 thick. The purfling is very pliable, I could bend it into a 1 inch radius.

Your hatch cover look great. Did you buy the teak strips or rip them yourself? What kind of boat are you working on and do you have a build log?

Ed
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Hi Ed,
The purfiling looks interesting & usable.
I do my own wood because of getting disgusted with trying to find what I needed/wanted. It's the only way you have control of color & grain. (if your that picky)
The best purchase I have made in that area has been a Byrnes thickness sander.
http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/s...m=0707MM834532
Being a slow builder, I have not started a build thread. I am working on a Malabar II schooner using Alden study plans & photographs with a Hartman fiberglas hull. It is 1/10 scale. 49" long.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:37 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Finally finished planking both sides and the back with mahogany; still needs a lot of sanding. I am pleased I ripped my own mahogany from a single board; the color on all the boards is consistent. I have ordered mahogany from a supplier for another project and ended up with some light and dark strips.

Ed
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:28 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
I made a template for the sheer trake. Then I measured and drew a center line on the deck; placed the king plank on the deck and drew a line on each edge. Then I carefully measured from the edge of the king plank to the inside edge of the sheer strakes to make sure it is the same distance on both sides from the bow to the stern; then I drew a line along the inside edge of the sheer strakes.

I glued up two boards of mahogany to get a 7 inch wide board which I will cut the sheer strakes out of once I sand it down to the correct thickness.

Ed
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
that is looking beautiful, Ed-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:29 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Thanks Aerominded,

If I can quit gluing my fingers to the boat maybe I can more done.

Ed
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the shear strake! For some of the decking on the old Muskoka launches I found thick yellow construction paper which when cut into strips looked pretty good for simulating the yellow glue they used. Plank, paper, plank, paper and then thickness sand to desired dimension.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
BigDutch,
I did a search on the Muskoka launches and found the boat with the yellow caulking in between the mahogany planks. I never realized that color was used. Are you building one of those?

Ed
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
BigDutch,
I did a search on the Muskoka launches and found the boat with the yellow caulking in between the mahogany planks. I never realized that color was used. Are you building one of those?

Ed
Did the decking for one several years ago. Just remembered yesterday that one of our local guys used black toner powder from copy machines mixed with glue to simulate caulking lines between planks. Thanks to the color revolution we now have Yellow toner!

Dutch
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Interesting, years ago, on a full size fiberglas sail boat I applied a teak deck overlay using the West system epoxy mixed with black graphite powder to simulate black caulk between the teak planks.