HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:00 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Today I cut the one inch strips into 7mm and 8mm strips and ended up with 70 strips total. I cut a slot in a board to hold the mahogany strips so I could slice them with a razor knife. Then I ran the strips through the table saw to get a nice square edge.

I need to buy some black plastic strips to go between the mahogany. Does anyone know where I can buy some?
Or I may buy a sheet of black plastic and cut it into strips. If I do buy a sheet what is the best way to cut small strips?

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2009, 05:31 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Cutting plastic is tough Ed because a power saw actually melts the plastic with it's friction while cutting. Cutting strips as thin as you will need is going to be almost impossible. You may save yourself a lot of money and agrivation by buying the strips already cut. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Mar 05, 2009, 05:37 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Pete,

Any idea where I can buy some black plastic strips?

Ed
Old Mar 05, 2009, 05:41 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,705 Posts
Ed here is a picture of our familys old Garwood from 1947. My grandfather bought it new in Fall River,Mass. and we owned it well into the sixties when we moved South and Dad sold it. 16 feet long and had 115 HP Gray Marine engine and it would pull three adult skiers at one time at about 35 MPH if I remember right. Sure was fun to ride in. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Mar 05, 2009, 05:44 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
Pete,

Any idea where I can buy some black plastic strips?

Ed
When i did my Sea Hornet, i used the cover from a black plastic wallet found at Michaels..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2028368

I had to cut the strips with a hobby knife as that was the only way to cut through it and get a nice clean edge. Even using a knife and steel rule, i wasted about 1/3rd of what i cut as they were not the right size.

Be warned too, sanding it all down is a of a job..
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:46 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Pete,

Glad you posted the pictures, do you know where the pictures were taken? I was born in Fall River, Mass and lived there until I was 13; then we moved to Calif.

Toesup,

I will check out the craft stores. There is a plastics business close by maybe they can cut some for me.

Ed
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:14 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,598 Posts
Can't help with the black plastic... but the trick in finishing is to do the following:

1. cut the strips a little wider than the planks' thickness;
2. When setting them, take extra care to get the plastic strips solidly down on deck, and CA'd to deck and side of planks. May take a bottle of CA accelerator to get the glue to set on open grain wood like mahogany.
3. Then, DON'T sand the strips and planks down, but scrape them instead. Goes faster, and doesn't melt little bits of plastic into the wood. Cabinet scrapers are nice, but I've used (abused?) a plane's blade and razor blades for this task.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:16 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,598 Posts
Maybe consider black construction paper (small scale) or poster board for the strips...
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:28 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Thanks Pat,

I forgot I have a cabinet scraper some where in the garage.
Do you think the poster board would work OK? Or if I use plastic and scrape it down flush would it be OK to sand it then?

Ed
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:29 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Hey Ed,
I phoned Dumas the other day and they sell the styrene caulking strips (only white, though) for $1.00 each for 24". I passed as it just seemed too high and figured I could find something cheaper than that. If you have no luck finding black, it's an option.

Jon
Jon S is offline Find More Posts by Jon S
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:37 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Thanks Jon,

But I am going to stick with the black strips.

Ed
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:56 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,598 Posts
Poster board: You'll have to experiment and see if you like it... but if you're putting a clearcoat over it (preferably 'glass), no problem with water. Black construction paper is an old trick for the sticks-and-strings crowd.

Scraper: You may find that a scraper is all you need! But yes, sanding planks once the plastic strips are flush will likely be ok. It only takes a few swipes of the paper before you start smelling hot plastic though...
Old Mar 05, 2009, 08:24 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
I found something interesting; it's called Purfling and is used in guitar construction; it is .020 wide by.100 high and 34 inches long and is a black fiber material. Here is the web site http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...spx?q=purfling it also comes in .010 thickness . It sells for .75 each if you order more than 5.

Ed
Old Mar 18, 2009, 04:29 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Since the last post I was able to apply a thin coat of epoxy to seal the balsa planking. Then I planked the bottom of the hull with 1/2 inch wide basswood strips, this part will be painted red so no need for mahogany. The bottom of the hull by the bow will be planked with mahogany, because it will show the mahogany below the chine.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 04:56 PM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
looks great i like the EC 12 too
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711