SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:33 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Got A Taxi In Today Need To Add Nore Weight To The Nose She Never Tipped Up But Didn't Want To Turn On Up Hill Turns, One More Day Of Rain Left Til I Can Maiden Her
FlyBoyTha1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyTha1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Nitro Planes 100mm EDF Fan Trainer Build Part 4 (9 min 47 sec)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:44 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Why is no one using the inlet ring on the fan?

If space is a problem, I'm sure the ring could be cut to fit.

Very cool looking plane.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:57 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Well Hopfully I Can Get The Maiden In Today Guys, It's Been Raining Alot So I Hope The Turf Don't Have Too Much Water Soaked Up Into It.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Good luck with the maiden. Still real cold here and I dont do cold weather flying. My plane should be here Friday now I just have to come up with some cash for the motor/fan combo.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:41 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Nitro Planes 100mm EDF Fan Trainer CG Balance & Taxi Test Build Part 5 (5 min 36 sec)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:53 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
It sure looked WAY nose heavy on the CG stand, I can't imagine what it will be like with another 4 oz of weight in the nose. It might taxi well, but I wouldn't think it would fly great with the CG that far forward.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't add more wieght either. That thing is way nose heavy as Socomon stated. I know everyone likes to set up differently. I CG mine with slight nose yaw on the CG machine. I have also found on the CG machine it is more acurate without those huge honking foam pads. I have had planes show perfect CG with the pads and it be tail heavy. Then loose the pads and it shows it true to be tail heavy. Just if you use it without pads the little nubs put dents in the wings that I have to iron out with my iron...lol

If that was my set up. I wouldn't even maiden it with it sitting on the CG machine like that. My unijet if it yawed back to much would sit on the tail, but rolling down the runway it was fine. And it flew fine once it was airborn.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
How easy would it be to move the main gear back a bit?

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm a lead farmer Mother ^%$^%
Lakeland, Fl.
Joined Apr 2007
444 Posts
Flyboytha1, don't make it any heavier. Nose pitched down during CG at 50mm is perfect for flying. If nose is light during travel down runway, use down elevator till time to lift off. Keep it light and you'll be happier. It is a nice flyer though.
Sniper.308 is offline Find More Posts by Sniper.308
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
How easy would it be to move the main gear back a bit?

Heather
I dont have my kit yet but I am thinking of bending the mains back some. Should be easy enough to do in a vise. Looks like watching the taxi tests only need about an inch or two.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper.308
Flyboytha1, don't make it any heavier. Nose pitched down during CG at 50mm is perfect for flying. If nose is light during travel down runway, use down elevator till time to lift off. Keep it light and you'll be happier. It is a nice flyer though.
I'm About To Upload The Taxi From The Field Video It Was Bouncing All Over The Place, Do You Fly Off Of A Asphalt Field?
Last edited by FlyBoyTha1; Feb 18, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion
Wow, I wouldn't add more wieght either. That thing is way nose heavy as Socomon stated. I know everyone likes to set up differently. I CG mine with slight nose yaw on the CG machine. I have also found on the CG machine it is more acurate without those huge honking foam pads. I have had planes show perfect CG with the pads and it be tail heavy. Then loose the pads and it shows it true to be tail heavy. Just if you use it without pads the little nubs put dents in the wings that I have to iron out with my iron...lol

If that was my set up. I wouldn't even maiden it with it sitting on the CG machine like that. My unijet if it yawed back to much would sit on the tail, but rolling down the runway it was fine. And it flew fine once it was airborn.
The Catch To Me Is That If Your Going Up Hill You Lose The Steering Control At Mt Flying Club That Could Cost You The Plane, Theres A Big Fence Waiting To Catch You.The Plane Weight 7lbs. Now, But Also I'm Still At Almost A 1:1 Ratio, Fan And Motor Pushing 6lbs Of Thrust 1340 Watts. This One Will Have To Be Flown Off Asphalt For Sure My Club Has A Turf Field
Last edited by FlyBoyTha1; Feb 18, 2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:21 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinKENTUCKY
The text says 90mm from leading edge but the diagram just below that, shows a picture of the plane with the CoG marked at 50mm back.
There is no way I see that this plane will fly at 90 mm back.

James
Whats Up James Anything On Your Maiden Yet?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:22 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I'm thinking main gear with more flex to it would fix the problem. There is no reason a plane this size with fixed gear shouldn't be able to operate off grass. Or maybe the main gear needs to be taller to keep the nose down - or for that matter the nose gear shorter? Hmmm . . . . yeah, I like the sound of shortening the nose gear a bit.

Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Last edited by Socomon; Feb 18, 2009 at 02:35 PM.