HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Good report. Thank you Jim. I wasn't expecting a speedster given the lack of ducting, thick wing, and dangling gear.

The only two ways to speed it up are to clean up some drag or increase the eflux speed. I guess the only way to increase eflux is to go higher rpms, which isn't easily do-able if using the Himax combo. Anybody measure RPMs yet on that set-up?

The design and size of this plane are somewhat similar to the Sportjet 90 from EJF. but that plane will do about 100 on a 90mm fan because it has ducting and a thrust tube.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Great to hear Jim. I didnt think this was a speedster either. Fact is I am glad it isn't. I have alot of fast planes and wanted a nice slower EDF to fly around. Where I fly the runway as I have said in so many threads is way way short so this should fit in great. Still havn't started my build yet. I had the money for the Himaxx combo and I spent it on the room I am building. What was I thinking..... Oh well, next payday....lol
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'm a lead farmer Mother ^%$^%
Lakeland, Fl.
Joined Apr 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion
Great to hear Jim. I didnt think this was a speedster either. Fact is I am glad it isn't. I have alot of fast planes and wanted a nice slower EDF to fly around. Where I fly the runway as I have said in so many threads is way way short so this should fit in great. Still havn't started my build yet. I had the money for the Himaxx combo and I spent it on the room I am building. What was I thinking..... Oh well, next payday....lol
Yeah I second it. It's a nice slow to medium flyer which is good to get me warmed up for flying my 180mph(est) F-16. I am about to go to the field now. I will be trying to put a small duct on the plane today to tinker with. Hopefully I have enough mylar.
Sniper.308 is offline Find More Posts by Sniper.308
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:06 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
[QUOTE=JIMinKENTUCKY]Flight Report:

Took off from pavement no problems.
For balance, I made a mark of 45mm back and 50mm back on the bottom of each wing and balanced the plane by putting my fingers between the 2 marks. (very scientific)

I only need a couple of clicks of down trim at this balance point. Perfect.
Add a little weight if you need to balance at this point. I only added 1/2 ounce in the nose which is practically nothing.

As Flyboy mentioned the planes handling on the ground canbe bouncy as the nose wants to leave the ground. I lowered the length of the nosegear to remedy this. No bouncing from pavement takeoff ( I held down elevator till takeoff) and I landed on grass on all three gear and it stayed there. No falling back on its tail. I did not try to takeoff off of grass but should not be a problem holding down elevator.

The plane climbed out and after trimming I made a few circuits to get used to it and then tried to see how slow it would go..
The plane can fly slower than I had anticipated and is very manageable. No bad characteristics.
I took it downwind and turned back into about a 10mph headwind for landing. I cut throttle and added a little power when needed, Without headwind you would probably need constant low throttle. Landed with 3 point landing. No trouble.

I would estimate the plane to be in the low 70's whic was a good speed but I am only using a 15-25C rated 6s pack. This is not a 100mph plane with this setup but I'm sure it could do 80+ with a decent pack of 30 to 35C.

Sorry no video as I was flying alone, Will try to get some another time.

James[/QUOT

Sweet James Congrats!

I Don't Know If Yours Sounds Like Mine's But Mines A SCREAMER , On My Next Flight I'll Push Her To Full Throttle, But As You Know Now It Flys Great. So There You Have It Sports Fans, 3 Of Us Have Flown Successfully Who's Next On The Maiden List?
FlyBoyTha1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyTha1
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:12 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socomon
Good report. Thank you Jim. I wasn't expecting a speedster given the lack of ducting, thick wing, and dangling gear.

The only two ways to speed it up are to clean up some drag or increase the eflux speed. I guess the only way to increase eflux is to go higher rpms, which isn't easily do-able if using the Himax combo. Anybody measure RPMs yet on that set-up?

The design and size of this plane are somewhat similar to the Sportjet 90 from EJF. but that plane will do about 100 on a 90mm fan because it has ducting and a thrust tube.
Here's The Himaxx Specs

2. SPECIFICATION
Rotor : 96 mm, 3.75
Length with/ wo inlet ring: 188 / 172 mm, 7.4 / 6.8
Unit O.D.: 97mm, 3.8
Inlet ring O.D.: 100.5mm, 3.96
Weight: 448 g, 15.8 oz w/o inlet ring, 483 g, 17 oz with inlet ring
No. of rotor blades / stator blades: 4 / 3
Max. rotational speed: 45,000 rpm
Motor: Himax HA3636-1850KV
Battery: 6S LiPo, do not use more than 24 Volts!
Current: 62 Amp
Input power: approx. 1330 Watts
Thrust: approx. 2.6 Kg, 5.7 lbs (92 oz)

Here's What I Got On My Watts Up Meter On 6 Cells, So I Guess That The RPM'S That's The RPM'S It's Pushing
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:13 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
It screams becuase the fan has only 4 blades. If you put a 7 blade Haoye in, it will make a very different sound.

I started on mine last night. I installed the lighting system into the wings.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:14 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyTha1
Here's The Himaxx Specs

2. SPECIFICATION
Rotor : 96 mm, 3.75
Length with/ wo inlet ring: 188 / 172 mm, 7.4 / 6.8
Unit O.D.: 97mm, 3.8
Inlet ring O.D.: 100.5mm, 3.96
Weight: 448 g, 15.8 oz w/o inlet ring, 483 g, 17 oz with inlet ring
No. of rotor blades / stator blades: 4 / 3
Max. rotational speed: 45,000 rpm
Motor: Himax HA3636-1850KV
Battery: 6S LiPo, do not use more than 24 Volts!
Current: 62 Amp
Input power: approx. 1330 Watts
Thrust: approx. 2.6 Kg, 5.7 lbs (92 oz)

Here's What i Got On My Watss Up Meter
Thanks FlyBoy, I was looking for RPMs on the Himax set-up @ 6s.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:21 AM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Thanks FlyBoy, I was looking for RPMs on the Himax set-up @ 6s.
I Used 2 Himaxx's On My Eagle 100 And It's A Hand Full, At 16lbs. I'm Very Happy With The Price Of The Himaxx Unit As A Plug-N-Pay Not To Get Off The Theard But Here's The Maiden Flight, I Used The Fan Trainer As A Tester Of The Motor

Nitro Planes 100mm EDF Eagle 100 Twin Jet Maiden Flight (5 min 33 sec)
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Mar 2002
1,123 Posts
Quote:

Yes , it is not really fast but it is fast enough for most to be satisfied with the performance. The Himax combo puts out more than enough thrust for this jet and there's plenty of reserve to get you out of trouble if need be. There's just not much top end speed and that's fine by me for this particular jet. It's fun to fly and has a unique look.

James
JIMinKENTUCKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMinKENTUCKY
Last edited by JIMinKENTUCKY; Feb 22, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyTha1
Here's What I Got On My Watts Up Meter On 6 Cells, So I Guess That The RPM'S That's The RPM'S It's Pushing
The RPMs in the specs are just the max the fan will handle. At least - that is how I am reading it. I expect that set-up is turning maybe 30-31k or so.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm a lead farmer Mother ^%$^%
Lakeland, Fl.
Joined Apr 2007
444 Posts
Ran my combo with 6, 7 and 8S lipo today and on my eagletree E logger. 7 Cell took off 3/4 throttle and 8 cell at half. It does go faster with the extra cells but I'm noticing even with ducting that you can't get blood from a turnip. This terrible handling on the ground really pisses me off. I'm going to drop the nose gear down as low as I can. When I get to a point where I'm going to put retracts in it I'm going to move the mains further back.
Himaxx Fan
ARC 3675 1T 1680kV motor
6S1P 4800mAh 25C Zippy-R
1500watts
67.4amps

7S1P 3500mAh 30C Zippy-H
1730watts
82amps

8S1P 3500mAh 30C Zippy-H
2174 watts
102 amps
Sniper.308 is offline Find More Posts by Sniper.308
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2007
218 Posts
Can the hi max fan be purchased separately or only as a motor/fan unit
CARL SCHIMNOWSKI is offline Find More Posts by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
. . .
Last edited by Socomon; Jun 28, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:19 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,563 Posts
Right now Himaxx is backordered till sometime in March for the 96mm fan/motor combo.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:23 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
The more I looked at the fuselage I received with my kit, the less happy I was. I realized that the formers, while glued in well, are in all wrong. The pieces are not locked together, the tray is in at an angle, etc. The bottom of the fuselage is deformed. This must have been a Friday afternoon deal. I am contacting Nitro for an exchange of the fuselage. I hope they come through on the support.