United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,272 Posts
Help!
Help, Help Help,...Oranator needs Help

Well it's official.

I have "Airplane Depression!"
I need help am now I am asking for it.
Have I given you a servo arm, Rx or battery at the hill so you could keep flying or perhaps sold you a plane at a really good price, gave you words of encouragement when you needed it or in some other way helped you..
Here's hoping some of that good karma will pay off.

In a moment of weakness I sold a Shrike ( Yes Oran sold a Shrike!) last night and that's when it hit me. I have "Airplane Depression"

I have been in slumps before but never like this, it's starting to affect my life in ways I couldn't have imagined... I need my "airplane time" just as any other addict needs his fix.

I have 100's of planes and projects here to build and work on but what I need is someone to help... not to do the work for me but to hang out and share the experience. Much like a alcoholic or drug addict has a sponsor I need someone to come on by and build planes with and shoot the bull. They don't even need to my planes.
I have been debating writing this thread for weeks if not months, I knew I had to do something.
Perhaps a project that many here would enjoy and would participating in... a "Rotor Build Project/Party" I have never been touched Rotor fuse and all the glass and resin to pull the mold.
As I said earlier I have lots of cool planes to build just not the will. Rotor glass, Rotor wood, the whole CR line of planes , Stingeron #1, Samurai, Pixel, Shrikes, foameron, V-max, 20 different kinds of sailplanes from LMR to F5b as well as 40 or more electric kits I have and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I need help.
Give me a call and come on by.
I have Gyrocopter I picked up at a swap meet that I am going to put together fri. night to fly Sunday morning.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Good karma and good JuJu headed your way man.

I have a mate that comes over every Wednesday night to build. We drink, we build, we shoot the bull. The shop is just a warmer place with someone else there.

I would do it (since we are both TWF afflicted) but the commute would be a killer. Maybe every other week we could alternate?

Given all you have contributed here, I bet you have a shopfull by the weekend. I have been where you are big time. You nailed the cure.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
Oran,

You can always join my P-40 project, and car pool up with the guys. We often have 5 to ten people working and there is quite a bit of breeze shooting as well. I would come down if I could.

Dave
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:24 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,316 Posts
I know how you feel. I work with composites all day and so to start building planes after work doesn't always feel quite like a hobby.

What you need is a really good flying day to remind you why you do it.

S

(wishing he had time for that flying day)
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:14 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
I shared your feeling Oran. I would love to come by with my own kits if I live within 6 hours of drive!

Looking at the 30 plus kits in my basement...just where do I start?

I usually start my way up by cleaning the workshop. Better yet, find a quick build thread on RCGroups that has a good ending (no all of them has one and let their progress energize your spirit.

May your spriit and your planes soar like an eagle.

Ronald in a warm hut in Canada.
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:21 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Hey Oran
I would be there in a heartbeat, that's if a heartbeat took 18 hours. That is about the time it would take to drive there from Montana. I completely understand your situation.

I am sure you have good company soon, I have seen it in the stars ..

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:51 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
Oran I know someone (he knows you) who has Shrikes (Yes multiples) and one of them was built by Harris. But he's not letting them go.

Shooting cats with my BB gun makes me feel good - try it.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Hey Oran

Not sure I agree with this guy..
The.Timinator is offline Find More Posts by The.Timinator
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:28 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,009 Posts
Oran must not need MY help, cuz if he did, he would have by now called or dropped by.

Matin
Who shoots his depression with an elephant gun....and drives by Oran's house everyday!
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:29 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Had this problem...sold everything 2 years ago. I was just riding to events and watching the action, seeing whats new. Then my Dad sent me an Electrifly Edge 540 and I flew for the first time since I sold everything. I'm still not 100% over it, seems I just don't enjoy it or I am flying the wrong stuff. I think it may have been "3-D" that finished me, where do you go after that. I also attribute the lost interest to my job as an A/P and avionics mechanic. I am having fun messing with composites though!
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,305 Posts
I like the idea of a rotor-ish group build!

Ward
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
west yorks. UK..Home of the Hudds mafia
Joined Apr 2006
1,565 Posts
Way to go ORAN , get the guys you fly with to drop over, but also try to fly more..that makes the interest increase,..."I must finish-whatever- so I can fly it"
I often have guys drop over, I got a fridge full of beer in the shop, no one ever wants any...drink/driving...so coffee it is for them.
yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by yellowblue
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
I was going through some major burn out as well, until I joined Chief High Horse’s P-40 build. Now I am back in it. I would love to join you and it would not be that far of a drive for me, but all of my hobby time is going to building P-40’s with CHH or flying.
You should come up to CHH’s house for the P-40 build like he suggested. It is not to late.
Then after we are done with the P-40’s we can all go to your house and build. Then we can find some other guy that is about to go off the deep end and build at his house. There is no shortage of builder/pilots in So. Cal. that is for sure.

Good luck. I am sure you will get something started.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Oran, just a thought; if you can't get anyone round have you thought of doing something that would requre support/input from RCG'ers?

It looks like you can build just about anything; what about trying something you fell less confident about (there must be something that would be a real challenge) and posting progress photos and videos and getting some support and input. Online community builds generate a lot of interest and interaction.

Likewise I somethimes wish there was some like-minded slope fantics nearby but no such luck.

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer