HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
57 Posts
Discussion
looking for some wisdom

Hey all:

I am some what new to the hobby, only flying for about a year... Started with a Blade CX2. Now I have an AXE CP and a TREX 450 SE (between a v1 and a 2, most of the uprgades)

I am now in a situation where I need some detailed setup help mainly as it pertains to the collective and cyclic setups and the implementation of proper pitch and throttle curves on my radio.

Issues with my TREX setup:
OK, first of all. my radio is a DX6. I know that may in fact be the main issue as it lacks points of the curve, but lets go through this exercise anyway please

My main issue is that I am never able to get the throttle set into a hover. I need to keep giving throttle and reducing to keep it in a hover. Is it an incorrect assumption that there should be a point where the bird should settle into a hover and not require constant throttle corrections? I understand the other stick will need to constantly adjust but same with the throttle?

is there a good step by step head setup, that starts from a level swash and goes through proper pitch setup of the blades and then throttle and pitch curve setup on a radio?

Issues with my AXE CP setup. I rebuilt a used kit without the benefit of a manual. Things look nice and level. with regular mode (Idle up off) The bird stays on the ground even when my throttle stick is all the way up. When I turn Idle up on, the bird takes off with the stick all the way down.

Thanks in advance,

I appreciate all of your patience and guidance,

Jack
zipdaman12 is offline Find More Posts by zipdaman12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Cant help you much with the DX6. I think it has throttle curve points, but I am not sure.

Trex 450 - Yes, you will need to move throttle from time to time to maintain stable hover. Especially outside with wind which can cause transitional lift.

Setup for 450- go here: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373

As for the AXE CP, without the motor attached, check to see what your blades do when you move the throttle. If they stay the same then you have a setup error in your radio.
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
DX6 does have pitch curves.

From the manual: "The DX6 offers three independent pitch curves with three adjustable points per curve. This function allocates a
separate pitch curve setting during Normal, Stunt, and Throttle Hold modes to maximize flight performance. Once the pitch curves are established, each can be activated in flight, using the two-position flight mode switch and the throttle hold switch. Each of the three points on the pitch curve are independently adjustable from
0100%. These three points correspond to the low, middle, and high positions of the throttle stick (collective).The factory preset values for all three pitch curves are: Low 0%, Middle 50%, and High 100%. See page 78 formore information regarding the Pitch Curve function."
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
That whirly guy
Vivian, LA
Joined Jan 2007
830 Posts
If you are constantly pushing the throttle up one click then down click to stay in a level hover, just hit the trim a time or two like you would for elevator or aileron.

It's not a BAD thing that something needs a little trim like some would have you believe.
Bothersome is offline Find More Posts by Bothersome
Old Jan 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothersome
If you are constantly pushing the throttle up one click then down click to stay in a level hover, just hit the trim a time or two like you would for elevator or aileron.

It's not a BAD thing that something needs a little trim like some would have you believe.
Why would you use trim for collective? He needs to learn collective management is all....sure he could do a click of up trim....but then he'd need to click down....then up......etc.

Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn