SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Discussion
Variable pitch propellers

Hello ppl, I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm planning to build a variable pitch prop.... Anyone here trying to do the same thing or anyone having any links or ideas regarding this.. plz reply here..... I need a variable pitch prop to fly a twin engined plane weighing about 9-10kg.... first I'm going to make a small model of the prop and test it and then go for the final one...
v.sabarish is offline Find More Posts by v.sabarish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:38 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Is it to be adjustable only on the ground or while airborne?

If airborne as well make it constant speed.

A very interesting challenge to be patented.
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:47 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,137 Posts
Just in case you didn't know, it's out there already. Changing pitch while in flight. Do a search for "4d propeller"
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:34 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
Just in case you didn't know, it's out there already. Changing pitch while in flight. Do a search for "4d propeller"
Sorry, I was considering a variable pitch propeller for a model airplane with an engine. Something like a model of a full size airplane.
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:45 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.sabarish
I need a variable pitch prop to fly a twin engined plane weighing about 9-10kg.... first I'm going to make a small model of the prop and test it and then go for the final one...
Will your model be electric or fuel engine powered? As Guz posted, there is a variable pitch prop on the market, but it's meant for electric motors.

Information also needed is *when* you want the prop to change pitch (the *how* will have to be worked out after the *when* question is answered).

"Variable pitch" can mean to be able to change the pitch of the prop blades and secure them in place, and it can also mean that you can change the pitch of the prop blades while the motor (or engine) is operating.

It sounds like a fun project, but I just gotta ask: *why*?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
I'm sorry people, may be I wasn't too good with my question. Actually, we're going to make a variable pitch prop that can change pitch when it's airborne and it's for an IC engine.
I've done some googling, but I didn't find any satisfactory results.. I found a few.. but when I read abt the details, i found that those props are for very small aircrafts.. weighing not more than 400g or so...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:31 AM
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Our plane would be weighing some 8-10 kg.... and we want to use IC engines, just bcoz they are more difficult to operate

@ EJWash

I've just want to make a twin engined plane.. and we wanna use VPPs.... that's it.....
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
If any1's made any variable pitch props.. or if any1 has any links regarding making one, plz do send them to me...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:20 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
I don't think I have ever come across a variable pitch propeller for a model size IC engine that could be changed in flight. Electric yes, IC no, other than pitch change on the ground when stationary.

The major advantage with electric is you can run a hollow drive shaft for the pitch change mechanism to run through.

I suppose a model helicopter head could be modified to do something similar, but then most model fliers would ask why bother, The throttle works probably as good, (though some efficiency may be lost).

Now if it was a military contract..................money is no problem, someone will make anything you want, (at a price ).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:42 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
Have a look/read of this site - Scale Warbird Prop Drive, though this is a constant speed variable pitch prop.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:53 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
You think of it, somebody has done it. I was thinking and asking about VP props for high speed models here on RCG before. I made an adjustable prop and is still working on a VP prop for my purposes. And no, the existing props will not work for me, and I looked at eggbeater parts, it does not work for a plank.

Here is an example of a VP prop for a DA twin engine.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:56 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
Some people do amazing piece of engineering, the picture(s) show it best.

From the The Joe Martin Foundation Museum site scroll down to item #145, JT 1800 9-Cylinder Radial Model Airplane Engine, .......'It sports his custom designed hydraulic controlled variable pitch propeller'.

Now if you have a good machine shop..............
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:58 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
O, I forgot to mention, the one I work on will be a folder prop as well. The picture I posted is not mine, I found it on the net.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:53 AM
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
And I'm just a beginner. I never built any plane myself before... I'm just about to start...
right now, we wanna build a VP Prop....... that's the reason I've been asking about that....
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Some people do amazing piece of engineering, the picture(s) show it best.

From the [URL=http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/KnappCol.htm]
WOW!!!

Thank you for posting this link eflightray. Each is a work of art, to be sure.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1