HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by AirX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:57 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Discussion
My CNC ....

I had been wanting to build one for a number of years, even had a few designs ready to go. I just did not have room for one in the little appartment my wife and I had lived in for a few years after we married. We ended up getting a new home built after many years of saving as much as we could and still enjoy some aspects of life. Well the new house has a lot of room for the hobby and of course the things we both enjoy.

Well here is my CNC I had designed, Orlando(MarineA4) built the first iteration of it and I bought it form him. I helped him build it and I learned a lot of woodworking from him and how to align the parts. I started the design with 1/4-20 lead screws(Allthread) and after working it for several months ended up wearing the parts out and decided to change to belt drive after Orlando started building a 3 axis router table to make molds with. The belt drive works flawless and allows for better speed without sacrificing acuracy.

Here are a few pictures of it and as I build parts for planes I will post what I feel is relavent to its use.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:05 AM
Jack Daniels he's my friend!!!
Canada
Joined Dec 2008
178 Posts
Very Cool! I've been looking to build my own 3 axis CNC router for prototyping, may ask what controller you are using and what type of stepper motors?
Oldrunk is offline Find More Posts by Oldrunk
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrunk
Very Cool! I've been looking to build my own 3 axis CNC router for prototyping, may ask what controller you are using and what type of stepper motors?
I used Hobby CNC electronics and motors. They are just about the most affordable system available. Then there the Phlatprinter(search the forum or web) which seems to be a good system. Mine is a 4 axis system for foam cutting and it works pretty reliably now.

Eric B.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Aug 2002
837 Posts
Awesome job Eric, glad to see you now have a second hobby of CNC!

I've finally got round to extending the footprint of my cnc router so I can mill entire fuselage plugs in one piece. I have all the parts just need to find the time to bolt them together.

Cheers, Joe
devmonkey is offline Find More Posts by devmonkey
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devmonkey
Awesome job Eric, glad to see you now have a second hobby of CNC!

I've finally got round to extending the footprint of my cnc router so I can mill entire fuselage plugs in one piece. I have all the parts just need to find the time to bolt them together.

Cheers, Joe
Hi Joe,

The foam cutter is working quite well now, next on the agenda is to complete a flat bed 3-axis machine.

Eric B.
Closed Thread