Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:40 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
Discussion
XCBD 157" CrossCountry Design by Drela

I am very interested in this design by Mark Drela which was introduced in the XC on the cheap thread. It seemed obvious that it needed its own thread so here it is. Take note that its intended to be REF (rudder, elevator,flap).I don't suppose anyone is that quick of a builder to have built one yet No specs on AUW which is an interesting topic. It has 1330" sq. area or 9.236' sq. which means at max FAI mass of 5 kg (176.37oz or 11 lbs) loading would be 19 oz/ft. Not sure of the lowest practicle flying weight but at 10 oz/ft it would weigh 92oz or 5lbs-12oz (2.608kg).
Spekd'out is offline Find More Posts by Spekd'out
Last edited by Spekd'out; Jan 29, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:13 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,460 Posts
I was going to comment but I see this is the composite XC Bubble Dancer and am not familiar with it. Good Luck. Sounds like a Cross Country Monster!
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Last edited by ozmo01; Jan 29, 2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add XC
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:48 AM
Stealth Plane Works
USA, MA, Stow
Joined Sep 2004
571 Posts
I was about to start a build thread

I was literally minutes away from starting a build thread. I will be building a wing and set of tail feathers for John Elliott using stressed carbon skins and Hi Load 60 foam.

Since you started a thread I plan to just use this one.

Just to recap for those who didn't see the posts on the other thread, the XCBD is a REF Cross Country plane designed by Mark Drela.

Even though it looks like a scaled-up Bubble Dancer, it is a very different ship. The airfoils are similar in performance (lift and drag) to the AG4x airfoils used in the Supra, and this ship will be able to carry weight and move. The high aspect ratio wing will also put it in a very different performance class from the BD.

Both the REF design and the airfoils will make it easy to fly and very forgiving, again characteristics you will want in an XC plane. It will have a light wing loading, but be able to carry ballast for windy days.

If the prototype XCBD works as well as it promises, I will be selling wings and tail feathers for them. A fuse may be in the works at a later date.

Anker
Anker is offline Find More Posts by Anker
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:51 AM
Stealth Plane Works
USA, MA, Stow
Joined Sep 2004
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01
I was going to comment but I see this is the composite Bubble Dancer and am not familiar with it. Good Luck.
You are mistaken, it is NOT a Bubble Dancer. The Bubble Dancer has different design parameters, uses different airfoils, has a different planform, and was designed for a different purpose. What they have in common is that they are REx ships designed by Mark Drela, that's it!

I am being pretty forceful because I can see that the looks and the name are going to invite assumptions like yours'.

Actually, I may start a new thread. The title "XC Bubble Dancer" is misleading. If the original author of the thread can rename it, please rename it to XCBD.

Anker
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:33 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
Anker,

The plans say XC Bubble Dancer, what else would you call it?

Not trying to start anything, but if you use the Bubble Dancer initials you will get people calling it a Bubble Dancer.

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:33 PM
Stealth Plane Works
USA, MA, Stow
Joined Sep 2004
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
Anker,

The plans say XC Bubble Dancer, what else would you call it?

Not trying to start anything, but if you use the Bubble Dancer initials you will get people calling it a Bubble Dancer.

Jay
We should have edited the plans. Mark and I agreed that it should be called the XCBD, just the initials.

Anker
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
Thanks Anker, I'm sure we will be fine from here on in. I was going to ask what kind of foam you used. Care to leak out how much is the foam core set goes for? I have been cutting templates on the CNC at work lately so I may cut them myself , but good to consider all the options. I was not able to use the AG23 file posted, how thick is the section?

I may be thrifty on this build and use Dow blue or pink foam. Not sure if better foam is readily available in my area. I wish I had more 3-D programming experience, it would be neat to machine a fuselage plug for it on the CNC. I do have a more competent machinist friend that I may have to pay a visit. I may be able to get some "scrap" kevlar from a kayak manufacturer close by, for the fuse lay-up. I may also try salvaging spar caps from composite hockey sticks for the wings.

Jan B
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:04 PM
Stealth Plane Works
USA, MA, Stow
Joined Sep 2004
571 Posts
Jan,

Thanks for changing the title.

I use Hi Load 60 exclusively. For stressed skin construction the compression strength of the foam is paramount.

The problem with the AG23 posted is that it uses exponential notation, I believe. I changed it to use regular decimal notation.

I'll put it in the Files section in a moment. Woops, this isn't Yahoo groups, so I attached it as a .txt file.

I'll charge $100 for a set of cores, plus shipping. I can cut the cores for the "tube spar", cut a spar slot for a capped spar, or leave it with no cutouts, your choice. These cores are close to perfect, thanks to my CNC setup and a lot of tweaking and programming.

If someone wants cores I'll be happy to take orders now.

Anker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekd'out
Thanks Anker, I'm sure we will be fine from here on in. I was going to ask what kind of foam you used. Care to leak out how much is the foam core set goes for? I have been cutting templates on the CNC at work lately so I may cut them myself , but good to consider all the options. I was not able to use the AG23 file posted, how thick is the section?

I may be thrifty on this build and use Dow blue or pink foam. Not sure if better foam is readily available in my area. I wish I had more 3-D programming experience, it would be neat to machine a fuselage plug for it on the CNC. I do have a more competent machinist friend that I may have to pay a visit. I may be able to get some "scrap" kevlar from a kayak manufacturer close by, for the fuse lay-up. I may also try salvaging spar caps from composite hockey sticks for the wings.

Jan B
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
I just wanna fly
USA, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2005
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker
If the prototype XCBD works as well as it promises, I will be selling wings and tail feathers for them. A fuse may be in the works at a later date.

Anker
If/when you decide to sell bagged wings and tail feathers I would certainly be interested in set. I don't have the ability or desire to do bagging and this would be a perfect addition to my AVA and Supra!

Thanks,
Brian
slozuke is offline Find More Posts by slozuke
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:31 PM
Axle209
Sacramento
Joined Jan 2006
298 Posts
This design looks promising for a building project down the road.
Axle209 is offline Find More Posts by Axle209
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,307 Posts
Very interesting design for cross country. I see only one problem. Or rather don't see one problem. The stealth fuselage will do nothing for keeping the model in sight at 4000 feet.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:05 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker
Jan,

I'll charge $100 for a set of cores, plus shipping. I can cut the cores for the "tube spar", cut a spar slot for a capped spar, or leave it with no cutouts, your choice. These cores are close to perfect, thanks to my CNC setup and a lot of tweaking and programming.

Anker
Does that include the tail feathers as well, and I guess they're Hi-Load 60 as well.?

I was finally able to get the root foil loaded into Compufoil. There was still one expo notatation in your file.
I get 8.9% thickness with 2.19% camber
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA
Very interesting design for cross country. I see only one problem. Or rather don't see one problem. The stealth fuselage will do nothing for keeping the model in sight at 4000 feet.
That doesn't matter, the wing will have disappeared at 2800 feet.
There was discussion of the chord size on the other thread. I will be using mine for sport flying so in my case I am not too concerned.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:05 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA
Chuck, the only thing you can see at any real height is the wing. Even the stabs are gone... if you're daring enough.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:04 AM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
394 Posts
How about as an electric with Bubble Dancer type wing structure?

John
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian