HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:24 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
Got really antsy and mounted an HS-85mg on the tail. Plopped her on the turntable that I built with the aluminum bars on the skids for weight down just to make sure servo and gyro directions were set properly. Not sure if it's because of the smaller servo or not but I had to set the gain down to 40 to eliminate the wag with a small amount of positive pitch. Tail response is VERY touchy but it stops like a rock when released. I'm happy about that. I think I'm gonna like that GP750 gyro. Not sure I want to risk a test hover tomorrow with the small servo. I almost tried it in the living room tonight but I quickly came to my senses. Maybe I should wait for the new servo to get here rather than tempt fate.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:07 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
well, my latest project is done and ready to start test flying. I had a plastic EXI500 that I had stole parts out of and what not, typically replacing them down the road when they had sales and such. I decided I was not going to build this heli but I had everything but the servos so I purchased some cheap servos from ehirobo and used a bunch of old electronics such as a KDS flightmentorwhich I bought but never used.

Here is the latest addition to the fleet
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:14 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
I almost did a DeeTeeeDeee today
I am using the skyartech or the copterx 1-1000 gyros and mounted it on its back
I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working right . Plugged in another skyartech gyro and same thing .Tried a GY48v and HK401, they worked perfectly . As i go and unplug the Skyartech and put it on its side it worked . Thats when the LED ( Light bulb) lit up , I remember now its suppose to be on its side . I should of had a V8
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:37 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
Well , it seems i had another problem . I remember a while back some of these kits had gear meshing problems with the tail gear . I bought these kits back in 2010 i think . I built 2 and had no problems with the mesh and this third kit didn't even come close . I just opened up the tail frame screws a bit with a larger drill bit and elongated the frame hole where it locks in , like some others have done . Man i thought i was in the clear since i bought the kits at the same time , and the other 2 were fine . I guess its one of those kits that i win the prize
I have to say though , this kit especially the head was almost perfect , except for the no grease in the thrust bearings .
The only thing i changed was the tail to align metal belt tail , because the exi metal tail is the same price , and the head levers to exi metal arms , since this was the plastic kit .
Besides that setback (which i don't think it was so bad ) Its coming out nicely .
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:56 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Have you seen the new black gears are out, but for the regular 500 only the tail end. For the pro the inside gears are the same as the 550. Makes me wonder if they will make the newer gears for the inside of the regular 500
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:37 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
Are those the unbreakeable ones. I am waiting for the 450 ones , I hate to see how muck their going to cost for the Chaos 700
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:40 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Yes and the 450 ones are out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:01 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Yes and the 450 ones are out.
Where? Got a link?

Joe
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:37 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Thought I was going to need a set today lol! had my gyro set backwards. Didn't even think to check it. Changed the tail servo and it was reversed from the other one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:44 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,634 Posts
Excellent. I'd like to think my 450 crashing days are over, But who am i kidding. Will pick some of these up soon as back up's..Thanks for the links Mhills.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:57 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Yea, I thought that too but it's the little screw ups that hurt us now. The last time I went threw some gears it was because I was so impressed with the fbl controller that I hovered a half a foot of the ground in high winds. One stiff breeze came up and popped the tail into the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:57 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
What is every one getting for pitch? I probably get 11 but i limited it to 10 because it looked too low on the main shaft collar .
Now for the fun .
If you only had 3 servos the same and after you installed them and got it all set to fly . Then a servo needs a tap to work but works fine afterwards , would you change it or all of them (because they are out of stock ) to make them all the same brand ?
Or and this is the good part say f it and wait for the first crash .

Last edited by jombo; May 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
My HK 9257 came in and I mounted it up. Set the gyro for digital and secured the bird to the turntable I built. Good thing I did! This servo is reverse rotation from the HS-85 that I had on it. Could have been disastrous. (Before you jump on me for doing something stupid I stand about 12 feet away behind a high back couch when I test hover in the living room. Better protected than at a field.) I did a liftoff and had some wag with 65% gain. I set it way down to 40% and it was rock solid. I'll fine tune it outside. If this servo holds up it looks like it works OK on the tail so far.

Rain is expected tomorrow so hopefully it'll clear Sunday and I can finally take this thing out for some outdoor test and adjust sessions. Already seems super stable in the 1 foot high indoor hovers. Once out of ground effect it should be even better.

Joe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:42 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Another tail servo option

http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...dproduct=18067

Here is another option for tail servo. My flying buddy is using it and it is doing a good job.

Crash
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02