HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,131 Posts
Well I got some air under the skids this morning! I re-balanced the blades both span wise and made sure the CG was the same, I also relubed my feathering shaft. I think one blade grip was tighter then the other but now they feel much better and move much smoother. Gonna try another run and check my tracking.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:52 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
Started working on my vibration today. What an adventure. I changed out the main gear because of wobble. It made a small improvement. Much quieter too. The EXI gear was warped AND oblong! I pulled the head and it was obviously well balanced because there was no change in vibration. Pulled the tail blades and saw no improvement. I pulled the tail rotor and threw it on the balancer. It was immediately clear that I had balanced everything BUT that. I tore it down and weighed the blade grips. There was 12 grams weight difference between them! I took the heavy grip to the bench sander and ground off about 1/8". It was getting real close to the blade bolt hole and still too heavy. I gave up and threw the tail blades on with a washer added to the blade bolt on the light side. It's much better now but I'm scared of that tail rotor and I don't want it jury rigged. I think that tail rotor is going in the trash. I just found a Tarot tail rotor NIP in the box of parts I bought back when I got this bird. I'll probably try it tomorrow. I'm way too burned out on this thing now. I should have the gyro in a few days and I'd like to have this sorted by then. My old half blind eyes really need a bigger bird like this.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,131 Posts
My tail was pretty close actually, I only needed two thin washers on one of the grips, got lucky I guess. There is still some vibration that I need to track down but I'm just glad to get it in the air, btw I replaced my main gears as well due to the same issue you had.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:40 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
For what I paid for the kit I pretty much expected to have to replace some parts so I'm not really upset. To have two identical sized blade holders have a 1/2 ounce difference in weight tells me this has to be a material density issue. My two blade holders probably came from different pours. In any case they're garbage bound. The rest of the bird still seems pretty good. I had already installed Align shafts and bearings after seeing some reports about problems in that area. I'll get back on the tail after work tonight. My gyro ships out today so will see it later this week. Maybe a test hover this weekend if I'm lucky.

Joe
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
Im bender please insert liquor
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,658 Posts
turbojoe , i picked up the plastic version and they were off too . I ended up just buying the align tail with the holders . Very smooth now , i think my tail shaft wasn't too strait either.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
turbojoe , i picked up the plastic version and they were off too . I ended up just buying the align tail with the holders . Very smooth now , i think my tail shaft wasn't too strait either.
I couldn't wait so I just mounted up the Tarot plastic tail rotor and stock plastic tail blades. Virtually all vibration is gone. Starting to sound like it's the luck of the draw for parts quality. (I had already replaced the tail shaft/gear with Align part.)

I wish the saddle bags on my motorcycle were bigger. I'd love to take this thing to work and do all the final setup. Sometimes I'm busy. Most times not. No bosses at night means I can get away with some hobby related things.

Joe
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,131 Posts
Glad you got it worked out! I'm tempted to do a re-balance on my tail now as well, my tail seems good but I think it could still be better.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:09 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
It's been a while since I've played with the helis so I took the TX to work tonight and got it all setup clean in my Futaba 9C. I put all the needed Finless setup videos on my Nexus7 and used them to refresh my memory on how to do it. Just waiting on the gyro now. I usually test hover my 450's in the living room. Probably not a good idea to do it with the 500 though.................

Joe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:45 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
It's been a while since I've played with the helis so I took the TX to work tonight and got it all setup clean in my Futaba 9C. I put all the needed Finless setup videos on my Nexus7 and used them to refresh my memory on how to do it. Just waiting on the gyro now. I usually test hover my 450's in the living room. Probably not a good idea to do it with the 500 though.................

Joe
Don't sweat it! over thinking is what always gets me into trouble with programming.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:18 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Don't sweat it! over thinking is what always gets me into trouble with programming.
No problems with the setup. It's all done now. Still waiting for the gyro. It got it for a good price and free shipping. I knew it wasn't coming priority mail so I don't expect it until Saturday maybe. No big deal. I think I'm going to pull the bird apart again and re-lube all the bearings. They're Align replacements but they've been sitting over a year. I'd like to go ahead and pull the shields and pack them with lithium grease. I've always done that with my RC cars and trucks.

Joe
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:07 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
Well !! !! Wasn't paying attention and the GP-750 gyro was set to digital and I was using an analog HS-225MG servo. Yep, cooked it. My own stupid fault.......

Now I need a tail servo. I've got HS-45,55,56,65,81,82,85 but no more servos big enough for this bird unless one of the smaller ones will be OK. 3D is absolutely NOT in this birds or my future. I simply need a steady tail for hovering and flying circuits. My fused left thumb will never allow me to accomplish any flying of the sort that would require a high end servo.

If the smaller Hitec's aren't going to work then I could use a recommendation for a servo. 4 VERY important considerations though:
1. It's gotta be CHEAP
2. It's gotta be available here in the USA
3. Shipping needs to be free or very reasonable
4. It's gotta be CHEAP

Joe
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:48 PM
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
402 Posts
You might try this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Well !! !! Wasn't paying attention and the GP-750 gyro was set to digital and I was using an analog HS-225MG servo. Yep, cooked it. My own stupid fault.......

Now I need a tail servo. I've got HS-45,55,56,65,81,82,85 but no more servos big enough for this bird unless one of the smaller ones will be OK. 3D is absolutely NOT in this birds or my future. I simply need a steady tail for hovering and flying circuits. My fused left thumb will never allow me to accomplish any flying of the sort that would require a high end servo.

If the smaller Hitec's aren't going to work then I could use a recommendation for a servo. 4 VERY important considerations though:
1. It's gotta be CHEAP
2. It's gotta be available here in the USA
3. Shipping needs to be free or very reasonable
4. It's gotta be CHEAP

Joe
This one might be an option. Price is good and I run the Futaba 9257 on the tail of my two 500s and they work great.

Maybe a low cost option:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=9257

Crashmaster
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,131 Posts
+1 on the 9257, holds really well and is fast!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:07 PM
Im bender please insert liquor
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,658 Posts
This is what I use , but it needs to be at 4.8 v
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...vo-es9258.html
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:39 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,178 Posts
I usually avoid Hobby King because when the selection is that massive it takes forever to sort through and find what you want. Luckily you guys are here to help me with a great suggestion. I just ordered the HKS9257 for $9.62 and 4 HXT900's for $2.99 each. I've been wanting to try the HXT900's and at that price you can't go wrong. Were it not for getting the HXT900's I probably would have gone for that ES9258 though. A great deal on that one too w/metal gears and rocket fast.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Joe