HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:16 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
610 Posts
Anybody on this thread convert their EXI to FBL. If so what head did you choose and why? I don't think I want to go DFC. There seems to be huge controversy on DFC vs. regular FBL head. I don't know enough about FBL make an informed decision.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Tarot do lots of different FBL heads, including non-DFC ones for the 500. There were reports of problems with some DFC heads on larger helis, but DFC allows the use of a shorter mainshaft, which can help agility. It's also just about the cleanest look for a heli head. The RJX head is good - on my 450's, I prefer the RJX head to the Tarot one, the heli feels more precise.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:51 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
443 Posts
FBL head suggestion

Here is what I used to convert one of my EXI 500s over to FBL.

http://www.nankinhobby.com/product-p/08-8506x.htm

Been happy so far.

Crashmaster
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgetman02 View Post
Here is what I used to convert one of my EXI 500s over to FBL.

http://www.nankinhobby.com/product-p/08-8506x.htm

Been happy so far.

Crashmaster
Align has no right to cry crocodile tears about being cloned after they cloned the TrackX head and called it DFC.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,224 Posts
You know I have seen this so many times in the five years I have been here, I even started out as one with the Align hating stuff. Align didn't clone the trackx head. The only people who spit this is compass lovers and align bashers. I don't see you on a daily bases bashing tarot, Alzrc, or any other company. That is why I label you correctly just a Align basher. It's unwanted and un-needed in a forum to help other pilots.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
You know I have seen this so many times in the five years I have been here, I even started out as one with the Align hating stuff. Align didn't clone the trackx head. The only people who spit this is compass lovers and align bashers. I don't see you on a daily bases bashing tarot, Alzrc, or any other company. That is why I label you correctly just a Align basher. It's unwanted and un-needed in a forum to help other pilots.
If I hadn't gotten so many bad Align parts I wouldn't have such a negative opinion of them. Tarot and ALZRC charge less so I expect a lower level of quality control from them for the prices they charge. For the price that Align charges I expect a better level of quality than what I've seen, which hasn't been significantly above that of the clone parts I've bought. It's also why I'm not even considering a Trex 550 or 600 next year and will be going instead with either Thunder Tiger or Gaui.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
HeliBent
United States, MD, Port Deposit
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
I bought the exi 500 a while back, but had problems with the parts quality at first. Tail holder screws snapping, rotor blades flying off in flight and smashing into the head linkage...all kinds of fun stuff. But that doesn't mean that I don't like this heli. I dig it. All of the replacement parts have been align, or microheli, or etc. I didn't want to use the exi stuff. The frame and most of the head are still stock, but that's about it. I have a blast tinkering with this heli! I can't wait to go bigger, maybe nitro. And yes one of these days I might go flybarless. I'm no pro 3D pilot by no means, so I probably haven't even pushed this heli to it's limits yet. One day... But it makes me smile, and I'm good with that!
suzukirobguy is offline Find More Posts by suzukirobguy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:50 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Just when I thought I was going to get a larger heli, converting my HK450 pro to FBL, $35 for the CX 3x1000 and USB adaptor, and another $15 for the HK RJX FBL head, completely transformed it, and gave it a whole new lease of life. I'd say go for it!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,224 Posts
That's one of the great things about the new fbl set up's. You can make them fly like the larger birds, but take up less space. Now if they can just put some borg speks in my eye's lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
I finally got my EXI500 CF flying nice, I had a bad vibe that i could not get rid of, finally pulled off the HK TT and replaced it with the original belt drive....smooooooooth as a babies bottom That TT only lasted 10 flights before it started shaking

I also got my EXI500 plastic upgraded to FBL using a Tarot FBL head and a CX1000, VERY nice! I plan on using this in a scale body....that CX1000 is incredible for $29

Anyway, for Christmas I decided to get another 500 as opposed to building my other plastic EXI500 I picked up a CopterX 500 FBL TT kit. I plan on using a zyx-s controller. What servos are folks using? I used MG930s on my previous builds and they work great with 1 infant mortality out of 9, the remaining flying lots of flights. Sorry to see these drying up. Anyway, any other non-$50 cyclic servo recommendation?
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,224 Posts
Do change the tail shaft bearing support with the align. That lead weighted one that comes with the copterx will just add to your tail heavy ness, but if you do that I would also use the align shaft. My copterx shaft I think I could use my jetti mind to bend it. Maybe that is why they require the metal lug with the bearings spread farther apart?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Do change the tail shaft bearing support with the align. That lead weighted one that comes with the copterx will just add to your tail heavy ness, but if you do that I would also use the align shaft. My copterx shaft I think I could use my jetti mind to bend it. Maybe that is why they require the metal lug with the bearings spread farther apart?
thanks for the hint, I will look into it
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
well, another Christmas is behind us and I have lots of projects but I decided to start with my old plastic EXI500 kit. I had a complete kit last 2011 Christmas but over the year I didn't build it and used parts until I was a few parts short of a flying model. I purchased some cheap servos, Fusonic which ehirobo sells for it 500 combos, they look pretty cheap so I picked up 4 so I could have a spare, now I will likely use the spare on the tail I am putting this together with some very inexpensive parts I have around the house so it will be a cheap build. I don't have a good quality tail gyro so I am using a flight mentor.

I have started this guy and expect it complete soon, then the copterX 500

This guys has
Fusonic HB-D-9650 on cyclic and tail
Hobbymate 60A ESC
Flight Mentor
9 ch Orange with 2 satellites
Hobbymate 3650 motor with 12T pinion
Hercules uBEC
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,214 Posts
I'm all for cheaper cost but I always make sure to use good quality electronics in my heli's, my EXI 500 CF version is almost ready to go, I'm running hitech HS225's on cyclic and a futaba 9257 with a gy401 gyro on the tail, esc is a castle Phoenix 60 with a Turnigy typhoon motor, receiver is one I already had and it's a JR R921 with sat. With the exception of the receiver and cyclic servos all the other parts were bought used and were really cheap, so I guess all I'm saying is you can find good stuff used for cheap rather then risking a model to sub standard electronics especially on a heli. I hope it all works for you and you get a long life out of it just check everything regularly and you should be ok.
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
Mhills
Im an equal oppertunity Heli Crasher. Give me any heli you like and sooner or later I will crash it LOL
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1