HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
With the wind blowing a steady state 21mph, gusting to 35 today I got the soldering iron out and replaced the stock screws holding the tail grips to the tail rotor. It took about two minutes with a 27 watt iron and they both turned right out. The thrust washers were bone dry. Lubed 'em up and I should be good to go tomorrow, weather permitting. It has been bad windy here for the last two days. Yesterday the SSW was 29mph gusting to the mid 40's.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,828 Posts
Same here with the weather! and 95 dry and hot. I now have three 500's I guess it's time to put one in a fuselage lol! but it seems most of the suppliers stock up during the winter knowing that is when most people start thinking about a long scale build and lower the stock in the summer. Everyone is out of stock.

Now if I could only get my wife to buy me the fuselage for my birthday Maybe they will be back in stock July 25th.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:06 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Finally got a change in weather today. One flight under my belt, battery charging. The aircraft is doing OK. I think I am going to like it a lot. I tried the rate mode on the gyro. It needs slight adjustment. I am very pleased with the EXI 500 so far.

RWW
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,828 Posts
Got out today with my 250 and two 500's. was able to get my 250 up on the edge of the field, but the line was long and full for the main field so after two hours was not able to fly my 500's. Every time a window would open someone was talking. Mostly me lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Wind is less than 5mph this evening. I need to get another battery for my EXI 500 so I can fly it longer. I had it in the sky for about 7 minutes.

RWW
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Flew again this morning. I flew for 7 minutes and put 1706 mah back into the pack which is a 6s Zippy 3000mah pack. 1706 back in calculates to 56%.

I will be adding 30 seconds to my timer to see how much longer I can get. I might end up in the 10 minute range if I am careful.

What kind of flight times are ya'll getting with your 3000 mah packs?

On another subject, I got the cable for my Castle Link device and I was able to read the settings from the ESC. I was shocked to find the ESC was set for an Airplane with Auto calculated end points. (I did buy it used, but the guy I bought it from said it was in a helicopter). I am surprised it worked at all. I downloaded the data and then cleared it. I set it up to sample once per second. I did not look at the data while the ESC was hooked to the computer. I did open the saved file and an Excel spread sheet was created. Has anybody ever tried to interep this spreadsheet data? Most of the numbers did not make sense to me. I will need to spend some time to study these numbers. I expected to see the graph but it looks like you need to be connected to the ESC to get the graph. I am going to ask Castle about that.

RWW
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Flew again this morning. I flew for 7 minutes and put 1706 mah back into the pack which is a 6s Zippy 3000mah pack. 1706 back in calculates to 56%.

I will be adding 30 seconds to my timer to see how much longer I can get. I might end up in the 10 minute range if I am careful.

What kind of flight times are ya'll getting with your 3000 mah packs?

On another subject, I got the cable for my Castle Link device and I was able to read the settings from the ESC. I was shocked to find the ESC was set for an Airplane with Auto calculated end points. (I did buy it used, but the guy I bought it from said it was in a helicopter). I am surprised it worked at all. I downloaded the data and then cleared it. I set it up to sample once per second. I did not look at the data while the ESC was hooked to the computer. I did open the saved file and an Excel spread sheet was created. Has anybody ever tried to interep this spreadsheet data? Most of the numbers did not make sense to me. I will need to spend some time to study these numbers. I expected to see the graph but it looks like you need to be connected to the ESC to get the graph. I am going to ask Castle about that.

RWW
When you download the data file save it, it should be in cvs format. When you install Castle Link software, it will install separate program called graph viewer, run that program then File, "load data"

Usually, I won't thrust the mAh rating labelled on lipo. I would rather do a little math, calculate and estimate the actual lipo capacity. Using 80% rule, when lipo used up 80% of rated capacity, the voltage per cell is about 3.75v. Then you may try to drain lipo so that the final volatge per cell is about 3.75v after flight. From that, you check from your computerized charger how much charge (mAh) you put back to battery. Use the total charge mAh and divided by 80% to estimate the actual battery rated capacity.

I found out some lipo actual capacity is only 75 to 80% of the labelled capacity...
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:38 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
When you download the data file save it, it should be in cvs format. When you install Castle Link software, it will install separate program called graph viewer, run that program then File, "load data"

Usually, I won't thrust the mAh rating labelled on lipo. I would rather do a little math, calculate and estimate the actual lipo capacity. Using 80% rule, when lipo used up 80% of rated capacity, the voltage per cell is about 3.75v. Then you may try to drain lipo so that the final volatge per cell is about 3.75v after flight. From that, you check from your computerized charger how much charge (mAh) you put back to battery. Use the total charge mAh and divided by 80% to estimate the actual battery rated capacity.

I found out some lipo actual capacity is only 75 to 80% of the labelled capacity...

Yikes, 75-80% of the battery rating sounds like someone is pulling a fast one.

thanks for the tip on the graph viewer. I will take a look for it.

RWW
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
IK did not find a stand alone graph viewer but I was able to trick it by going into demo mode. While in demo mode if you click on download a file it downloads a demo file but from there if you click on file from the tool bar it lets you load saved CSV files and it does display them. Pretty tricky if you ask me.

RWW
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
IK did not find a stand alone graph viewer but I was able to trick it by going into demo mode. While in demo mode if you click on download a file it downloads a demo file but from there if you click on file from the tool bar it lets you load saved CSV files and it does display them. Pretty tricky if you ask me.

RWW
Do you download castlink software from Castle Creations. The newest version is 3.51.05. After installstion complete, you should have 2 programs installed, Castle link V3.51.05 and CastleLink Graph Viewer 3.51.05. They are not demo version. They also create shortcut on your desktop theme.

Here is the link to download Castlink software

http://www.castlecreations.com/downl...-download.html

pay attention to special instruction for Windows Vista and 7 installation.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,828 Posts
Also if it is used you will see the person before yours data. It only holds about 5 flights and after that if you don't erase it won't save anymore.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
That is the version of software that I am running. I will need to try the download again. There is definitely data that is not mine on the front end.

RWW
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Tail Bearing Failure

I was about 2 minutes into my pack when tail bearings failed. I had just landed and was adding collective to lift off when the aircraft shook violently and spit the left tail boom off,made a funny noise, and the tail feathers were wobbling pretty good. Luckily I was on the ground. No other apparent damage.

RWW
Last edited by whitehedr; Jun 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,828 Posts
I replaced my original bearings with ceramic on the tail. Out of all the bearings the tail spins the fastest. I haven't had any problems with the align bearings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:03 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
I only replace them if I can't get them smooth with grease and oil when I build it. I had 2 bearings come apart on me , 1 was on the tail shaft pully, and the other was on the main shaft. I must of forgot to lube them and just blew apart. When I inspected the bearings , they were bone dry. The greased ones were just fine. So now before I put a pack on I check to see if I have some lube on them all , except the bearing in the TT , I just pray it stays together LOL.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo