Old May 16, 2011, 11:36 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
mij,
that heli should be really stable. hope you re-loctited all the metal to metal.

Rocket,
Where do you get that clone belted tail housin
My tail has really taken a beating over the past 2 years. I think I need an upgrade.
Huh I can't find it. Usually it's on ac-rc, hk-parts, cy-model. The only part I can find it this

oh wait here's one. Normally I think it's like $28, not $30 but there you go.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 11:39 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mij_nagrom88 View Post
my only complaint is the slop in the tail.hopefully the wieghts from heim joint will take care of that.
Which part is sloppy? If parts wear out I go to the LHS and get Align plastic parts. Reasonably cheap.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I tell everyone, that SS ESC does not have a good soft start. Don't buy it.

I have seen reports of the FMT ESC that is inexpensive and it seems to have a soft start that is acceptable.
k-force all the way (same as hobbywing platinum). Even their 60A will have a soft start and is more reasonably priced than their 70A. But the 70A will allow you to go HV.
Last edited by rocketscience; May 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:57 PM
tracy california
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
exi 500

yea i found out today how crap the landing gear is.snapped in two peaces.tookout my tail drive assembly and bent the tail drive bar.broke tail blades.30.00 dollar fix not bad.rocket.the tail control arm has a lot of play were the tail push rod ball is on the control arm.
mij_nagrom88 is offline Find More Posts by mij_nagrom88
Old May 16, 2011, 11:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
align gear is hard, but with enough force, it will snap too.
You can take the exi gear and boil it in water , yes boil it.
It will Flex way more than normal. And in a crash, it is less likely to snap.
especially if it's cold. You know, when it's -30F in California cold
But yea, boil things you want to bend and not break.
You can't boil the align gear cause it's fiber filled and won't change.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 17, 2011, 01:23 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mij_nagrom88 View Post
yea i found out today how crap the landing gear is.snapped in two peaces.tookout my tail drive assembly and bent the tail drive bar.broke tail blades.30.00 dollar fix not bad.rocket.the tail control arm has a lot of play were the tail push rod ball is on the control arm.
Hmm that could be either the arm or the ball.

this

and

this would prob do it.

or even this. I've used that 2nd pitch arm and it was a nice piece.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:22 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Hmm that could be either the arm or the ball.

this

and

this would prob do it.

or even this. I've used that 2nd pitch arm and it was a nice piece.
I did the align metal control arm upgrade to a 500 and it's a nice upgrade. I did not see that other one with the plastic insert before. That looks nice.

My EXI tail is still stock though. There are places where I recall grinding down some plastic or metal to get a better clearance for the bushings. On all those linkages, I check them one by one as I re-build the tail after a crash to verify I did not put loctite on bushings or have the right amount of spacing to get free movement. Any friction will reduced tail performance. Usually where there is a bushing, the bushing needs to be a minute amount
Old May 17, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Update

Got my kit as well as HK order in yesterday. Still waiting on ESC, tail servo, and bullet connectors to come in but that should be very soon.

Loctite'd metal to metal screws in both head assembly and tail assembly. One thing I did notice on the tail assembly was that there seems to be some binding when trying to do a full range of motion down the tail assembly pitch shaft.

When manually moving the pitch on the tail, it can go all the way down but there is binding on the last 20mm or so of the shaft. I cannot get the full range of motion when pulling on the tail servo linkage.

Is this a common problem? Should I just set the tail servo to compensate?
ApexPredator is offline Find More Posts by ApexPredator
Old May 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
tracy california
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
tail slop

ya i was test hovering in my garage like a tool and the prop wash gave it a little jolt and i panic cause it was heading for the wall.i hit throttle hold and it came down a little to hard.yes rocket when you twist the tail fin you can see the slop were the pitch arm is.that second arm you should me looks like a winner.ordered everything last night should be back in the air by sunday.by the way that typhoon has tons of power. i love it.
mij_nagrom88 is offline Find More Posts by mij_nagrom88
Old May 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredator View Post

Is this a common problem? Should I just set the tail servo to compensate?
Me personally I'd want it smooth. You might have a piece of plastic on the pitch arms that are getting caught.

I'd loosen all the screws on the pitch arm (4). see if it doesn't bind. then start tightening them 1 at a time (tighten till it start to resist, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn), testing looseness. When/if you find the 1 that's tight see if you can find the cause. loctite in the bushing?

If you loosen all 4 of them and it's still binding then obviously that's not it.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Me personally I'd want it smooth. You might have a piece of plastic on the pitch arms that are getting caught.

I'd loosen all the screws on the pitch arm (4). see if it doesn't bind. then start tightening them 1 at a time (tighten till it start to resist, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn), testing looseness. When/if you find the 1 that's tight see if you can find the cause. loctite in the bushing?

If you loosen all 4 of them and it's still binding then obviously that's not it.
Yeah, it had to be loctite because I pretty much took apart the whole assembly and cleaned it out. Going pretty smooth now although I imagine things can be a bit better w/ better bearings as well as more metal parts.

Does anyone put a light coating of grease on the tail slide shaft?

As I sit now, I mounted my cyclics, motor, drive gear, head, skids, etc. I also widened the holes on my servo arms so the screws would fit, tried a variety of methods but the best way to get a cleaner wider hole in the arm was to screw in about a 2mm philips head fastener. Did the trick.

Now I'm just waiting on the hobbywing 80a esc, tail servo, and banana plugs and then its on to receiver settings, blade tracking/balancing, gyro setup and a test hover.
ApexPredator is offline Find More Posts by ApexPredator
Old May 17, 2011, 10:09 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredator View Post
Does anyone put a light coating of grease on the tail slide shaft?
I usually spray silicone on the shaft. Sometimes I've had to sand it. the long way.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:30 PM
Maui RC Modelers
United States, HI, Lahaina
Joined Jan 2008
155 Posts
Quote:
I tell everyone, that SS ESC does not have a good soft start.
I have a HK SS Series 70/80A ESC and I had the soft start enabled and never had any problems like stripping gears, etc like so many others have had. Maybe I have been lucky with my SS Series esc, who knows.

I would like to try an 8s setup in my 500. Anyone know an inexpensive motor that can handle 8s in a 500?

Aloha,
Les
MolokaiBoy is offline Find More Posts by MolokaiBoy
Old May 18, 2011, 08:41 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
how do you turn on soft start on the SS? I thought it had no SS?
There should be a sticky thread on this darn thing in the motor section.
You got a link to the programming instructions?
Old May 18, 2011, 11:17 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolokaiBoy View Post

I would like to try an 8s setup in my 500. Anyone know an inexpensive motor that can handle 8s in a 500?

Aloha,
Les
I use this one 1300kv, and it's working well so far. Haven't tach'd it tho.

Don't forget you need a HV ESC - and a spark suppressor is a good idea if it doesn't come with one.

Typically HV ESCs don't come with a BEC. You can get a HV bec OR wire in a normal bec to use just ONE of 2 batteries if you use 2 4S in series.