HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:04 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,205 Posts
Spring blues.

Well I am back in the air after the winter break. 2 Out of 4 packs have a cell gone 'Man Down' despite storing at 3.8 Volts I will send them back to the importer and see how good they are
BUT, my tail shake/ wobble/ vibration is back Checked play, oiled the ball joints and put another layer of mirror tape under the Gyro, Align 750, no improvement!! Oh well, my Baby flies like a dream and you always have to have something to work on
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
good to hear from you paul.

In the video at 2:40 what exactly is going on with the head on that trex 500 it looks ready to fall off
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
Fusuno canopy for Exi 500

I could not resist plus there on sale cheap i have plenty of swashplate room and lipo space and they are flexible as advertised.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:59 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
711 Posts
Ok, 4S is out for anything but standard sport flying. However, I have to say, on a 4S 2200 I'm getting about 6 minutes of flight and nothing gets even close to hot. Didn't have an amp meter yet....

So, next up is 5s.

Also, I'm working on replacing the plastic tail with metal so I won't be "as" afraid of 6s...

Thanks again for all your advice and I'll keep you updated,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
IMO in the LONG run it may just be more economical to stick with higher V batteries. You don't need the high C ratings that way. Maybe a direct comparison between using your current motor and buying new larger capacity high current 4S or 5S batteries vs using your current batteries or even higher voltage (8S?!) and lower capacity, 25C batteries - and getting a new HC motor (1600kv or 1300kv).
RobDog is offline Find More Posts by RobDog
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:42 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Also, I'm working on replacing the plastic tail with metal so I won't be "as" afraid of 6s...
Why not stay plastic? You'll need a whole lot less tail servo torque. If quality is suspect, Align has the plastic tail grips with hub/bearings for $12.00
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:17 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
711 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure why I wouldn't stay plastic. I'm just scared because of the insane headspeed, the tail must be ballistic. I've taken it apart and greased the bearings etc, and it seems to be quality enough to handle the stress.... I guess I'm just being to cautious.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Why not stay plastic? You'll need a whole lot less tail servo torque. If quality is suspect, Align has the plastic tail grips with hub/bearings for $12.00
Old May 01, 2011, 01:18 AM
Maui RC Modelers
United States, HI, Lahaina
Joined Jan 2008
155 Posts
Quote:
I have the plastic version and have been running the stock plastic tail on 6s lipos and 11T/13T pinions and they've been doing quite well. The tail worked great for me on 6s and an 11T pinion (fixed endpoints and around 2500-2600HS).

I have just recently put in a 13T pinion and a CC Ice 75 and have been messing around with the governor. Seems to fly well at 2500, I have also been trying to figure out the best PWM for my Typhoon 500, I tried outrunner mode, will try 8/12khz and see what happens.

I ripped a ball link out of my upper mixing arm, so will need to get me some parts before I can fly again.

Aloha,
Les
MolokaiBoy is offline Find More Posts by MolokaiBoy
Old May 01, 2011, 01:26 AM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
711 Posts
Ok, I'm convinced to try it out. Tomorrow I'm going to run full tilt on 6S and ignore my worries. Wish me luck,

Rob
Old May 01, 2011, 08:11 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
While the plastic grips are several grams lighter, it is unknown how much strength those Skya supplied grip assembly screws actually have. The metal grip tails have been known to launch grips at higher rpm with the supplied screws...did you change the grip assembly screws as part of the build?
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old May 01, 2011, 05:06 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
tail screws that hold the grips to the hub are 2mm x6mm long.
I replaced those on mine after a crash.
I built an Align 500 2 years ago and the Align supplied screws SNAPPED when I unscrewed it. So even on an Align, I recommend replacing those tail grip screws.
I got mine from rtlfasteners.com
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 09, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 01:58 PM
Mac Carter
North Carolina
Joined Aug 2005
85 Posts
5cell working well.

I had posted a while back about my EXI500 bending tale shafts like melted butter. I tried a 5cell and it seems to have fixed the problem. I was running a Hobbymate 1700Kv/12t/6cell which seemed to work for a while but always seemed noisey like something was about to go, I put in the Turnigy Typhoon and it would just kill everything. I am going to try the Typhoon again with the 5cell and see how that works. Were are you guys getting the 11t pinions? The 5cell flies great, I only have 20c so pitch pumps are a little hard on it. Oh well, just thought this might help out someone else that was having similar issues at me.

Mac
Mac Carter is offline Find More Posts by Mac Carter
Old May 05, 2011, 08:05 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
11T I got at ready heli.
I see the link on post #1 is messed up for the Revco so I just fixed it.
http://www.readyheli.com/RevCo-Hard-...e_p_33777.html

If your running too hight an RPM are you able to tach it?
Droid app?
Optical tach on the ground?
Old May 06, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Nov 2009
196 Posts
I know this has been answered a dozen times. But Im to lazy to read back and find it.
But what is the best budget (gyro, rudder servo) combo.
I have enough exi spare parts to build another heli. So I may as well.
thunderfrog is offline Find More Posts by thunderfrog
Old May 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
Thought ill ask before i spend hours surfing the web

im using a futaba 401 gyro and spectrum ds520 servo on my tail, I upgraded to a torque tube but when i used the belt the gyro combo work very good but now with the tt i dont get tail wag unless im at mid stick and on the ground not lifted off yet ,when i get into a hover my tail is slow in one direction and semi fast in the other and my tail is centered but will drift opposite of wind direction. i switched and tryied 3 different gyros and the same effect i was going to try the tail servo until i saw the wag on the ground any idea's whats going on im also using the dx8 and im still getting use to it. any help greatlly appreciated
Old May 07, 2011, 09:32 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfrog View Post
I know this has been answered a dozen times. But Im to lazy to read back and find it.
But what is the best budget (gyro, rudder servo) combo.
I have enough exi spare parts to build another heli. So I may as well.
how much do you have to spend?
The Power HD servo from value hobby is popular.
Less than $20, use a GY48V
around $100, try to find a good GY401 by futaba used.
$120-$150 GY520 or Quark.

I myself have had BAD luck with Align Gyros.