HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:15 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I did it, but then took it off cuz mine vibrated a little giving me a waggy tail.

this post

For now I just bent the metal pushrod at the ends down to meet the balls. No issues this way.
Ive noticed that stock metal tail rod is too long and with the links is even longer, and thats with the tail servo bracket up against the frame,Ha just anther reason I made my own rod
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:30 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I did it, but then took it off cuz mine vibrated a little giving me a waggy tail.

this post

For now I just bent the metal pushrod at the ends down to meet the balls. No issues this way.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm concerned about. Even the smallest vibration in the heli would be exaggerated in that long rod. I have some "Z" bend pliers. Maybe I'll go ahead and put a bend in each end.

It's going to be a few weeks before I get my motor so all kinds of ideas keep creeping into my head while I wait. And wait. And wait...................

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:39 PM
Registered User
Austin Tx
Joined Feb 2003
333 Posts
Well I just did a spool up in the living room. Removing the washer between the 2 gears doesn't seem to have cause a problem. I ran it up to like 3/4 power, and let it run for like a minute and then cut the throttle. I will say a 500 has a much larger diameter and just overall presence than the 450's im used to. I was sitting there praying please don't let the main blades fly off. I gave the heli a once over and didn't notice any vibration issues and it appears none of the screws or anything came loose. Now, soon as I get my proper esc and new gyro in the mail I'll be able to actually take it for a test hover.
Stingeragent is offline Find More Posts by Stingeragent
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:40 AM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I'm concerned about. Even the smallest vibration in the heli would be exaggerated in that long rod. I have some "Z" bend pliers. Maybe I'll go ahead and put a bend in each end.

It's going to be a few weeks before I get my motor so all kinds of ideas keep creeping into my head while I wait. And wait. And wait...................

Joe
Actually I didn't use any tools, I just gently bent the rod with my fingers keeping in mind

1) the angle of the link ends on the balls and 2) making sure any bend doesn't hit the pushrod supports.

Also I am using 3 pushrod guides instead of 2 which probably helps a lot. I like the outrage ones from helidirect that you can screw on without taking the boom off.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:11 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingeragent View Post
Well I just did a spool up in the living room. Removing the washer between the 2 gears doesn't seem to have cause a problem. I ran it up to like 3/4 power, and let it run for like a minute and then cut the throttle. I will say a 500 has a much larger diameter and just overall presence than the 450's im used to. I was sitting there praying please don't let the main blades fly off. I gave the heli a once over and didn't notice any vibration issues and it appears none of the screws or anything came loose. Now, soon as I get my proper esc and new gyro in the mail I'll be able to actually take it for a test hover.
the living room??!!
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:02 AM
Registered User
Austin Tx
Joined Feb 2003
333 Posts
Yea, i take a broom stick and put it over the landing gear and then set some dumbells on either side. Keeps it planted in case something goes crazy and it tries to take off. Not much good I guess if a blade goes flying off but oh well, stand behind the couch
Stingeragent is offline Find More Posts by Stingeragent
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:22 AM
Older than rocks
n2wizard's Avatar
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2002
426 Posts
Stinger
Please read up on ground resonance. http://www.heli-chair.com/aerodynamics_102.html

Herman
n2wizard is online now Find More Posts by n2wizard
Last edited by n2wizard; Dec 20, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:36 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
what size blades you guyz running on the 500s ? need some that do decent autos
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 20, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:01 PM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
what size blades you guyz running on the 500s ? need some that do decent autos
not much choice except 425/430mm. fg will be a little heavier and hold more energy but CF will be nice and crisp. Stealth blades seem to be a decent deal but I have not tried them myself.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Registered User
norstaroption's Avatar
Pacifica, CA USA
Joined May 2009
456 Posts
Has anyone purchased this part from XHELI.com? I purchased one but when I received it the spacer is missing which is the only part I need in the package. I emailed xheli and they said that the spacer/washer is not included. What do guys think by looking at the picture and similar part from Align. I know it's only $4.00 but it's the hasle that's gets me.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-500-147.html
norstaroption is offline Find More Posts by norstaroption
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:15 PM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norstaroption View Post
Has anyone purchased this part from XHELI.com? I purchased one but when I received it the spacer is missing which is the only part I need in the package. I emailed xheli and they said that the spacer/washer is not included. What do guys think by looking at the picture and similar part from Align. I know it's only $4.00 but it's the hasle that's gets me.
I have not but I'd ask them why in the world would they picture a part that's not included. It's not like there's a picture of the entire heli kit in the background. It's a washer that seems obviously needed as part of the piece.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:32 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norstaroption View Post
Has anyone purchased this part from XHELI.com? I purchased one but when I received it the spacer is missing which is the only part I need in the package. I emailed xheli and they said that the spacer/washer is not included. What do guys think by looking at the picture and similar part from Align. I know it's only $4.00 but it's the hasle that's gets me.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-500-147.html
didnt really look at mine that close but seems like a good hardware would have something close, somewhere like Mclendens have a great selection of odd size goodys, wouldnt think its something to be too concerned about
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:37 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
not much choice except 425/430mm. fg will be a little heavier and hold more energy but CF will be nice and crisp. Stealth blades seem to be a decent deal but I have not tried them myself.
stealth blades sound interesting, then again I like the sound of blade wash too much
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:45 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norstaroption View Post
Has anyone purchased this part from XHELI.com? I purchased one but when I received it the spacer is missing which is the only part I need in the package. I emailed xheli and they said that the spacer/washer is not included. What do guys think by looking at the picture and similar part from Align. I know it's only $4.00 but it's the hasle that's gets me.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-500-147.html
Get the Align part and get the washer.
http://www.helidirect.com/align-onew...500-p-6056.hdx
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:52 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
....Ive seen some post here re how you guyz are mounting your bats and looks like ya got one top of the bat tray and one under, that seem to work ok? so whats the biggest bats that will fit in that heli w/o hitting the canopy? or should I stick with the 2200s
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product EXI 500 Carbon Edition RC Helicopter & 450/500 Fiberglass Canopies starting $12.95 xheli XHeli 2 Oct 06, 2009 05:03 PM
Discussion Official Trex 500 Thread? learninginverted Electric Heli Talk 0 Mar 17, 2008 11:57 PM