Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:33 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Can't see the value in spending twice as long charging a pack if your charger and balancer can handle it, or am I missing something????
Well talking about charging 2 packs in series together or separately, I'd prefer to do it separately at the same time (2 chargers). It takes a lot longer to balance 6 cells vs 3. A lot of times my balance charger hits the time limit of 2 hours trying to balance a 6S battery. But you have to remember I am using the HK balance chargers. Something like the cellpro or hyperion probably does it much more efficiently.

I just got back from my 8S maiden and am charging the 2x4S packs separately. Should take about 30-40 minutes. No idea how long it would take to charge it as a single 8S (not that my charger can even do it).
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:48 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade1 View Post
I see...

So if I were to get the one you posted, would that be used to fly with and charge ?
So yes get the SERIES connector to fly with, and you might want to throw another balance charger in there - easiest IMO. I think they go for $17 or so now.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
8S maiden

exi500 8S maiden (3 min 59 sec)
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
Go rocket

Can you handle that bird it looks fast thats just what i wanted to see that made my day. What are your actuall flight times, and how did you get all then lipos to fit can we get a pic.

Some one is talking about charging lipos together be careful i forget which way series or par but one way of charging is not safe when you are charging more than one lipo at a time
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:12 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton831 View Post
Can you handle that bird it looks fast thats just what i wanted to see that made my day. What are your actuall flight times, and how did you get all then lipos to fit can we get a pic.

Some one is talking about charging lipos together be careful i forget which way series or par but one way of charging is not safe when you are charging more than one lipo at a time
Yeah I need to tach it by the sound only I am guessing close to 3000. I need to bring it down to 2800-2900.

But it flies GREAT. And I don't have to blow $50 on 6S batteries. I flew it for the normal time of 5 minutes and each 4S 2200 pack was between 3.7-3.75v. So the same as a 3000 6S maybe 20 second shorter flight time to keep the batteries safe.

But now I can use the same batteries I use on my 450s and pusher and p51, etc etc. So the total cost of 2 4S nano batteries is about the same as a 3000 6S 25C nano.. BUT they don't have a single use for me.

There's a pic somewhere.. you can just look in my blog to see the batteries.

edit: here you go..

BTW I changed out that UBEC for the HV one. That 3A one can only handle 6S. on 8S it starts to get hot and melt the plastic shrink and smell funny...
Last edited by rocketscience; Dec 15, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
Sweet

I sold my nanos hopefully and went with mels mod .with a slightly different mod for the 225 servos , i am using a 6 cell 5000mah lipo and it balanced real good just waiting on the snow storms to clear . But seeing your 8 cell setup im more calmer because i was wondering about the cg but your flight assured me it would work. That was awesome well we now know if you build you exi real good it wont explode
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Hobbyking has a few packs of interest on sale:
Flightmax 2650, 6s1p, 30C, $31
Flightmax 2650, 6s1p, 40C, $39
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
The 2650 30c is a nice starter lipo i used them at first
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
290 Posts
Did you guys find it necessary to change out the tail belt drive with an align part? This is the part with the pulley and cog that run the belt. I have read that the pulley is a little high and that the cog does not fully engage the smaller cog on the main gear. Is this not the case for all clone 500's or is it not really a severe issue. I sport fly so I dont really beat on the heli. I just dont want to see this gear strip while in flight.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
hey dude your pretty hardcore out thier in that snow BTW where'd ya get those rubber blades?
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:46 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Carbon tail rod

thought id post this incase anyone wants an alternative>>>>>>>>its a 5mm carbon hollow rod 16 3/8 in. total length and cost about $4...what your seeing on the end is heat shrink covering the threaded rod then ofcourse the link.....I put about 15 lbs. pressure trying to pull it apart at the ends and it wont budge, made one for my 450 and it worked great, in fact it took away that wag problem I was having, dont ask me why tho
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 15, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:50 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
hey dude your pretty hardcore out thier in that snow also where can ya buy those rubber blades?
Ha seriously I will go back there next week and if the snow is there, my footprints will be the only ones still there.

You don't need rubber blades.. you just need a CMOS camera for $150!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:22 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,992 Posts
way too cold for me to out and fly , and i am not as north as you are .
well got my new project yesterday in the mail, its for the 500 . this thing is huge and it ate my 450 fuse all up
here is also a size comarison between the 250 , 450 and 500
jombo is online now Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; Dec 20, 2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:32 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
Quote:
thought id post this incase anyone wants an alternative>>>>>>>>its a 5mm carbon hollow rod 16 3/8 in. total length and cost about $4...what your seeing on the end is heat shrink covering the threaded rod then ofcourse the link.....I put about 15 lbs. pressure trying to pull it apart at the ends and it wont budge, made one for my 450 and it worked great, in fact it took away that wag problem I was having, dont ask me why tho
Some people buy the quick UK one. I have some carbon tube to make this for a couple of my helis but that's on the back burner. My LHS has tube that fits 2-56 threaded rod and I softly drill to make sure I can insert it. I then use JB weld and insert the threaded rod. Like you, add shrink wrap so the CF does not split. Flex or slop on the tail mechanics makes the gyro get into oscillations so getting rid of either or both not just makes it perform better, but also takes out some work on the servo.
And don't forget the weight mod:
http://www.mycoolheli.com/500mods/index.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:33 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
Quote:
Some people buy the quick UK one. I have some carbon tube to make this for a couple of my helis but that's on the back burner. My LHS has tube that fits 2-56 threaded rod and I softly drill to make sure I can insert it. I then use JB weld and insert the threaded rod. Like you, add shrink wrap so the CF does not split. Flex or slop on the tail mechanics makes the gyro get into oscillations so getting rid of either or both not just makes it perform better, but also takes out some work on the gyro.

ROCKET, that photo looks cool!
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic