HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
They're just #2 flat washers. The holes are kinda large for 2mm socket heads but they work fine. You can get the washers from Dubro. I have a pretty large selection of RTL hardware in SAE and metric. It comes in really handy at times.

Joe
OK #2 .. np there. I thought everyone was getting 1.5mm or so specific washers and I couldn't for the life of me find them.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:09 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
OK. Whether it's right or wrong here's how I did mine. I used the aluminum nut blocks that came with the kit. I used Align shims on the front cyclic servos only. The shims aren't needed on the elevator servo. It's impossible to see on the front servos but on the elevator servo you can see that one of the "nuts" is mounted with the raised area UP and the other is mounted DOWN. That takes up all the excess space in the servo bay and they fit nice and snug. Hope the pictures help. Sorry for the poor lighting.......

Joe
did you use too big a servo? mine had plenty of room , i didnt need any spacers for mine. the only problem i had was that darn tail servo rod and the way i needed to mount my servo up. i didnt have enough throw on the tail even with the endpoints being at max. i ended up finding a large servo arm to get the max throw in both directions. now i have another problem ,this is my first gy48v that stoped working in the 5 i have . this is also the only one i didnt put silicone to protect the top of the contacts from shorting out too. it seems the problem i found with this gyro is the case is too small and they jam the thing in the metal case. i have read through this whole thread, found all my issues i am having, melnic and rocket and a few others have gone through them and resolved the issues .
thank you guys for the fixes i see melnic also went with 3000 lipos for the tail heavy problem.

i have to say the 250 ,the 450 , no problem and isint intimidating to fly , this thing is crazy . i dont see how people say this is more stable than a 250 or 450 , i think this is just too scary maybe it sounds more like my chainsaw when the blades spin and their isint a chain brake to stop it from spinning lol.

well now their isint a way to fly it , its too cold and their is no way i will be testing it in the basement
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:19 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
OK #2 .. np there. I thought everyone was getting 1.5mm or so specific washers and I couldn't for the life of me find them.
i wouldnt of known this if i didnt have these trucks already , but the small washers and nuts and bolts can be found in the tamiya parts either the clod buster or their midnight pumkin or other trucks. it seems their the same threads as these helicopters
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
MUPPETHUNTER
Texas
Joined Apr 2006
51 Posts
Quote:
Where are you guys getting washers for the servo mounting screws?
Are you referring to the huge amount of slop between the screws and the servo case or just washers? I didn't like all that slop so I found some Nylon shoulder washers then used a stainless washer on top of that. Worked perfect.

1 of Stainless Steel Flat Washer, ANSI, #1, 0.084" ID, 0.219" OD, 0.025" Thick (Pack of 100) $2.81 Smallparts.com P/N B000FMYCT8
1 of Nylon Shoulder Washer, 0.093" ID, 0.154" OD, 0.031" Thick, 0.250" Shoulder Diameter, 0.031" Length (Pack of 100) $3.34 smallparts.com P/N B00137S6O6
roady89 is offline Find More Posts by roady89
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:49 AM
MUPPETHUNTER
Texas
Joined Apr 2006
51 Posts
Speaking of screws....I've got set screws for life. I ordered 4 M4-0.7 x 4mm DIN 916 Plain Cup Point Socket Set Screws for my 500 from fastenal......I got 4 alright...4 BAGS!!!, 4 bags of 100 in EACH bag! LOL! I ordered 4 at $0.0707 each and got 400. LOL!

Hers the grade 12.9 Part numbers I ordered from fastenal to replace the main and tails

39504 M3-0.5 x 10mm CL 12.9 DIN 912 Plain Socket Head Cap Screw
0134596 M2-4 x 6mm CL 12.9 DIN 912 Plain Socket Head Cap Screw
0135869 M3-0.5 x 20mm CL 12.9 DIN 912 Zinc Socket Head Cap Screw
0135865 M3-0.5 x 12mm CL12.9 DIN 912 Zinc Socket Head Cap Screw
roady89 is offline Find More Posts by roady89
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
i have been playing around with the tail on my 500 ans i think i came up with a good solution to the servo angle problem. it hits right now but if i remove the extra part off the screw mount it will be fine . i also dont have the problems as in the beginning of this thread as the rod being too long , i can move my servo up or down the boom and still center the tail and without binding in either direction.
now i am just waiting on my new batteries to come in so i can test the ballance and maybe fly it .
Last edited by jombo; Dec 20, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:25 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
i just sold a few itmes and made enough for the 128 buck kit, but im now really thinking of not doing it.

seems theres to many issues that i dont feel like fooling with.
i may just purchase some more items for my 450s.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
i just sold a few itmes and made enough for the 128 buck kit, but im now really thinking of not doing it.

seems theres to many issues that i dont feel like fooling with.
i may just purchase some more items for my 450s.
yes thier were some problems with EXI not only with me but prolly some others Ive never heard of, if its possible and if you are considering an EXI 500 be "absolutley sure" when ordering INSIST they look in the kit and see if everythings thier, also get the name of who your talking too! if they decline take your money else where, rememeber its your money and you have the "right to know"
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 12, 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
they have those upgraded clones two there a little better.
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:36 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
this kit has all the cnc already http://www.xheli.com/18h29-exi500-carbonheli.html

bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Are you referring to the huge amount of slop between the screws and the servo case or just washers? I didn't like all that slop so I found some Nylon shoulder washers then used a stainless washer on top of that. Worked perfect.
That looks perfect. Clever solution.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i have been playing around with the tail on my 500 ans i think i came up with a good solution to the servo angle problem. it hits right now but if i remove the extra part off the screw mount it will be fine . i also dont have the problems as in the beginning of this thread as the rod being too long , i can move my servo up or down the boom and still center the tail and without binding in either direction.
now i am just waiting on my new batteries to come in so i can test the ballance and maybe fly it .
I think the easiest thing would have been to mount the servo holders on the other way. i.e., take them off the boom, flip them, put them back on.

like this

Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:35 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
i had it like that originally , and didnt like the slope of the rod , it was pitching down too much.
i just hoverd the heli on 11.1v lipo and added ballast to the front , i have to say this thing is as gracefull as a gazzell . besides still being slightly tail heavy it lifted off like it was light as a feather . this is definitly alot more stable to fly than a 450 or 250 for sure. now i am waiting for my deans to come in so i can make some series plugs for the 6 cells and for the new batteries to come in .
is it spring yet
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:19 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
is it spring yet
Tell me about it. I have the 500 all ready to go on 8s. A 57" mustang I'm building. A small combat foamy p51 coming in the mail.

And today we have a winter storm warning with -20 deg windchills. Can't do anything but build build build..

Ha. I think I have the same tube of grease and also the 5-pack of uniden phones.

Recently I just got the synthetic grease from helidirect. So far so good.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:11 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Tell me about it. I have the 500 all ready to go on 8s. A 57" mustang I'm building. A small combat foamy p51 coming in the mail.

And today we have a winter storm warning with -20 deg windchills. Can't do anything but build build build..

Ha. I think I have the same tube of grease and also the 5-pack of uniden phones.

Recently I just got the synthetic grease from helidirect. So far so good.
ouch , we are just getting alot of rain here now , if it werent raining it would be a nice day to fly . lol those uniden phones work great , we picked them up a costco a few years back . i love them , now i dont need to put a line in every room for a phone , all you need is a 120v plug .... kinde puts me out of a job though . when the power goes out we still have the old back up roatary dialer .

here is the final tail setup it is as strait as its going to get , is their a way to get the back not looking its going on a down slope .the ball on the end is already at its lowest point so i cant do anything their, do they make a rod holder that is a bit longer or is it something i need to make .
Last edited by jombo; Dec 20, 2010 at 04:12 PM.