HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
225 servo i have mines on the fourth hole also if i can remember it gives the right angle
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:45 PM
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I'm putting together the black friday plastic exi500 for a friend. I just ran into the same problem. shim too thick, was able to force the lower jesus bolt but then it squeezed the 2 gears together causing the owb to lock up. I just removed the shim entirely. (ill sand it down later)

Now I'm running into the flybar rubbing against the side of the slot in the headblock. This is all strange as these 2 parts (gear assembly and headblock) are the same as the exi500 carbon.
I just started my exi500 CF and my shim is to thick too and it's not even. One side is 1.03, the other is 1.00 millimeter. The align spec is 0.8 mm. That seems like what it should be.

I also have the boom case with the misaligned tail drive bearing supports.
ckindt is offline Find More Posts by ckindt
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:45 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
rocketscience:

The Align T-Rex 500 manual calls for 16-16.5mm distance from center to ball on the cyclic servos. Unless I missed it there is no spec in the manual for the rudder servo. For my 450's it's always been as close to center as possible. That's where I plan to start for the rudder on this bird too.

I'm working on mine right now and am seeing the same issue with the flybar on my CF version. I loosened up all 4 bolts on the flybar cage and then pushed the flybar through. I tightened up the bolts and all seems OK now.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:53 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
ckindt:

Sounds like exactly what I had. The spec may be .8mm (.032) from Align but on mine I had to go down to .7 (.028) to get an acceptable clearance.

Joe
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:18 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
rocketscience:

The Align T-Rex 500 manual calls for 16-16.5mm distance from center to ball on the cyclic servos. Unless I missed it there is no spec in the manual for the rudder servo. For my 450's it's always been as close to center as possible. That's where I plan to start for the rudder on this bird too.

I'm working on mine right now and am seeing the same issue with the flybar on my CF version. I loosened up all 4 bolts on the flybar cage and then pushed the flybar through. I tightened up the bolts and all seems OK now.

Joe
On my own exi500CF I went with the Align specs but I imagine those specs were written for the ds510 which I have. However I could swear the 225bb has different travel. But I'll go with what Anton suggests.

I was able the get the flybar in, but it does not want to tilt because it rubs pretty hard against the head block. No choice but to file it down.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:11 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Quote:
However I could swear the 225bb has different travel.
The HS-225 is capable of 180 degrees of travel but only if the TX is capable or if you use the 180 degree servo stretcher. Under normal circumstances it should operate as any normal servo.

Joe
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:32 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Here is where I put mine originally. Now it's at the bottom of the frame sticking out slightly. It's on velcro so in a crash it pops loose instead of getting smashed if the maingear breaks.
Thanks Melnic! If it wasn't for you a lot of us would be scratching our heads raw with this build!

Joe
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
Oh almost forgot i was thinking about what you guys were saying about the 16mm that the align manual says your all right , but i believe with the stand off of the 225 it changes the "how should i say this" the distance making it shorter on the 225 due to the stand off of the servo its not a straight line but a slanted one. i might be wrong but thats what i was thinking
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:16 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
rocketscience:

Joe
checking if ya rememebered those 2 little thin washers that go inbetween the flybar cage/bearing on the carbon model? if not sure will post a pic
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 05, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
EXI 500 WITH GAUI GM-504 BRUSHLESS MOTOR/2 SERIES NANO TECH 2650MAH (7 min 44 sec)

Sorry about the video quality i was setting up the 500 with the new motor i thought i did good with the 13t pinion i am setting my gyro gain and throttle curve. this motor is a winner
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:15 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
checking if ya rememebered those 2 little thin washers that go inbetween the flybar cage/bearing on the carbon model? if not sure will post a pic
No I definitely remembered those. In fact, after I remove the temp screws I use tape to hold the cage together so the washers don't fall out. I took the headblock apart and filed the slot. It's perfectly fine now.

I DID have to resort to using my old exi500 CF main gear assembly. I just couldn't file down the shim enough.. not sure how everyone is sanding these. I was able to get the gear in the frame but when I screwed the Jesus bolt in the owb gets very difficult to turn. The old EXI assembly went in fine. very odd. Like something in the factory changed these dimensions.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:47 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Quote:
No I definitely remembered those. In fact, after I remove the temp screws I use tape to hold the cage together so the washers don't fall out. I took the headblock apart and filed the slot. It's perfectly fine now.

I DID have to resort to using my old exi500 CF main gear assembly. I just couldn't file down the shim enough.. not sure how everyone is sanding these. I was able to get the gear in the frame but when I screwed the Jesus bolt in the owb gets very difficult to turn. The old EXI assembly went in fine. very odd. Like something in the factory changed these dimensions.
Because my flybar still wasn't as smooth as I wanted I took it all apart again and filed my head block slot too. Now it's as smooth as a babies butt.

I filed my shim down using the file on my Leatherman knife as it was the only file I had in the shop I was in at the time. I used my fingers to slide it back and forth for probably close to 15 minutes while constantly checking thickness with a caliper. It was a p.i.t.a. and my fingerprints are gone but it worked for me. The gears operate completely smooth now.

I've been finishing everything up today and came to the conclusion that all the balls and ball links are going to get scrapped in favor of Align parts. Even before sizing the links they come off too easy for my liking. I'm not even going to spool it up until they're replaced. I know it seems kinda anal but I'm in no big hurry. Hopefully the hobby shop will have them in stock and I'll get them on the way to work tomorrow.

Joe
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:01 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:

I've been finishing everything up today and came to the conclusion that all the balls and ball links are going to get scrapped in favor of Align parts. Even before sizing the links they come off too easy for my liking. I'm not even going to spool it up until they're replaced. I know it seems kinda anal but I'm in no big hurry. Hopefully the hobby shop will have them in stock and I'll get them on the way to work tomorrow.

Joe
You know what I had the exact same thought. On my own CF I have a mix of exi and align links but only because of crashing and whatnot. On that heli, the align links are better, but slightly. On this one, the exi links are so soft I resized them with MAYBE 2 turns and now they just pop off if you stare at them. I told my friend he should get some align links.

Also I just mounted the tail servo on the plastic servo tabs. Holy flex batman. Def need to upgrade that at least to the GF servo mount.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:17 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
my tail servos on the 500 are typically around 11 or so. I set them up so my tail servo has just under full travel at 100% stick movement in rate mode, then I adjust the end points using the gyro limit settings.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic