SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
Joe..was lookin around in the bag and found some kool little metal servo spacers but dont have the servos yet,so from what I can see they go inside the frame? also hoping those Hitech servos we ordered will fit right in, checked yours out yet?
I haven't opened any bags yet but yep, it looks like they're servo mounting nuts judging from the picture hfenn posted. There are new ones in the Align mounting package I picked up yesterday.

I have tried the HS-225's in the frame. They are a bit tight but a quick swipe with a nail file and they will clean up the edges of the frame and they'll fit like a glove.

I got handed a ton of work for tonight so I doubt if I'll get to post much more or work on the bird tonight either.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:12 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
i still have the Jr g370/ds3500 combo.

looking at your last set of pics, i noticed the tail rod has a bad bend in it. did you notice that?
Yeah I put that bend in there

I'm using my own pushrod guides which are a bit... short. the rod with the hole in it. So on the servo end and the tailcase end I just bent the pushrod a little. No noticeable effect, it's thick enough not to flex.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:17 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Yeah I put that bend in there

I'm using my own pushrod guides which are a bit... short. the rod with the hole in it. So on the servo end and the tailcase end I just bent the pushrod a little. No noticeable effect, it's thick enough not to flex.
OK,
so did the kit not come with guides? or was there something wrong with them?
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:31 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn View Post
Look closer and you'll see the holes are threaded. Those are mounting nuts for the servos. On 930MG size servos, the aileron and pitch servos mount outside the frame and the elevator servo inside. I hope the pictures help. I'm getting this EXI500 (plastic version) together. I have an HK500 already flying and I can say the EXI kit has better fit of parts so far that the HK. The only thing I've found sub-par so far is the boom braces, but I think they'll be adequate.
whats the spacing on your servos? Im getting some HS225s and thier 32.4 MM
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 02, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:35 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Quote:
OK,
You have to remember I got my kit sooo long ago. I've crashed and replaced them a few times. Lately I like to use the HDX ones because you can screw them on/off without taking off the boom. But it does comes with guides.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I haven't opened any bags yet but yep, it looks like they're servo mounting nuts judging from the picture hfenn posted. There are new ones in the Align mounting package I picked up yesterday.

I have tried the HS-225's in the frame. They are a bit tight but a quick swipe with a nail file and they will clean up the edges of the frame and they'll fit like a glove.

I got handed a ton of work for tonight so I doubt if I'll get to post much more or work on the bird tonight either.

Joe
wow, you say the 225s barly fit when thier 32mm and the slots are 36, ya might wanna fill us in on that one
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
[QUOTE=bad400;16713283]OK,

from what Im seeing IMO its a good idea to get rid of those guides and go with a home made carbon control rod, way better control and no flex
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 02, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:29 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Quote:
wow, you say the 225s barly fit when thier 32mm and the slots are 36, ya might wanna fill us in on that one
I should have been more clear. They're tight on the sides and only by a whisker. A firm push will get them in. A quick clean up of the frame edges with a nail file will let them slide in a little easier is all. It's actually the inconsistency of the servo cases at the split lines that causes them to not slide in perfectly. It's really a non issue.

Joe
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:27 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Quote:
looks like the spartan/outrage combo is sold, so i may be ordering the 500 tonight.

then again, now after reading about all the parts being left out, i may just have to pass.
lectroglides missing parts is the first post I've seen about anything missing. I think he just happened to be the unlucky one. Don't let that one problem decide how you buy. If you read the ALIGN 500 forums you'll never buy a 500 heli regardless who made it. They ALL have their problems!

Sure the kit isn't perfect but for the price you simply can't go wrong. The more I get a few minutes to spend on my build the more I'm happy that my son decided to buy us both the carbon fiber editions. Just for gins I mounted up the boom, tail box and canopy this morning so I could see it as big as it will be when completed. I now know it's the perfect size for my failing old eyes. YAY!!!

So far I've found very few issues with my particular kit.

1. Tail rotor bolts MUST be replaced! That's with any Align type 500 clone INCLUDING genuine Align. This is a safety issue and shouldn't be avoided. I'll be replacing ALL bolts in high stress areas with 12.9 grade just to be on the safe side.

2. All thrust bearings need to be greased and all radial bearings need oil. This is true for virtually all heli kits out there. Just basic maintenance really.

3. The landing gear legs in my opinion are soft and maybe too weak. Time will tell though. I'll look into Raptor 30 gear like I used on my Gaui Hurricane 550 that I sold. They may be too big for a 500 though....

That's about it so far. I really thought I was going to get a polished turd. So far it has been a real gem based on the price we paid.

Go ahead and place your order. Don't forget to use the XHELI10 coupon to save $10.00 off the $127.70 price. Plus you get free shipping. $117.70 shipped. You can't beat that....

Joe
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
joe, you still didnt say anything about those metal spacers that come with the kit and if theyll work with the 225s as far as fitting length wise.........if you forgot Ill refresh your memory

the hs225s are 32.4 MM and the slots in the heli are 36mm,have you checked this out yet? still waiting on the servos from tower
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 03, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:54 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Quote:
joe, you still didnt say anything about those metal spacers that come with the kit and if theyll work with the 225s as far as fitting length wise.........if you forgot Ill refresh your memory

the hs225s are 32.4 MM and the slots in the heli are 36mm,have you checked this out yet? still waiting on the servos from tower
They're not spacers. They're just nut plates. You'll still need spacers. I measured the ones in the Align H50057T package at .112 thick. It should be easy enough to find some scrap plastic close enough to work if you want to make your own. The thickness won't be critical. Just need to make sure the two servos don't bind on the backside when installed.

Don't worry about the extra 3.6mm frame slot length. Think of it as extra "adjustability". They'll be locked in place once tightened down. I'll try but probably won't get a chance to mount up the servos today. I've got a ton of stuff to do before work today. Remember, I work nights.

Joe
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
They're not spacers. They're just nut plates. You'll still need spacers. I measured the ones in the Align H50057T package at .112 thick. It should be easy enough to find some scrap plastic close enough to work if you want to make your own. The thickness won't be critical. Just need to make sure the two servos don't bind on the backside when installed.

Don't worry about the extra 3.6mm frame slot length. Think of it as extra "adjustability". They'll be locked in place once tightened down. I'll try but probably won't get a chance to mount up the servos today. I've got a ton of stuff to do before work today. Remember, I work nights.

Joe
ok If those darn servos ever show up itll probibly be easier to see whats goin on, BTW glad to see someones employed!
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Quote:
BTW glad to see someones employed!
Boy, do I know ALL about unemployment! That's for another thread though......

Joe
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
On my 500 3g from Align the tail blade grip bolts SNAPPed when I removed it so snapping bolts is no stranger to Align either. The plus of the EXI landing gear over align is that is is NOT fiber filled and is more likely to bend before braking. If your training, it will make it bounce more, but a bounce is better than a hard slam on the ground that might cause a boom strike.

If you use those metal servo plates, you can drill the threads out and then use them as spacers. I did that on my Hitec servos and then used nuts/washers on the backs. 2mm screws/nuts or 2-56
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:45 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
OK lectroglide I did this just for you buddy. I just mounted up the aileron/pitch servos. The raised area on the EXI servo nut plates when one is flipped over makes a perfect space filler for that extra area that the servo doesn't fill. It's difficult to describe. You'll see what I mean when you go to install yours. I'd shoot and upload some pictures but I can't find the blasted USB cable for my camera!!

Joe