Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:23 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
The fact the the shafts are magnetic does not represent how tough they are. They're either made from a magnetic steel, or not. Either can be very strong. I wish they would advertise what type of steel, what heat treat, and what the yield strength is for these shafts. That's the kind of info people use when picking out materials for certain applications.
I would think if you asked them something like that they would say "they didnt know and we the flyers have no way of finding out unless someone wants to get technical and have the metal xrayed, so whats the point, if the part breaks, it breaks, but if someone wants spend a jillion bux to have it analyzed that would be up the individual in question
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 29, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
293 Posts
I bought 4 blue lipos from them this year and their shipping out was great. They actually sent them when they said they would. I also bought some mg 90 servos and an esc from them on a separate order and it shipped out when they said it would too. Great service so far hope they continue.
On the 4 blue lipos I bought 2 that were 2200 mah 4s 30c and they are great. The other 2 that I got were 3s 2650mah 30c. Unfortunately one of these was not balanced right and took alot to get it charged the first time. One cell was low. Can't remember what each cell was but it was low enough that the charge took over 90 minutes on my b6 charger. After charging it a few times it still takes over an hour to charge when the other one only takes about 30-40 minutes. I didn't catch it untill after I cut off the plug and put a Deans connector on it so I couldn't send it back. So, when you get your batteries from anyone, be sure to check cell voltages and charge them before cutting off their plugs and puting the plugs on of your choice LOL.
Even though this battery takes alot longer to charge, it still works great.
J
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:53 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff reeves View Post
I bought 4 blue lipos from them this year and their shipping out was great. They actually sent them when they said they would. I also bought some mg 90 servos and an esc from them on a separate order and it shipped out when they said it would too. Great service so far hope they continue.
On the 4 blue lipos I bought 2 that were 2200 mah 4s 30c and they are great. The other 2 that I got were 3s 2650mah 30c. Unfortunately one of these was not balanced right and took alot to get it charged the first time. One cell was low. Can't remember what each cell was but it was low enough that the charge took over 90 minutes on my b6 charger. After charging it a few times it still takes over an hour to charge when the other one only takes about 30-40 minutes. I didn't catch it untill after I cut off the plug and put a Deans connector on it so I couldn't send it back. So, when you get your batteries from anyone, be sure to check cell voltages and charge them before cutting off their plugs and puting the plugs on of your choice LOL.
Even though this battery takes alot longer to charge, it still works great.
J
if your refering to EXI/Hobbypartz "same outfit" yes theyve been very dependable
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
293 Posts
Yes they are dependable. I really hope they stay that way. Hobby Lobby has their thunder power 3300 mah (in only 20c) 6s for $159.99! Which one would you choose? I think I would rather have 3 batteries at 30c than one at 20c! That just tells you how much that they actually have in these batteries for materials.
I alway take very good care of my batteries because they are an expensive investment. Out of the dozen or so batteries that I have purchased over the last 2 years only 3 batteries have failed me. One was due to a very bad crash and it ruined the battery. The other two were:
My $75.00 Align 2200 3s - It reads 11.7 volts but will not charge. Bummer.
My $65.00 Thunder Power 2200 3s. Won't charge either. each cell reads 3.9 volts so it isn't dead just will not charge. I took it apart to see if any of the wireing was broken or bad but all of the wires were intact.
ALL OF MY OTHER batteries are cheap lipos (rhino, blue lipo or turnegy) and after a heck of alot of charges each, they ALL work great!
So, what does that tell ya-all?
I will NEVER buy a high end expensive battery again. Even though the high end manufacturers say they have "warranties" and better "quality control". The cheap batteries have quality control too and also you can return them if they don't work but it is sometimes harder to do so.
J
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:12 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
Thanks guys. I was a little concerned about dealing with them again because I ordered some packs back in July. Got a confirmation e-mail that they were in stock and shipping. Then got a USPS tracking number e-mail. Two days later I got an e-mail saying they were out of stock. Needless to say I was a little peeved. I took a chance and ordered the EXI 500. UPS tracking says it's on my porch right now (I'm at work). It got here fairly quick considering it was UPS and there was a major holiday. When I ordered the 3300 pack today I noticed my last name wasn't on the confirmation. I called and gave him my name. Also asked him to confirm that the pack was in stock. He said yes. As long as I don't get another out of stock e-mail again I'm sure I'll be happy with them. I'm really looking forward to tearing into the heli when I get home. That won't happen until about 1:00 a.m. though.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
How well does that 30C 6s 3300 Blue Lipo fit in the Exi 500? How much does it weigh for CG purposes? Looking for an answer from someone who has one of these.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:23 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
I just got home and the EXI 500 is here. Gotta say I'm damned impressed for what it cost. Even the plastic canopy looks pretty good. The head and tail are virtually slop free unlike my T-Rex 450s. I'm getting ready to start yanking and replacing bolts in high stress areas just for safety sake. I'll also make sure everything is grounded to avoid ESD while I'm at it. In short I plan to take all the time in the world to make sure everything is right so I don't find problems while it's in the air.

Joe
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:55 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
After a few interruptions I finally got the tail done. Thrust bearings greased, radial bearings oiled, bolts replaced with RTL 12.9 bolts and everything has been LocTited.

One thing I learned is that there is absolutely NO excuse for all the posts I've read here and on other forums about people breaking these tail grip bolts during removal! It's quite obvious they've never dealt with a thread locker before. When the bolt stops turning STOP TWISTING ON IT!!! Screw it back in a bit. Then screw it back out a little. You may have to do this several times to get it to come all the way out but it will come out and in one piece. Keep in mind this is only a 2mm bolt! You can't strong arm something this small! Throwing some heat at it with a soldering iron or heat gun will help but common sense is the #1 way to to get them out without breakage. THINK before cranking on them.....

Joe
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:08 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
i was looking at cyclic servos last night. if you go by the ds510 case`s spec`s, i found three that fit with no mods.
so why is the 500 so hard to find a decent selection of cyclic servos for?

theres like 20 different servo`s for the 450`s and the 600`s, but the 500 seems to have been left out.

i found the ds510`s of course, the futaba 9650 and a savox, but thats like all that are in the right dimentions.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:30 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
that is weird they do have some others that fit but your so far out on the ball links its crazy
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post

i found the ds510`s of course, the futaba 9650 and a savox, but thats like all that are in the right dimentions.
Check post 1. My friend just ordered some hs 225bb. $17 ea.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Check post 1. My friend just ordered some hs 225bb. $17 ea.

i saw these last night, but they are shorter and fatter.

if i can do a 500, i would like to do a direct fit servo. imsure your friend will have the servos and installed before i will even see a 500, so i`ll keep an eye on this to see how they fit.

i was leaning towards the the 9650`s, but the savox servos are looking good too.

rocket, how are the ds510`s holding up? do you have many flights on the 500 yet?
i saw some hitec`s with like 127oz`s of torque and like 11 sec transit speed, but they are 40mm x something x something. way to big for a 500.
these 225`s are the only hitec`s i see that are even close in size.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
The Hitec HS5245MG fit the mount holes and the screw holes line up, but spacers are required because they are tall. The Align kit includes spacers so these servos can be used. I had them in the Align Trex 500 I had last year. I put 64 flights on it before I sold it. I have an HK500 with the Turnigy 930MG with 32 flights so far and no issues with the servos. I just got an EXI500 kit in and the head and tail assemblies have much less slop in them than the HK did. I'm putting the 930's in it as well.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
After a few interruptions I finally got the tail done. Thrust bearings greased, radial bearings oiled, bolts replaced with RTL 12.9 bolts and everything has been LocTited.

One thing I learned is that there is absolutely NO excuse for all the posts I've read here and on other forums about people breaking these tail grip bolts during removal! It's quite obvious they've never dealt with a thread locker before. When the bolt stops turning STOP TWISTING ON IT!!! Screw it back in a bit. Then screw it back out a little. You may have to do this several times to get it to come all the way out but it will come out and in one piece. Keep in mind this is only a 2mm bolt! You can't strong arm something this small! Throwing some heat at it with a soldering iron or heat gun will help but common sense is the #1 way to to get them out without breakage. THINK before cranking on them.....

Joe
Thanks for that heads up Joe! I am the type of person that will keep twisting untill they break but not now, everytime I will take a screw out from now on, I'll remember your quote because it was so bold LOL!
J
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
i saw these last night, but they are shorter and fatter.

if i can do a 500, i would like to do a direct fit servo. imsure your friend will have the servos and installed before i will even see a 500, so i`ll keep an eye on this to see how they fit.

i was leaning towards the the 9650`s, but the savox servos are looking good too.

rocket, how are the ds510`s holding up? do you have many flights on the 500 yet?
i saw some hitec`s with like 127oz`s of torque and like 11 sec transit speed, but they are 40mm x something x something. way to big for a 500.
these 225`s are the only hitec`s i see that are even close in size.
I seriously got sick/tired of looking for servos for the 500 and yes they take an odd size like 37MM which are scarce as hens teeth, fianally found some Hitec 225s thanx to Joe at tower for $17 ea. shipped!! so lets see>>>>>were waiting for 3 servos, ESC and motor, everything else is here ready to install..we snagged a plastic "geeez I hate that word" 500 so thats 1st on the install list then when I get the buggs worked out transfer everything over to the carbon version, then the next labor of love starts
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 30, 2010 at 08:40 PM.