SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Hey guys. The plastic version is on Black Friday sale right now for $60.00! If I had the extra money I'd grab one just to use for parts.

Joe
ditto on that one!!! just buying spares for that model is way more ! one good thing I can say for EXI is theyve been very dependable
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
if you get the opto ESC you will need one of these to power your electronics
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ubhvoulbe.html

I always use one, the switch helps protect the electronics from the BIG spark.

This ESC has a BEC built in
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ubhvoulbe.html

good luck
thanx but am needing atleast 60A with BEC, so how much trouble is that regulator to hookup? also that valcano sez it has 5V BEC, is that enuff for our helis?
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 26, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Don't use the BEC with your ESC. Use a seperate BEC. It works better that way. Seldom do the ESCs have a sufficent or efficient switching BEC built in.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 04, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:01 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
302 Posts
I just ordered the plastic/metal Exi 500 for $57, keep in mind you can use a 5% coupon on these. This is going to be my project heli over the winter. I am going to order an HKTT tail and new blade holder. What screws need changing? The head and tail feathering shaft screws? I will just use this heli for sport flying so dont need to go nuts changing parts out for align. I just need it to stay in the sky for some fast flying.
ck986 is offline Find More Posts by ck986
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Don't use the BEC with your ESC. Use a seperate BEC. It works better that way. Seldom do the ESCs have a sufficent or efficient switching BEC built in.
so your saying to get one with opto and use a regulator right?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
so your saying to get one with opto and use a regulator right?
With the higher loads a heli puts on servos it's a good idea not to trust the BEC on any low dollar ESC. You don't have to have opto. You can just pull the red wire from the ESC connector to disable it so you can run the external BEC.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
if the opto is cheaper sure, you can still use an ESC with a built in linear BEC with a seperate UBEC. just pull the red wire out of the ESC's servo wire and fold and tape it back. I will shrink wrap it.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
if the opto is cheaper sure, you can still use an ESC with a built in linear BEC with a seperate UBEC. just pull the red wire out of the ESC's servo wire and fold and tape it back. I will shrink wrap it.
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 26, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
what do yall think about something like this?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:20 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,626 Posts
I use the 70amp High Voltage version of that ESC in my HK600, only had a few flights of hovering to trim the heli and sort out some vibration issues but so far it runs great, hasn't even gotten warm (I'm using a 12 series batt setup which is the maximum my ESC is rated for). The only 'issue' is the soft start, the initial jolt is a bit sudden when you first advance the throttle, I've found if I advance it just a little bit, wait a second, then move it to about 1/4 stick it's not too bad. After I hear the motor stabilize rpm's (takes about 4 seconds) then I just advance it more and go flying.

If they have the 70A-HV version and it's not too much more expensive than the one you showed (I think I paid about $70 from memory) then I would seriously suggest you buy it, providing you are doing a 5S or 6S power system. It also has a handy anti-spark system so you don't get the big blue spark and crackling sound when you plug your batteries in. My 500 clones run on 6S and make a loud crack when plugging the batts in so much so you can see it mark the deans connectors. My 600 uses 2 of the same batts in series for twice the voltage but there is no spark.

Also I use a separate UBEC as the 70A-HV version is opto, and if you can pick up the programming box it makes it a lot easier to program.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:24 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
The only 'issue' is the soft start, the initial jolt is a bit sudden when you first advance the throttle, I've found if I advance it just a little bit, wait a second, then move it to about 1/4 stick it's not too bad. After I hear the motor stabilize rpm's (takes about 4 seconds) then I just advance it more and go flying.
So the soft start isn't that slow? I have the 40A version of this and it's super slow. And I have the 70A version on order. Was hoping it would be just as slow as the 40A version.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:39 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,626 Posts
It's kind of hard to describe, if you punch it straight to say half throttle, the tail will kick a little bit (about 45 degrees for me, on hard packed dirt) but it still takes 4 or 5 seconds to get to half throttle, then after that it reacts as quick as you can move the stick. On grass that is about 2 inches long it doesn't seem to kick as badly though. I'm just wondering if because I am using a 12S HV (50v when packs are fully charged) setup if that is making the soft start a bit harsher than it should be? Either way it doesn't bother me, for $70 I'm happy with it.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:55 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
I'm just wondering if because I am using a 12S HV (50v when packs are fully charged) setup if that is making the soft start a bit harsher than it should be? Either way it doesn't bother me, for $70 I'm happy with it.
OK it sounds like it will work just fine. I'll be on 8S and on grass. I just canceled the one on order from HC and ordered it from hobbypartz for $77 w/ free shipping. Tired of waiting.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:10 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I use the 70amp High Voltage version of that ESC in my HK600, only had a few flights of hovering to trim the heli and sort out some vibration issues but so far it runs great, hasn't even gotten warm (I'm using a 12 series batt setup which is the maximum my ESC is rated for). The only 'issue' is the soft start, the initial jolt is a bit sudden when you first advance the throttle, I've found if I advance it just a little bit, wait a second, then move it to about 1/4 stick it's not too bad. After I hear the motor stabilize rpm's (takes about 4 seconds) then I just advance it more and go flying.

If they have the 70A-HV version and it's not too much more expensive than the one you showed (I think I paid about $70 from memory) then I would seriously suggest you buy it, providing you are doing a 5S or 6S power system. It also has a handy anti-spark system so you don't get the big blue spark and crackling sound when you plug your batteries in. My 500 clones run on 6S and make a loud crack when plugging the batts in so much so you can see it mark the deans connectors. My 600 uses 2 of the same batts in series for twice the voltage but there is no spark.

Also I use a separate UBEC as the 70A-HV version is opto, and if you can pick up the programming box it makes it a lot easier to program.
so your saying this unit would not work for simple sport flying and a 6S ? getting a bit confused and keep hearing diffrent things
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
so your saying this unit would not work for simple sport flying and a 6S ? getting a bit confused and keep hearing diffrent things
It's been well documented that a 3amp BEC is marginal for a 500 size heli. Just get the basic 60amp controller with an external 5amp or better BEC. If you are too confused over the whole external BEC thing then just spend the bucks on a Castle ICE 75 which has an adequate BEC circuit and superior programming for a heli.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring