HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I honestly don't want to have to read through almost 4000 posts so can someone recommend a cheap motor that is available in the USA that will be good for basic sport flying? I already have an Align 100 amp ESC.

Joe
this one 1500kv might work for you.

this one 1600kv is the same HC sells but it costs a little more.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,378 Posts
The 1500kv one is only 650 watts, might be a little thin, probably will work.
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:05 AM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
no doubt servos for the EXI 500 have been exremely hard to find!! and Im done with HK so am looking for some alternatives, I noticed on the last few post guys are using some Hitecs?? and gruapner? if ya got any spares lying around or know where I can pick some up for a "reasonable price" plez gimme a shout, I can sure use some!! P/S sure would be nice if EXI would supply equip. for thier helis, especially the 500s
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
429 Posts
i started to use cheaper servos but was to scared one might die or glitch in flight since the kit is cheap i mostly used higher end electronics,i have some hitec servo over 2 years old and still kicking ran at 6v, theres nothing like reliablity. i only have a extra tail servo futaba 9253 bought used and used once works $40.00 shipped i was going to a nitro but cant afford the fuel. tower hobbies have the buy 3 and get a discount on most hitec servos. thats what i did
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:49 PM
Registered User
Flyitall's Avatar
South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
Lectroglide: Go with good Futaba 9650 servos for the swash, they are brilliant. Do not worry about metal gears on a 500 size, rather let the gears strip and save the servo. I am using Futaba's with great success. I was going to use the MG930's, and had them already, but chickened out. A 500 is not a toy and could be lethal.....use good servos

Check out Tower Hobbies, they do good deals. Check Finless Bob videos on how to install them properly.
Flyitall is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:32 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall View Post
Lectroglide: Go with good Futaba 9650 servos for the swash, they are brilliant. Do not worry about metal gears on a 500 size, rather let the gears strip and save the servo. I am using Futaba's with great success. I was going to use the MG930's, and had them already, but chickened out. A 500 is not a toy and could be lethal.....use good servos

Check out Tower Hobbies, they do good deals. Check Finless Bob videos on how to install them properly.
yes Im aware of the 9650s and will be using the only one I got on the tail, right now thier a bit more than I have to spend...PM sent
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:12 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I don't know why they rate the Helium so low but if your not stick banging, your likely to only pull 450-550W on average anyway. I don't stick bang w/ the EXI 500 I have my Helium on but it's never gotten hot on me anyway.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
S.A.D. member
ivanc's Avatar
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
yes Im aware of the 9650s and will be using the only one I got on the tail, right now thier a bit more than I have to spend...PM sent
S9650 is kinda slow for the tail. S9257 is the Futaba mini tail servo.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:23 PM
Sailplane Mafia
gquiring's Avatar
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
S9650 is kinda slow for the tail. S9257 is the Futaba mini tail servo.
It's fine if you run at 6v, I have all 9650's in mine with a 6v BEC setting.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:44 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,320 Posts
Hey guys. What about the Hitec HS-225? They're the right size with lots of torque and speed and the price is right. I Googled them and found a lot of bad posts about them from 2004-2005. Hard to find anything bad being said now. Seems a ton of guys using them in the T-Rex 500 threads on HeliFreak.

It sounds like the pile of HS-85mg's I already have are really going to be marginal. If the 225 is going to be a better low cost alternative I may have to go that direction. Anyone have horror stories on these servos that are less than a year or two old?

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Hey guys. What about the Hitec HS-225? They're the right size with lots of torque and speed and the price is right. I Googled them and found a lot of bad posts about them from 2004-2005. Hard to find anything bad being said now. Seems a ton of guys using them in the T-Rex 500 threads on HeliFreak.

It sounds like the pile of HS-85mg's I already have are really going to be marginal. If the 225 is going to be a better low cost alternative I may have to go that direction. Anyone have horror stories on these servos that are less than a year or two old?

Joe
just looked at those 225s and thier too small, nice try I need 35MM for the EXI 500.....damn Im almost ready to sell this mother, just too hard finding inexpensive servos for sport flying
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sailplane Mafia
gquiring's Avatar
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
just looked at those 225s and thier too small, nice try I need 35MM for the EXI 500.....damn Im almost ready to sell this mother, just too hard finding inexpensive servos for sport flying
225's fit fine in the EXI. Even Finless Bob has a video showing the install. They are also recommended servos in the first post of this thread.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
Registered User
lectroglide's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
225's fit fine in the EXI. Even Finless Bob has a video showing the install. They are also recommended servos in the first post of this thread.
sorry, I just doubled checked on the hitech site and thier 32.53 MM....again, the servo openings on the EXI 500 are 35MM, infact thier 37MM but 35 will work
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
Sailplane Mafia
gquiring's Avatar
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
sorry, I just doubled checked on the hitech site and thier 32.53 MM....again, the servo openings on the EXI 500 are 35MM, infact thier 37MM but 35 will work
I have a 500 EXI with 225's in it. (Not my photos)
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:33 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Look at post 1, Hitec 225's are listed.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product EXI 500 Carbon Edition RC Helicopter & 450/500 Fiberglass Canopies starting $12.95 xheli XHeli 2 Oct 06, 2009 05:03 PM
Discussion Official Trex 500 Thread? learninginverted Electric Heli Talk 0 Mar 17, 2008 11:57 PM