Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:43 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I came from the HK450 to the Exi500. The Exi500 didn't seem to require as much work as the HK450, but it does have cheap parts that need replacing or fixes. See my blog. It's got every detail (prices, setup, mods, etc) and I'm sure I'll add more since I don't have the Exi500 flying optimally yet.
I had the Align and the HK's, but I can not see spending $699 on a Guai. Yes you may spend $200 on a perfect and improved HK500 or EXI500 over the $499 Align, but your still saving $200
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:21 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
the gaui hurricane EP425 is only 69.99 for the airframe. So even with the gai esc and motr with cheap servos and gyro, you could be flying for less than 300. You could do it fr less than an exi500 if you bought cheap everyhing. That's the heli i'm debating between tho. Like I said it gets good reviews. And being a dupont employee, I love the dupont polymers in it I really like how cheap it is to upgrade to 550mm blades too.
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,843 Posts
Well it seems to me you are talking apples to oranges. The gaui everyone is loving is not the 425. but the 5x that cost $699 from the out seller. No buddy is talking about any other Gaui.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:58 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
the 5x is the latest of their helis as far as i'm aware. I looked through the hurricane thread, and although it doesn't have nearly the substance as this thread, people seemed to like it. The owner of my lhs said his only complaint is it isn't as responsive as a trex for hard 3d but I don't know how to outfly anything... So that's what I was getting at. I'm sure the newest one is awesome but like you said for 700 it should be!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
Update from my disaster

Ok my align auto gear came in today so i wanted to see the dif in them. The align gear is reinforced all over seems like the same texture or material, the align gear is about 1 to 2mm dif in thickness and bigger, more thickness around the teeth area both ways. The exi gear is more flexable to. I weighed them both at

align 21g
exi 16g

i just test fitted it and it works with the align belt gear so hopefully i can fly again.
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:01 PM
South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
Swash bearing greased?

Does anyone know if the swash bearing is pre greased? How often and with what do you grease the swash plate bearing?
Flyitall is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:52 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Should you buy an EXI 500??

@ Mr. Heilivs, you asked if you should buy an EXI 500. My tip is YES. It is good value for money, it does fly well and is well constructed. HOWEVER, it has got a few issues but the real problem is they are not constant. U could be lucky and get a kit which is 100% out of the box, or you could have to sort a few things out. Take the worst case and U have a few issues: This Forum has covered every problem known to date (I think). This Forum has so many experts who know what they are talking about that you will get help and advice within a couple of hours. All of the known problems can be sorted by purchasing a few decent screws and a trip to your local Align dealer. May cost you a couple of Bucks to get your kit up to standard but you will still have a quality flying helicopter for a lot less than the competitors.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:02 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
To add to what PaulB said, It's almost like "roll the dice" I have an EXI 500 and I have an Align 500. My EXI has Hitec digital meta gear servos and the inexpensive Helium 500 motor. I started with a cheap Volcano 60A but then added a Castle ICE 75 so I could log flights (which I never did). I fly cheap $16 blades on it. I fly it more than the Align cause for some reason, I feel like if I crash it, I won't be upset. I use it now to try new stuff and to mess around before trying it on the Align. Last year, I did that with a 450 but now do it with a 500. I've actually had more issues with my Torque Tube Align 500 than the EXI 500. Vibrating torque tube, a couple screws snapping during the re-assembly of head/tail. Things that people complain about clones do happen on Align too sometimes. Don't get me wrong, align 500 is a nice heli but the EXI 500 is a good value too. I still have all EXI 500 stock hardware to this date. I got mine about a year ago (CF version) almost when they came out.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:35 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
...but then added a Castle ICE 75 so I could log flights (which I never did).
I just really used the data log for the first time yesterday evening. What an awesome function for the engineer in me! The only problem... it now takes me three times as long to set up a heli as it normally should take. This is because I spent hours looking over the graphs and trying to analyze each and every detail.

Today's flight report: I flew during lunch and finally got the heli rock solid. I did some FFF and flips. I had to bring the gyro gain down to 14% (true gain). I guess I have too much mechanical gain, but the heli flies great. I've never seen a tail stop so hard. I can't imagine the forces required to do that. Awesome sound when the tail comes to such a hard, abrupt stop. During the second flight I heard a "tick" during an inverted hover and thought, "what was that?" I thought I splattered a bug. Upon landing, my flybar had a big joggle in it, some seriously big bug I must have hit! No damage to the paddles or blades, only to the flybar. 1 minute later I found that my temporary nose weight (a 3/16" allen wrench) was missing! Ah ha! It wasn't strapped down tight enough and just fell thru the blade disc while inverted. Another trip to the LHS on my to-do list.
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:22 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,843 Posts
To add to PaulB as well. You may get to your lhs and find they are sold out of the exact items you need. A strange thing indeed? lol!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:45 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I know nothing is perfect, and I have had my share of issues with align parts too, but nothing in comparison to my HK. The guys at my LHS tell me they set up a heli, then fly it over and over till it crashes. I normally get a handful at best of flights through my HK before something fails. Now that it has more and more align parts, it is getting better... A for instance, I bent an HK main shaft on my 450 just from spool up. Perfectly balanced. No tip over. Just spun up and bent it. Sounds rediculous? I get things like that all the time from the HK parts. Or a screw stripped before its even used. Just too many manufacturer defects. So I was asking more if you have that sort of thing from the EXI, and it sounds like no. Like I said, I know parts fail and wear and tear is common, but it should last a few flights before it fails...

As for the torque tubes, Ive heard BAD things about them, unless you are super gentle when landing. I hear a grassy field is all it takes to mess up the gears. Thats another reason Id go for an EXI before a Trex500 just so I can get a belt.

Thanks again guys. I have a while to decide. my HK450 has cost me some money recently, so it will be awhile before I get the wife's approval to spend more.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:54 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
so it will be awhile before I get the wife's approval to spend more.
Do what I did. Get her pregnant and then tell her this is the last chance you'll have to spend money on yourself. Think I'm kidding? That's how I decked out my Exi with the nice stuff Not one single order placed overseas
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
Do what I did. Get her pregnant and then tell her this is the last chance you'll have to spend money on yourself. Think I'm kidding? That's how I decked out my Exi with the nice stuff Not one single order placed overseas
Oh so you got her pregnant a lot. lol!! I used things like, Honey if I sell my 6ex and get the 7c futaba I only have to pay $100 which is how much more the 7c would cost and another RX
Make it look like you got a hell of a deal and they understand that you had no choice in the mater. You had to get it right now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:39 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Well, normally what I do is buy her something nice, and then she can't really complain since I got her something... She just complained about the bed, so she got a new bed.... That is worth a few helicopters, so maybe I'll be ok?

hahaha good discussion guys!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:48 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,382 Posts
Well now that you have a new bed, you know what to do next in order to justify more helis